Anyone Show Dogs here too?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minisch

Reaction score
I love to show...... LOVE dogs. It seems very similar to showing minis. Is it? What are the costs? What breed do you have?

I have AKC Havanese and show them, and also put them with a trainer. I like the showing - Havanese are a grooming "chore", but thankfully they are to be shown "au natural" so not a lot of snipping & over-primping - just need to keep the coat tangle free and fluffy. At this point the Havanese ring is not as competitve as other breeds, an owner/handler can still win and take the points - that said, a professional handler is probably going to get the job done (get your Championship title) a little faster - but a lot more expensively

For me, it kind of boils down to time - dog showing can eat up a lot of weekends, and in the spring/summer I am very committed to the horses, so if I have a dog that is competitive a handler is the best/fastest way to get my dog finished. I do say, that I enjoy the Havanese people, they are still a younger breed and still attract a lot of owner/handler types, so for me it is still fun to show since a lot of the people in the ring are as clumsy as I am. There are other breeds that I would be woefully inadequate - ie, retrievers, boxers, poodles, terriers, shepards, dobies, rotties, probably a few others - but those breeds seem to be dominated by professional handlers and you can pretty much expect the handler to take the points.

In showing dogs you don't get your "Championship" title until you achieve 15 points, and of those 2 or 3 need to be "Majors" & remember, there is only 1 judge at a time, not multiples like in horses - a lot different than showing a horse which can get a "Championshp" title in one show, under one judge! Also, the only way you get ANY points in dog shows is to win your sex division or go Best Opposite - not easy at all! In other words, you can win your class, but to get any points you need to compete your dog against all the other class winners (& reserves) of all age groups & color groups and if you win against all of those you will get the points - reserve gets NO points (hate that!)

All in all it is a lot of fun, definately a challenge and a great place to learn. Good luck, have fun, keep us posted!

Stacy

I have shown dogs for over 30 years and have had some of the top dogs int he World. The Tibetan that just won Cruffs in England comes down from my lines.

I no longer show dogs as I am too busy with the Minis. Tibetans are a long coated breed so it requies a lot of work to keep one in coat. I showed all of my Champions owner handled and am not comfortable sending one to a trainer. I know a lot of the games that trainers play, used to know quite a few now very famous trainers and judges.

If I am going to send anything to a trainer at this point, it would be a Mini. The cost is about the same.

I still breed Tibetans and still sell them to show homes. Just do not show myself anymore.

default_saludando.gif
Yep, I have been showing dogs for about 2 1/2 years now!
default_biggrin.png
And thoroughly enjoying it! Actually, I much prefer showing the dogs to showing horses.....but I think that is just the fact that it's much easier to transport the dogs (at least my dogs).

This is my Cardigan Welsh Corgi, Can CH Finnshavn Bubble Gum Moxie Am RN CGC winning her 2nd US Major! She now has 10 points in the US.

moxus22.jpg

I didn't buy Moxie as a show dog, but her breeder agreed to sell her to me, then twisted my arm to show her! I have had a blast, and I've travelled all over going to shows!
default_smile.png
She finished in Canada as a Jr Puppy (so under 9 months of age, and remember, they can't be shown until they are 6 months old), and in Canada you need 10 points, with 2 sets being more than 2 points - which for Cardigans is hard to get because they are not as popular as they are in the US. She also picked up 2 Puppy Group wins, which means she beat all the other herding group puppies!
default_aktion033.gif
So after that, her breeder got me interested in showing in the US. I haven't been to a lot of shows with her in the US because of travelling, being away all weekend, weather, and well summer is harder for me to get away from here due to big horse priorities, but she picked up both her Majors at Supported Entry shows (which are shows the Cardigan Corgi Club of America supports and they have prizes and tends to bring out a larger entry for the breed). Moxie also has her Rally Novice title (Rally is like an intro to Obedience). Oh, and I have handled her through all of it.....and personally wouldn't do it any other way, but I do know why people place them with handlers....especially the ones that have to be groomed to a tee. Cardigans are still pretty much owner handled....the one that won at Westminster this year is and has been owner handled.

