Anyone ever seen this before?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnRs Lilnickers

Reaction score
I have a three week old filly that has this (not even sure what to call it), it almost looks like her skull is showing...it has alittle drainage coming out of it, it seems to be clear fluid. I have been trying to put cut heal on it. I really hate to call the vet but might have to since I have no clue what it really is. It doesn't seem to hurt her at all. The hair is wet because we washed it up.

Any ideas???

PICT0002-1.jpg

I've never seen anything like that but I would definitely call the vet. Is it raised up or flat?

Is this the same little filly that has the situation with her nostril/eye?

If it is, I really think she needs a really good going over in a hospital or with a very good vet. I would not hesitate to call the vet and see what is going on there. Good luck with this precious little one.

Looks like some kind of abcess. Im with Marty I would get a vet out asap. Especially if this is the filly with the eye - nostril problem. Im betting that sinuses are backing up etc Sending good thoughts

I would DEFINATELY be on the phone to the vet...
default_sad.png

I have heard of teeth being found in drainage areas such as this, beleive it or not. It had something to do with absorbed twins or something.
default_unsure.png
With the other facial problems this filly has, I think a good check-up is in order...who knows what is going on in that poor little head?

I would not think Cut Heal would help that!! I too would have a vet out ASAP!! I hope its nothing serious and she gets better soon...let us know what the vet says, Good luck and lots of prayers sent to your filly, Heidi

You really need to get a vet out now ! Looks pretty serious.

lilnickers, I HAVE seen something very similar to this. Back in the early 60s, we had a mini mare (aka midget Shetland) that had a foal. She had been in foal when my dad bought her. She had the cutest little bay pinto..just like herself..filly. The filly had a bump like that one , only bigger. It was about 3/4" -1" or so that stuck out, and about 1" diameter. It didn't "leak" that I can remember, but it was a bit soft, and would go in and out. When I say "in and out" I mean that sometimes it would be out, and sometimes it would be sunk in for a few days then come back out.

She also had a curly tail..not the hair, the dock grew in a circle and gave the appearance that she had a docked tail.

We had our good horse vet look at it, and he said he had never seen it in a horse before, but had seen it in pigs. He said that it was caused by a lot of inbreeding in hogs. This mare had come from a pony ride breeder, and so she probably WAS very inbred.

We had called the vet because the bump went in, and flys got in the hollow and she had maggots in there (so maybe it did leak a bit and that is what drew the flys). So, the next time it came out, he cut it off and it looked ok then.

I have no idea what happened to the pair of them as we took them to auctiion. The fact of the filly having this problem, plus the mare had colic several times a week, led my dad to say they had to go.

edited to add that I always said that she was a unicorn
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the bump smaller than the end of your thumb? Fly larve? Like the 'blow fly' that cattle get? Is it getting bigger? I've seen this in puppies and kittens that were exposed to certain flys. Had a big larve growing in there. The MOST GROSS thing I've ever seen!

I think I would want a vet to see it right away.

Charlotte

I want to thank all of you for your helpful ideas, I am callling the vet tomorrow and getting him out as soon as he can, I only want the one vet who knows the most as the others always have to check with him anyways so I am going to requist him. I will keep you posted on what happens. Thanks again

default_smileypuke.gif
It's still here Mary Lou!
default_new_rofl.gif

Yes, please get a Vet to treat that thing. It does look like it would attract bugs and get infected! Let us know what it is when you find out, would you?

I'm happy you're calling the vet and will be interested to hear what the medical verdict is. I hope she will be okay and this will get better fast.

Until you all mentioned it, I hadn't even thought of flies, maggots, etc., but after you did, I can sure picture it (um... thanks...). But that is a very, very valid concern that just hadn't crossed my mind until it was pointed out.

Hey .. what was that thing on the top of your horses head? I am sure the vet has been out by now ...any news? hope it was something simple and will heal quickly with the right meds.
default_smile.png

likely not possible...but "warble flies"?????

I think cows are only infected, but that is sort of what they look like.

From the subcutaneous swelling, the warble will puncture the skin when coming out of the bovine. From those numerous holes, the hide is rendered valueless.

The migrating larvae can cause damage to meat as the tunnels they make fill with a substance known as butcher's jelly.[2] Growing livestock may have a lower daily weight gain. Milk yields may also suffer, but in adult cows, the infestation is generally limited, due to immunisation following the first infestation, as a calf.

Warble fly has been eradicated in many countries, beginning from Denmark and Western Germany, in the 1960s. They have also been eradicated from the United Kingdom, [3] as well as from Belgium. The method was the pour on application of a organophosphorus compound.

From the 1980s, the preventive treatment is easier, by subcutaneous use of Ivermectin, but the warble fly remains present in North Africa.

The vet will be here tomorrow afternoon, I wanted the best vet and he couldn't get here until then. I could have had a different vet but prefer to wait for the one who knows the most, as long as it doesn't seem to bother her in any, they didn't seem to think it would be a problem to wait for him. I did email them pictures of it and then dropped off pictures also so they had some kind of an idea as to what it might be. I will let everyone know tomorrow afternoon what I find out.

Keep her in your prayers that it is something minor.

Does kinda look like a warble fly but they dont usually go on top of the head. Its usually in the neck but I guess anything is possible!

Last edited by a moderator:
After seeing Marty's post you might trty covering it with vaseline.

It can't hurt, and if it is a living breathing thing it will come up looking for air.

Aargh Charlotte & Mary Lou, nearly lost my breakfast over that description!
default_new_shocked.gif
Marty, didn't read your links - too early in the morning LOL.

Will be interested to hear what the vet has to say, hope it's nothing major.

Jan

Hmmm, thats a tuff one. Us there any possibilty that some sort of acidic thing could have gotten on her head, either it being on a plant in the pasture, or something spilled in the barn??? Maybe she rubbed on something like a big rock that rubbed the hair off??? BEst of luck with the vet.

Latest posts

Back