Any color experts still around? Gotta color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
We had a colt born this year that I can't figure out his color.

Sire is a buckskin and dam is a sorrel. Neither have been "color" tested so I'm not sure what genes they have. I will post photos of all 3 involved.

Colt is a grayish color but mane and tail are dark. I'm really hoping he isn't a silver black and is really a smokey black.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Sire

blaze10.jpg

Dam, foaled bay roan, grulla, sorrel, now this.....

feather03.jpg

Hot Rod

hotrod01.JPG

hotrod03.JPG

Do you have a full body, natural coat picture of him? Its very hard to tell color on a clipped coat.

At the moment, I say is color is too darn cute.

I would say dam looks more silver bay than sorrel, and I think the colt is buckskin, judging from the color of his legs and muzzle. Actually, on second thought, looking at the puff of foal coat at the base of his withers, I think he is smokey black, not buckskin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree the dam is a silver bay, not sorrel. And I also agree that he is smokey black or buckskin...leaning toward smokey black.

Not seeing the silver bay on the dam. She looks like a typical chestnut, just has a lighter mane and grayish tail-same as most of mine. Do you have a picture of the colt pre-shave? With those really creamy legs, I want to say a smutty buckskin. It is very common for them to be born a really nice creamy buckskin color and then clip out a dark almost chocolate color. If he was smokey black he would not have born such a light creamy color. But, could just be the lighting or my phone
default_smile.png

Dam does not look Silver Bay to me, either. I think the foal is Brown based- ie Brownskin.

I'm not seeing the dam as silver bay either. What color is the foal underneath his tail right on either side of his butt cheeks? The color there can give you a good indication of a young horse's true color. I'm thinking either bay or possibly buckskin in the case
default_smile.png

I was thinking bay too. Too me the dam looked like a sorrel but when others said silver bay I had to take a double take and I can see why she may be a silver bay, she would be one I would color test for sure. Pics are hard to see the color on him but I'm going to have to say bay.

I think I'm voting for buckskin on the colt at this point. Don't think he's silver at all. Difficult to tell about the dam. She seems to have some bit of smutty about her. If she were silver bay, I'd expect to see her mane and tail more silvery/greyish, rather than the cream colour they look to be.

Lizzie

I'm not good at the dilutes but wanted to say that with those high white socks, he's going to be a flashy little thing.
default_yes.gif

Sandee, those are not high whites, that is the creamy (looks buckskin) color of his legs.

I think dam is chestnut with flaxen and the foal is brownskin too , ( I had one last year)

I say the dam is sorrel and the colt looks to be a dark sorrel or brown also.

OK found a photo of him pre clip. It isn't great, it was on my phone. Hopefully it will help though. I checked around his tail and the hair is golden and the rest of him is getting a bit of a gold sheen......really hoping for smutty buckskin! This colt is impossible to get photos of. He stands right next to my feet no matter what I try. I do appreciate your help on this!

What causes the "smutty" in the smutty buckskin?

Oh yeah.....he doesn't have high whites, I just didn't clip his legs to help with flies. That's all baby fuzz.

hotrod05.JPG

Here is another shot of mamma...

feather07.jpg

I'm no expert but my guess would be a smutty buckskin. I love the first picture you posted of him, looks like he's wearing fuzzy knee-high boots
default_yes.gif

I would say, based upon his unshaved legs, that he is a buckskin. There are many flaxen chestnuts out there that have black hair in their tails and there is no way they could be anything but chestnut, I have a couple of them here. So, i would say the dam is a flaxen chestnut.

You know, I think those of you saying dam is a chestnut not silver bay are right. I keep looking at her color and see silver bay, other than the dark points. I would bet anything she is one of those that we discussed quite awhile back, that are sorrel that carry agouti. It would sure be interesting to know for sure.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back