Anybody else in the NorthEast Ice Storm??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luv2ridesaddleseat

Reaction score
I've had no power, electricity, or HEAT of any kind since Thursday night. It is FREEZING here. My hubbys work has power so we came here to warm up for a while. I'm lugging buckets of water from the run off that we have as it isn't frozen yet for the horses. I've bought every bottle of water I can find! Any store that has power near me doesn't have a drop of water left, not a flashlight or even a battery. My tropical fish and my turtles are in cold water! I worry for my animals.
default_sad.png
The cats seem fine, the French Bulldog is here with us at hubbys work as at home, even with his coat on he is shivering! It still may be days before we get our power back.

Please pray for the sickly and the elderly. They could never survive this in their homes.

I'll be back on when we get power!

Joyce

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Joyce we're here in Mo and it's suppose to hit us Sunday night. I"ll pray for you and your animals. So sorry it hit you guys. How scary, hang in there. Wrap up in lot's of blankets. I do hope they get the power on soon. Snuggle your doggy. I agree, how can the elderly survive that. I know 2 years ago S.W. Mo had an ice storm and it lasted 2 weeks without power. We weren't living here at the time, but a lot of people really didn't fare very well. I don't look forward to it that's for sure. TJ

We are lucky we do have power but there are over 100,000 without in this state. My son is one of them he has been without since 'Thursday night. They are Ok with woodstove and kerosene lamps. Water is a problem for them with a big horse and bunny and dogs to care for but a friend brought him water this afternoon. We only live 15 minutes from him and would have taken him water if the friend hadnt. HIs problem is the mega water coming into his basement. He borrowed our generator to run the sub pump. Most of his neighbors have wood heat for backup and the ones that dont have gone to the school for shelter. One of his neighbors is an 80+ year old lady but she also is doing fine with a woodstove and good neighbors who have kept the wood box full.

Been there.........and I do feel for you! Last year we were without power or running water for two weeks.

Can you take containers to your husband's work and get water from there? Do you have a camp stove? You can warm water on it for your fish and turtle........

I take it you don't have a fireplace or wood stove. That was our life savor last winter. We also had irrigation water stored that we used for flushing toilets and for watering the horses, which sounds a lot like your "run-off" water.

Keep us posted!

We just got power back on this afternoon. About 36 hours. We use a generator which is huge help. We heat with wood all the time in winter so no big change there. Not a lot of damage in the immediate area but enought to take out lots of power lines.

Drove to Nashua NH yesterday evening to pick up son at college. Huge sections of Maine and NH with out any power. Really strange driving past entire towns for miles on route 101 in NH and not see a light. Route 125 in Exeter had power and I pulled off to get gas. What a huge mistake. Every station there had the lots jammed full of cars in every direction!

Fast food joints were packed as well. I did get gas in Amherst but that station only had "super" left at $2.05 a gallon.

Mark

We got power back this morning at 3am. The barn I keep my riding horses at (that I rent) has no power still and it's only 5 minutes from me. It does have a gravity fed well so they do have ice cold water. I have a flooded basement as my house is 200 years old (almost), my dad needs a nebulizer, breathing machine at night (we finally got 2 generators last night). I had to boil water just to wash my hair!! Propane guy is supposed to come tomorrow to start the hot water furnace agin so we can all take showers. I have to bring hot water up to the other barn to make luke warm water for the horses to drink. All my horses like warm water when it's below 25 degrees. Good luck to everyone else. I have some pictures of it here at my rental barn. I can't get them to come up big enough to see.

Christy

is2.jpg

I'm pretty sure there are those out there who have no way to reply to the forum -- let's all preay for a fast resolve for everyone without power. Anyone you know who is in the areas "out" you might want to attempt to contact them.

We had a hurricane here one year and went without power for 10 days
default_wacko.png
What a hassle and it was NOT cold weather. Fortunate that I have alternate heat along with my central which is electric and generators. Sure helps to be able to pump water.

Our Hott Wash units can do a nice job for quick showers with a 110 generator -- remember that, as electric water heaters need 220 and not all generators are....they are not just for horse shows
default_wink.png

We were very lucky and had our power back by noon yesterday at our main farm...... Just got done setting up the generator and the lights came on. We have another barn about 5 minutes away and there is still no power there. We had a lot of tree branches and limbs all over the place, as well as massacred trees. Our pear tree next to the house was completely up-rooted and also had a gorgeous blooming tree beside the barn that was completely demolished. Some of our fencing was damaged too. My round pen at the end of the barn flooded and almost backed up into the barn, so we took about 20 wheelbarrow loads of water out of there, and reduced it by half..... Now its frozen. Today, we found a downed power line on the back side of our property, dangling above our small turnout off of the barn, and the lines go to our arena.... Just a mess! The electric company has not made it out yet.... There is a lot of destruction a few towns over, so I am sure they are sending most of the trucks there. Luckily, our horses are all safe, warm, and content, so I am extremely thankful.

Hope everyone else made it through the storm ok..... We are in Central Mass and I know that it was a lot worse North of here.....

