Anybody else in the NorthEast Ice Storm??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Yes, we have been hit hard as well. We ran out of oil and had no heat or hot water Mon/Tues waiting for the oil company to come out. We had heat back for Wed. Thursday at 10:30 PM we lost power. At 12:30 PM our house alarm went off for no apparent reason. The alarm company could not shut it off. So we had to listen to a blaring, high pitched noise all night long. The cats were crying, dogs were shaking and we had pillows over our heads. It was horrible.

Friday the kids had no school. I work for OB/GYN doctors at York Hospital which also did not have power. We had to reschedule 4 offices of patients. And let me telling you rescheduling a bunch of hormonal pregnant women is no picnic. The doctors had to do surgeries/deliveries by generator which made things more difficult.

We do not have a woodstove or generator. We have well water. So we had no heat, electricity, phone or water. Most of the hotels and stores including grocery stores were closed. We couldn’t find jugs of water for the horses. So I had to go from store to store buying little bottles of water trying to keep 6 horses from going thirsty. I was so worried they would colic. It was so hard to try to keep their buckets full. They were drinking it faster than I could fill it. We stuck it out staying under sleeping bags, not showering, eating junk and being pretty much miserable. The house hovered around 30 degrees.

Saturday was my son’s First Lego League Competition in Standish, ME which was not canceled. We got to the competition unshowered and frozen to the bone. 1 ½ hours into the competition the school lost power and we were all sent home. We went through another night of my husband, 2 kids, 4 cats and 2 dogs huddled in a bed together.

Sunday I decided enough was enough. We hadn’t bathed since Thursday, we were dying for a decent meal, our bathrooms were gross (couldn’t flush the toilets) and I was so worried about the horses not getting enough water. So we finally checked into a hotel (the last room available). We are fortunate to have one with 2 bedrooms, kitchen and living room. I have never been so happy to use a shower in my life!!! I was also able to fill up large containers of warm water in the bathtub and keep the horses happily hydrated.

As of today, still no power. Makayla had school but Noah didn’t. So my husband and son are still at the hotel. They are saying we may get power back sometime between Wed and Friday. In the meantime I will be running back and forth between the barn and the hotel to make sure the animals are okay. I am at work now with internet access only to LB, not email.

I know there are a lot of people in my same situation. I wish you all the best and that this doesn’t last much longer for you.

Sue

We got power back a couple of hours ago. SUE, OMG! I thought I had it bad! You guys are having a BRUTAL time of it! I'm so sorry for your family. I pray you get your power back soon!

Now comes the cleanup! I just threw out every bit of food in my refrigerator and freezer. They are totally empty. I have a 55 gallon fish tank and everyone of my fish froze to death.
default_sad.png
I'll have to tackle that in a bit. I'm so sad for my fishies. We should have checked the generator before the winter and not waited until we needed it. We will never let this happen again.

Prayers to everybody without power and I hope it returns soon to everyone.

Joyce

WOW!! This is why I live in the desert.... and I was complaining today because our high was 45 and it's raining a bit.

Good grief, I can't imagine what you all are going through and trying to take care of animals too. (Sorry to hear about the frozen fishes) Hope you all get things straightened around SOON and hope that folks are taking care of each other during this horrible storm! I hope everyone is ok and everyone's animals are all ok too!!!!

We still do not have power. After staying in a hotel for 2 nights we checked out this morning. Not only has it just become too costly with Christmas being next week but we have been hearing about houses being broken into with nobody being home. The hotel didn’t allow pets. We were able to sneak in our little daschund but didn’t think we could get away with our collie or lab so they were staying at the house at night alone with plenty of comforters and blankets to snuggle up with. But even though I was coming back late at night to let them out and returning early in the morning they were starting to have accidents, which I certainly couldn’t blame them for and felt badly about. Besides, we missed them as much as they missed us. So we are back to having no heat, electricity or water. I am not so concerned about getting water for the horses as we have filled up several large containers at the hotel and several LB friends have kindly offered to help us out if need be.

I hear we have a snow storm coming in starting tomorrow. I hope we get power before that happens.

Sue

Hi Sue,

I'm very sorry to hear things are so bad for you there!!! PLEASE, if there is ANYTHING I can do, let me know...I will be happy to help! We got our power back on last night at 5pm., but we have a generator which runs the whole house so we were very fortunate. I have a friend who lives on this end of 91 and she just got power back this morning, so hang in there...help is coming though VERY SLOWLY!!!!!

