Any ideas?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliasmel

Reaction score
I took my horse to a show last weekend. He was a complete nightmare to the point were I was not going to bother to go in for champion because he was playing up holy heck.

He wouldn't stand still, he kept side passing,backing up and walking in circles around me. When I tried to do our workout in his class he decided he wouldn't trot despite knowing how to do it for years
default_frusty.gif
. He also decided he forgot how to walk and kept stopping. Then he spent the rest of the time on two hind legs
default_ohnoes.jpg
and refused to stand up for the judge.

This is out of character for this horse. At the show before that one he stood like a champ, parked himself and stood until he was told to move and behaved wonderfully. Nothing has changed at all, still gets the same feed, exercise etc.

Just wondering if there is any tricks I can use at home to get him to focus at shows. At home he is an Angel and wont put a hoof out of line
default_rolleyes.gif

I've had him since he was weaned and nothing drastic has changed in his life at all. He is a stallion but has served mares and still behaved at shows.

Obviously if he keeps it up he will lose his two danglies but want to try everything to fix his manners before and geld as a last resort.

And just cause I can... Some photos of him.

935275_10151357974086534_1570509089_n.jpg

1236058_10151556977276534_803014984_n.jpg

Maybe he was just having an off day or there was something in that environment that was making him nervous or something. I have had my experienced show riding horses just have complete horrible performances at shows despite 99% of the time they are perfect angels.

Sometimes they just don't feel like showing. Or something is bothering them. A mare in heat maybe? At a show last year, my girl was being bothered by a bee. There was nothing we could do once we were in the ring, especially about getting rid of the bee. We just chalked it up to one of those days...everybody has them.

What a handsome boy!! I agree with the others - maybe it was just an 'off day' for some reason that may never be known and never repeated!

Good luck for the future!

Maybe he needs mentholatum on his nose. (Vicks?)

I have a little guy who was a seasoned show horse when I got him but carried on like yours (only not so much) at the first 2 shows I took him to. I rang the previous owner for advice. She said LIQUORICE.

Obviously this won't help your problem but my little guy would do anything for liquorice, or the sight or smell of liquorice...just as long as he knew it was there. I guess he just had to train me right.

Good luck with your handsome nightmare.

Latest posts

Back