Anybody a Vegan?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullmoon

Reaction score
I've started a new phase and am trying the vegan way of life. Is there anyone here one and do you have any pointers? Also any recipes would be very welcome. Thanks!!

I have been thinking about giving up red meat because of some health issues but I think I would still have fish in my diet. Haven't looked for receipes yet but I bet I will find a lot of them if I do a Yahoo search. I will let you know if I find some real good ideas. Mary

Try vegweb.com . There are tons of great recipes on there.
default_smile.png

Thanks! I was looking at that one today. There's alot of good ones on there.

How strict are you thinking of being???

I noticed that the website suggested above uses eggs, milk, and even some fish in recipes.

Stir Fry is a great way to go -- even if it's just with vegies. Served with either rice or Chinese noodles. For a quick meal, buy a frozen package of "stir fry vegies" and heat them up fast on a non-stick skillet with a stir fry sauce. Some already come with either noodles or rice included!

Here's a my Stir Fry Sauce --

1/2 cup Chicken or Vegetable Broth

1/4 cup Sherry or semi-sweet wine

1/4 cup Soy Sauce

1 clove Garlic ( 1/8 tsp powdered garlic)

1/8 tsp Ginger

1 to 2 Tablespoons Sugar

( I double the recipe for a saucier stir fry or for serving more than 2 to 3 people.)

If you are okay about using eggs and/or dairy products -- how about a Vegie Quiche???

Serve it with either a fruit salad or apple sauce.

1 refridgerated pie crust, pressed into a pie pan and edge crimped.

Mix in a bowl:

1+ cups chopped cooked chicken/shrimp/crab (if you want to use a meat, okay without.)

1+ cups shredded cheese of your choice

1 cup chopped vegie or vegies of your choice

1/4 cup finely chopped onion (optional - but good.)

4 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper (I prefer lemon pepper)

1/2 tsp dry mustard OR 1/4 cup regular liquid mustard -- whatever you have on hand.

After mixing the above, pour into the pie crust.

Bake at 375 degrees F. for 35 to 45 minutes or until egg mixture is a golden brown and firm to the touch. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

(Guess you can tell I like to cook.
default_rolleyes.gif
: )

MA

I'm not a vegan, but I see the benefits of eating less meat esp. red meat, but I LOVE a good steak once ina while...

I LOVE Indian food, which is mainly vegan anyway.

A Thai recipe I adapted from one of our favorite restaurants:

Get some firm tofu and cut it in 1"X2" chunks (make them about 1/4" thick or thereabouts), then heat up some vegetable oil and fry the tofu til it is brown on both sides (I think you can deep fry it, too, but I usually just do it in a flat skillet). Take it out and lay it out to drain on paper towels.

Next clean out your pan then add some peanut butter (about a quarter cup), and coconut milk (usually about 2/3 can depending on how many you are feeding), some Hoisin sauce or plum sauce to sweeten/taste (I usually end up w/about 2 tbsp).

Add about 2 tbsp. honey (more or less if you like less sweet) and/or palm sugar.

Sometimes I grate a tiny bit of ginger in this.

Warm it and mix it til it is smooth, then add your tofu back into the pan and heat it.

What I add to it for veggies is fresh, cleaned spinach leaves and toss them until they wilt, or lightly steamed broccoli, or both!

My kids eat it up over rice. Good way to get them to eat vegetables. Occasionally I add some of the sweet chili sauce to this to spice it up, and you can change it around to taste. It's also good as a dipping sauce or flavoring for rice.

I know not everyone likes tofu, but my family loves it....pad thai is another really good dish that can be made meatless.

I'd recommend looking at the asian food sites as many of their recipes are very flavorful and easy to make also not necessary to have meat in most of them, or omit it easily!

Good luck!

(Oh and those garden burgers are yummy...)

Liz M.

:aktion033: Not Vegan myself but several in my group are. My favorite is a base dish that cn be used several ways, as a Pasta sauce or over rice. 1 cup each; sliced yellow squash, sliced red, green, and yellow peppers, sliced emall eggplant, onion, carrots,and celery. 3 cups tomato sauce, Half cup fresh basil and thyme. 1 Tbsp mixed Italian spices[dryed] and 3 cloves garlic minced. mix all in a goodstock pot and simmer until veggies are tender crisp [not mush] The most important thing to remember is that you need more spices for flavor you aren't getting from meat. Italian dressing is your new best friend,because most vegatables are good cooked in a bottle of Italian dressing and served with a filler like rice.

Hubby is a vegetarian and here is one of his favorites:

Indian tacos.

bread: 1 cup self rising flour

1/2 cup buttermilk

Deep fry at 375 (oil must be at least 1 inch deep or it won't get done) until golden brown, turn over when you can see the edges turning brown. Drain well on paper towels

Top with pinto beans, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, cheese if desired.

This is very fast to make if you already have the beans cooked.

Caution: VERY filling, a small one is plenty and the bread will rise tremendously so pat it out thin before frying.

Oh thank you all so much! I read the recipes on veg.com and other places but it's always nice to actually get first hand knowledge of something. I've only just begun (since last Wednesday) so I have so much to learn. So far I haven't had any problems or cravings, so I guess I'm wanting to get a good base of recipes in case I get the urge for something else. Thanks again!!

Hmm I will have to look around, I was a vegan from the age of 5 to 8 always had to pack lunches then I was just vegiterian until 11!

Latest posts

Back