Sending prayers
default_pray.gif
and {{{{HUGS}}}} for everyone going thru this ordeal!!!

Shelly

Last edited by a moderator:
Sue, I'm so sorry for you and your family. The dogs were probably stressed and wondering what the heck was going on.

If my generator was working, I would bring it to you in a heartbeat.

I pray you get power today.

Joyce

Thank you for the offers. It is hard for me to communicate without a house phone, cell phone or internet. The only thing I can access at work is LB. Makayla has a cell though and right now we are managing. But I will definitely get in touch if it comes down to desperately needing something for the animals or the kids.

Sue

Thank you for the offers. It is hard for me to communicate without a house phone, cell phone or internet. The only thing I can access at work is LB. Makayla has a cell though and right now we are managing. But I will definitely get in touch if it comes down to desperately needing something for the animals or the kids.
Sue

Sue,

Is your house wired up for a generator? I could ask hubby to lend you ours...

I have pics of the ice storm from the barn I rent. I started another post it's on the 1st page of the bcak porch.

It's called I have pictures of the ice storm from my town.

Christy

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sue,

We don't have power either! Luckily, Patty's place just got power back so I don't have to worry about Pogo anymore. I was delivering jugs of Spring water to the barn for several days as they were using run-off water which I didn't like the idea of. Pogo didn't seem to notice or care though.

We lost our power Thursday night. I spent the weekend with friends in Dover who had power. We went out to get lunch on Friday and it took us 3 hours just to find a place that was open and didn't have a huge wait. Traffic was slow. And you know the world is coming to an end when Wal Mart is closed . . . . Target however was open, but was cleaned out of water, ice, and batteries.

I totally stripped Pogo's stall today and put in fresh bedding. It doesn't have much natural light so lots of crud and wetness that we couldnt see was left in the stall the last few days, so now it's fresh, clean, dry, and warm.

Our house has a generator which we run a few hours at a time, but it's still obnoctious. I am at the publi library in Rochester a few times a day to check my email. The only bright side is that The Olive Garden has been really busy so I am making a lot of money. I seem to get higher tips when I tell them I still have no power
default_smile.png

Missed the Cape, we got a ton of rain but not enough to even call a storm. I've been talking to Becca, (NewMiniOwner) however, (thank god for cell phones!) who's up in New Hampshire, and isn't expecting power back till the end of the week. No generator, so keep her and her family in your prayers!

To everyone else still under the ice, we're sending warm hugs from Cape Cod!

Missed the Cape, we got a ton of rain but not enough to even call a storm. I've been talking to Becca, (NewMiniOwner) however, (thank god for cell phones!) who's up in New Hampshire, and isn't expecting power back till the end of the week. No generator, so keep her and her family in your prayers!
To everyone else still under the ice, we're sending warm hugs from Cape Cod!
Ya I'm up in NH as well and am friends with becca. I just got power Monday morning. It had been out since Thursday. My horse was fine thank god cuz I was worried that he would be cold :Cold-Scared But He is fine. I will definately pray for Becca because I know she hates the cold.
default_pray.gif

I hope everyone stays warm cuz I know what you all are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you who still don't have power
default_pray.gif

Paige

"Sue

I didnt read this until this morning hope with the return of power things are a little brighter for you. If you ever are in a situation like that again you can always come bunk here I know we are a fair distance away but wouldnt see you without if there were anything we could do for you. Hoping this finds you warm and without too much damage.

Nita

Thanks Anita, so kind of you to offer.

Situations like this makes you appreciate how fortunate you are not only to have heat, water and electricity but it also makes you realize what good true friends you have that will be there for you if needed.

Hope everyone has a very happy and warm holiday!

Sue

I hope everyone is starting to get their electricty back. We dodge a HUGE bullet. Mo was suppose to be hit by an ice storm and it didn't come. WHEW!!!! We've just had cold weather. 12, 17, and 21* Today it is 26*. My automatic waterers are real icy even though I have heat tape on them. So I have water in buckets but it's icy, but they're drinking. I let them out of the barn to get some exercise and fresh air and we've had just a dusting of snow. I'm SOOOO thankful, we missed the ice storm and I pray everyone that did get hit by it is doing better. TJ

Latest posts

Back