Anyone ever hear of mini horse schooling shows?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasstackminis

Reaction score
When started showing my "big" horses I would break myself and my horses in at schooling shows. These were way less expensive and not so much stress. Most people were beginners, the show was a one day affair, and we showed out of our trailer. While braiding and show fancies were not necessary for most of the competitions (halter classes were often spotted with many nylon halters!) I always used the shows for practice and braided and dressed up myself and my horse like it was a big show so I would be ready. Anybody ever hear of this in the mini world? I have tried going to "big" horse open shows but I swear the judges usually don't even look at my minis. Hows an amature supposed to practice without robbing a bank!!!

wacko.gif

I belong to the NWMHC(Northwest Miniature Horse Club) and they usually have at least a couple of schooling shows prior to the start of the regular show season. I don't know where you're from but you may have a mini-horse club that does the same. Good Luck.

I have never been to a AMHA or AMHR show. But our local saddle club added a mini class just for us and we are on our third year. I won High Point Halter the first year with my stud and then we added a mini donkey class for our donks and this year I won High Point Halter with Miniature Donkey.........hehehehe.......I might not go to the "BIG SHOWS" but I got some big trophies for my gang.......
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
yes.gif
yes.gif
and this year I am showing my new miniature mule. Plus he will be doing therapy work with my stud at the local nursing home.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Yes, the NWMHC does this for the horses and for the handlers.

It is three days, though, well, really two and a half days, but there are clinics and classes and lots of fun and learning to be had.

A few weeks prior, they have a clinic for the people, with just a few "demo" horses in attendance, to help people learn about subjects relating both to shows and management of Minis such as grooming/clipping for show, breeding, dentistry, various health care issues and tacking up like harnessing, etc.

It's a great service and I always appreciate being able to attend the first clinic, which has always been FREE and open to anyone, member or not, and then the Schooling Show, which has very affordable rates, and open to anyone as well, and horses don't even have to be registered to attend the Schooling Show held in Boring, OR.

http://www.nwmhc.com/ they will have a schedule of shows, for those in the NW area. Hopefully there is a club local to you that has similar events. They are invaluable.

Liz M.

People in my area of VA are really lucky, because there is such a thing for minis in Richmond at Dorey Park. The Varina Rising Stars 4H group has a miniature horse show every month, with pretty good turnout! At this show there are all the classes: showmanship, halter, model, color, obstacle, driving, hunter, jumper and I think even liberty now. Classes are like $5/each and there's even payback. The A and B divisions are not separated. You even get to go into Open Halter and kick big horse butt (along with separate mini halter). I used to send my horses to this show and I think this coming year, there's a good chance I'll be there for fun and for schooling both the horses and myself. Plus, it looks like the first registry show close enough to me (within 250 miles!) isn't until towards the end of May and I'm wanting to show before then and more often for the fun of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be able to get the regular riding club to add classes for minis. I take some of mine to a show that has about 20 or so mini classes and at the same time the large horse classes are going on. I want to use this show to get me and my horses more experience then start at the bigger shows when I have more money.

Amanda

aktion033.gif
How do you find out when and get directions to get there? Would love to be able to atend some this coming year with "my" youngens.

Jill said:
People in my area of VA are really lucky, because there is such a thing for minis in Richmond at Dorey Park.  The Varina Rising Stars 4H group has a miniature horse show every month, with pretty good turnout!  At this show there are all the classes:  showmanship, halter, model, color, obstacle, driving, hunter, jumper and I think even liberty now.  Classes are like $5/each and there's even payback.  The A and B divisions are not separated.  You even get to go into Open Halter and kick big horse butt (along with separate mini halter).  I used to send my horses to this show and I think this coming year, there's a good chance I'll be there for fun and for schooling both the horses and myself.  Plus, it looks like the first registry show close enough to me (within 250 miles!) isn't until towards the end of May and I'm wanting to show before then and more often for the fun of it.
515722[/snapback]

Here is their website. I think that their first show is in March and they are the same weekend each month, but now I don't remember if it's the first Saturday of the month, or the second, or what. I haven't taken horses there regularly in a couple years but am seriously thinking about it as a training tool and for fun this coming year. I could use the practice w/ Sunny and the two youngsters could use the off the farm experiences!

Varina Rising Stars -- the Dorey Park, Richmond, VA Mini Shows

I live in Texas. I really want to show some halter this year. I have several yearlings that deserve to be shown. I just have no clue!
unsure.gif
I have always done performance shows with my big guys and never halter or showmanship. I went to m first show 2 years ago and showed in the open class. Little did I know that the show I went to was the show that all the trainers bring their horses to qualify for the World show and they were showing in the open class against me!
wacko.gif
The next year I took my then weanling filly to a show at the same place, this time in the Amature class...much better. Then I brought home a filly who 7 days later was so sick with strangles, she had to spend 5 days in the hospital with tubes and a treacheotomy (sp?).
sad.gif
I never had this much trouble with my big guys! I hope this year will be better.

Latest posts

Back