I never lost power. There are a few branches down but nothing big around my house. Theres a really nice victorian in my town and 2 large branches fell on it. I don't think they took down to roof though.

Boy it's situations like this that remind me to count my blessings!

Early last week, the pump in our septic system quit. Two days and $1500 later, we could flush toilets and wash clothes again without wondering if it was gonna run out on the surface (it never did.)

Two days ago, our microwave oven died. You don't realize how much you use these gadgets, until they don't work!

The same storm that has knocked the power out in the northeast poured almost 4 inches of rain on us, mud, mud everywhere!

BUT!! We are warm, we are dry, we have hot meals, and running water. We have cars that work, and clear roads to drive them on, so I am not complaining!

Thinking of you all, and saying a prayer that you stay safe, and warm!

I might be hauling a generator up to NH for my parents (we have a different warehouse and distributer down here that aren't affected by the shortages) and I'd be willing to buy and haul more. Does anyone up there need one?

We finally got our power back on at 7 am this morning. I know it was a bad storm and you must have stopped off in Epping Mark because it was the only place that was open. The gas lines were horrendous but what amazed me was we drove ALL over the place during the first 24 hours of the storm and never saw ONE power company truck. Don't get me wrong I know they work hard but I am not the only one who noticed this. I went by the powergrid yesterday afternoon in andover and they had about 20 trucks lined up and running [not moving] and they were the first power trucks we saw. I am so glad our power is back on again. Linda

Has anyone heard from Bozley and Fancy? I tried calling yesterday but the call wouldn't go through. We now have water again too! Yay! The pump guy came this morning. Joyce I hope you get power back soon. Love you guys. Linda

Linda, I've been thinking of you through this whole storm, I'm so glad you are all ok! When we went to put our generator on, it goes on, but won't produce any power. By the time we were trying to find one, they were LONG gone. Hubby was at the Home Depot this morning and there were a bunch of trucks from Maryland being dispatched out. Hubby was just reading on the internet as we are in his office, that it will take about a week for all power to be restored.

Linda, I have not heard from them. I'm sure they have no power either.

I SWEAR, I will NEVER complain about how much the electric bill is ever again!

Linda glad to hear you are finally back with power. Yes I guess it was Epping that had the power and huge gas lines. In traveling to Nashua and back I only saw a couple trucks on road that were either power company or tree service. Same story around here. Yesterday afternoon and today are the first times I have seen any of the trucks around. I have no idea where they are but there are still a huge number of people with out power and most are saying the same thing that they haven't seen a power co truck since they lost power.

Guessing Fancy and Bozley are still with out power as that area was also hit very hard. If they have Time Warner for phone that will be out till the power is back on or even much later.

Mark

The power at my house came back on this afternoon. It is still not on at Mary's house,where the barn is, 3 miles down the road from me. That means no heaters for the tanks and no lights in the barn. She is able to run a generator so we can get water from the well.

During the middle of the storm she looked out of her window to see a strange dog looking in at her. It took over 48 hours to find her owners.

I have never seen such so much damage. We are lucky compared to most. Some areas I have driven through are even worse then we are. I have three pine trees down in the back yard and a large maple down in the front yard. That is all in my little half acre.

At the barn there are fences down. Trees down all over, some are blocking the gates. It is going to take a lot of work to clean up this mess.

We are in Hillsboro NH and still without power, we are operating on a generator, for water heat internet, and TV. Our horse fence is up but barely it has 6 trees down around it and we were unable to get anybody with a chainsaw til later in the week, the mini's are in and the big horses are being very respeectful of the downed trees on there fence , we fixed it as best we could til the trees are off of it. IT is so amazing that the ice is still on all the trees here and there has been no melting at all,, maybe tomorrow when it gets a little warmer..... Thank god we have had that generator for years and it has never had this much use. We have been without power sense, Thursday at 12:30 am we lost our power, the PSNH trucks just went up the road a few minutes ago with a flood light onto the trees accessing the damage we have alot of damage up the street, so it still could be off for a another day of two. I am glad to hear that some are back on already.

This is going to be a long winter... if it is starting off like this! Try to keep warm friends help is on the way. <>< Kathy

We finally got power back Saturday evening, after losing power early Friday AM. Not an easy task cleaning stalls in the dark
default_wink.png

We have a generator for the house, which made it much easier to deal. We are on well water, and because of the generator, we were able to easily water the horses and have water for ourselves. It would have been much more miserable without it. There were alot of lines down around here, along with tree's. Several of our neighbors tree's ended up in our yard
default_wacko.png

I know of a large amount of people who have horses stuck inside with no turnout until who knows when because the ice is so bad. So, although it was a pain in the butt with no power, I am not going to complain. We got our power back after about 36 hours, our turnouts are not that bad and I can still safely turn horses out, and our cleanup around the yard with tree's down is minimal compared to most. What a pain though!! I hope the rest of the winter isnt like this! I'd much rather have snow then this ice!

~Jen~

Here in Swanzey NH I just had power flicker but all around us is not good. They have already closed school for Monday.

I have talked to Fancy...they are in a motel. They are bucketing water from the hotel for the animals.

Latest posts

Back