Now I have a 2nd generation to start showing! They will be old enough on May 4th...and I can hardly wait!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif

~kathryn

I have shown Pembroke Welsh corgis for years and May 4 my Lily (daughter of Moxie) can start showing. I laugh when people complain about how expensive it is to show dogs! HAH!

No health papers of any kind, entry fees are about 20 bucks or so, only one class to show in if you show conformation. No horse trailer, no truck..... Just entry fees, gas, motel, food. No bodyclipping of the corgis so grooming is a snap.

However, if you use a handler, they charge every time they step in the ring, so if the dog wins its class, they charge to go in for winners dog/bitch, if you win that there is a charge to show in best of breed, if they win that, they charge for showing in the group, etc. They also charge extra when they win, so for instance they tack on extra $$ to the $$ they charge for each class!

The owner/handlers just like the owners of horses complain of politics, how the handlers always win, but I have the same observation for both, the pros had better be winning most of the time or they won't be pro for long. They know how to pick the best, groom and present to the best of that animal's advantage.

Many loonnnggg years ago when I was a junior handler I showed GSD's and a Borzoi. Then when I grew up and became a pet groomer for a living I wanted to show poodles, so I had a mini (owner handled, groomed and finished, thankfully she was a great dog but it still took forever to finish her!) and a toy (that stinker hated walking on grass and wouldnt show he is now my 13 year old pet). I also learned to groom and handle American Cockers (I owned one for a while but she went back to the beeder to be a mom) and Scottish terriers. Now I have a Norwich terrier that was finished by a handler cause keeping a terrier coat in its prime is a full time job! I remember being a junior handler and walking into the open ring with my GSD and almost walking out because there was Jimmie Moses with Manhatten. That dog was amazing...

The picture below is my norwich Dubi, finishing his championship earlier in the year.

Tammy

dubi.jpg

I have to admit i am really wanting to try my hand at showing dogs, to me it seems allot like showing minis. I just wouldnt know where to start, maybe in the future right now the horses are my full time priority BUT i would love to make it to a few dog shows this year to watch and ejoy and get a general idea.

To me showing dogs would seem much cheaper. No $60 stall. No $15,000 horse trailer. No huge gas fee due to pulling a trailer, you can take a car. Paying the small gas fee, entry fee and hotel is nothing!

Someday ...

One of the nicest things about showing dogs is that you have a pretty darn good idea of when you are actually going to be in the ring - unlike horse shows that can string you out for hours. THAT is a huge bonus for people like me who are "time deprived"! And of course being able to take ALL your stuff in the back seat of an average car - that includes crate, grooming table, all your "stuff" and the dog of course!

Wow I am so in the company of people like me!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I have a professional handler in my family that guided me as a JR. Handler (also mannnnnnny moons ago) and I loved it. Actually my first horse show at the ripe ole age of 8, I walked into the ring with my horse on my left side.
default_blush.png

There are so many things the same and yet there are huge differences. I personally have gotten to the point that I want to compete in more fun things that seem to not have the high dollar, cut your throat, type of stress. Agility and obedience rings for me. The breed of dog also has alot to do with it. Look for a breed that could be owner-handled to a Ch., some breeds such as Dobe's (luff 'em) most owner handlers do not stand a chance.

What ever you do have fun.

I have been showing and raising dogs for over 30 years. When I sold my big horses I started showing dogs. I have bred /owned champions in multiple breeds including afghan hounds, basenjis, english mastiffs, affenpinschers and chinese cresteds. I currently have an english cream mini dachshund female that has 7 points and 7 major RESERVE wins
default_wink.png
. Lets just say she is a real challenge to show :DOH!

I now have cresteds, affens and a few dach. Most of my dogs are coowned with friends. The horses take up a lot of my time and with foalings I cant make too many shows. Im lucky to have lots of friends that are addicted to dog shows, LOL. Over the big January show circuit of dog shows here in Florida one of my affen females finished her championship. It was nice as there were affens and big name handlers there from all over the country and it was a major win. In december 07 an affen puppy I bred and coown with Keely won her 1st points with me showing her. My bad little Dach girl won that weekend too.

Dog showing is MUCH cheaper than the horse shows but u can spend as much as much as you want
default_yes.gif
. Just check out all the custom motor homes if u get to a dog show. If u can show a horse u can show a dog, try it youll like it
default_yes.gif

This is Ch. Hairicane Zion shown by my friend Kiko.

Zion5ptmajorwin805small.JPG

This is a little Zion Daughter, she is a chocolate powderpuff.

DovezionFpuffchocstacktailcurlGOOD11w.jpg

This is one of our current little affen pups.

PMMstandfrtGREAT12wk.jpg

I've been showing dogs since the late 70's, started with Afghan Hounds, changed to Siberian Huskies in the early 80's, then came back to the Sighthounds (Salukis) 15 years ago.

If you're also showing the horses it's a whole 'nother "thing" to do. Dog showing is a lifestyle. We pull our horse trailer with a full size van as we need one to travel with the dogs. We have drastically slowed down on the dog shows since starting with the horses. While walking a Saluki at Nationals sooo many people

approached me and said they had given up showing dogs...they just couldn't do both.

We have found that many of our big dog show weekends coincide with the horse show weekends.

When you show dogs, you often end up with many of them, just like in the horses.

Therefore, we have both a barn full of horses as well as 10 dogs to take care of, groom, condition, etc. now. Many hours spent.

And yes, it's terribly political.

Makes it pretty tricky to find animal care when you're away will do things the way you want

for both. The dog sitter we used to use would not do horses...but we've been fortunate to

find somebody. But being away from home for a few days adds up.

Dog shows CAN get costly, when you figure out your gas nowadays, entry fees are up too.

You figure 25.00+ per dog per day, if you are showing 2-3 dogs for a four day weekend

it can add up pretty fast. Add the cost of parking, which has around here been about $8.00/day.

Food, hotels, etc. As well as the sitter fees at home.

When Frank and Karen from Jo-Co came to spend the day at a dog show with us, they

could hardly believe the magnitude of the size of it, being as it was just a local show, and that

we were in the ring for 2 minutes and then were finished until the following day.

No, you don't have to rent stalls, but you have an awful lot of equipment you have to lug into

buildings, and then find a place to cram your stuff once you get inside. Not as much stuff though

as you have to take to a horse show!!

HOWEVER...

Obviously I would not have been doing this for 30+ years if I didn't enjoy it!! We recently

found ourselves in the position where all the dogs were finished, (completed their Championships)

and were getting older, and it was time to make the decision to either get out of the sport (dogs

retire here of course) or jump back in with both feet with some younger dogs. So, we now have

16 month old Coco and 5 month old Risha driving us nuts.
default_biggrin.png

I do have to admit that we no longer have the drive to get up at 3am to drive through a sleet storm

to get to "THE DOG SHOW".
default_wacko.png

I would say if you are intrigued, put on your thick skin, jump in and DO IT! If you love it, great, if you don't at least you've tried it. Life is too short to look back and wonder.

Good luck!

Shelley

Last edited by a moderator:
I showed Vizsla for several years and am just now getting back into possibly showing with my wirehaired vizsla which is a rare breed in the US. I'm learning to hand-strip the coat which is a lot of work and an ongoing process. I'm thinking about showing my minis, but I don't have a clue how to clip them or get them ready for the show ring. I'm looking for a good trainer within a 250 mile radius of Lincoln, Nebraska if anyone knows of one. I have a stallion out of Lutes Komo Dandy that I would like to have a trainer look at and evaluate for driving/showing potential.

This is our bred-by Harlequin Great Dane dog

BIS/RBIS UKC CH, Multi IABCA Int'l/Nat'l CH Sixstar's The Eagle Has Landed, CGC, TT, RN

miniEagleWD.jpg

(pictured at 3yrs of age - his 1st points; a 3pt major)

gdcaBBEeagle.jpg

(pictured at 4 1/2 winning 1st Bred-by Dog at the Great Dane National Specialty)

mtpalomarWDEagle.jpg

(pictured at 5yrs of age)

I enjoy owner handling.

Showed our 1st Great Dane in 1999

Entry fees typically are $18-$28.

If you have Qs just holler
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back