Another What to Wear Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying minis

Reaction score
so I'm just starting with the minis. Is a Western "rail" shirt appropriate for halter and halter obstacle and showmanship? I know it's probably fine for jumping and hunter? I've got a nice one that has the removable collar and cuffs, so I could wear it with a stand up collar for everything except showmanship, and figured it might be better with the collar and cuffs for that.

Otherwise, what is appropraite for showmanship? Does everyone wear the jackets? Going to a mini show in May, went only once before and only showed jumper and hunter, so this is kind of new. I show my Saddlebred saddleseat (no help there for clothes) and only limited western (which is why I have the rail shirt). I drive in a nice dress shirt, and use that for both the saddlebred and the mini, so have that covered (but may need to find a new shirt for that too LOL). At least all 3 of them are in the same color family (or can be, they at least all can do jewel tones, according to the Hobby Horse color wheel - they are pintos - silver dapple, grullo, and chestnut).

For me I show in a Western Shirt( I guess you could call it a rail shirt) with a belt and black pants. I wear paddock boots, a western hat, and black gloves. Make sure your hair is completely pulled out of your face. That is appropriate for showmanship. For halter I wear a blazer, black pants, a belt, and my paddock boots with my hair pulled back.

For me I show in a Western Shirt( I guess you could call it a rail shirt) with a belt and black pants. I wear paddock boots, a western hat, and black gloves. Make sure your hair is completely pulled out of your face. That is appropriate for showmanship. For halter I wear a blazer, black pants, a belt, and my paddock boots with my hair pulled back.

Thanks! I'm looking for a nice blazer, but at least I could wear the rail shirt if I had to in halter - good to know though that it is appropriate for showmanship! Have 2 upcoming horse fairs, so maybe there's a blazer out there with my name on it (and hopefully not with too high a price on it!) LOL

I am not sure what you mean by a "rail" shirt?? My first advice is to read the rule book for whatever show(s) you are entering - especially for gloves and hats!!! I tend to wear jackets/blazers in halter so I have pockets to stash my "bait". I might wear a jacket in showmanship too, as long as all the bait is removed!! Actually, your saddle seat suit might be appropriate in showmanship - it would be in Pinto English Showmanship I think. But you also want to fit in, and likely in a general "showmanship" class, most people will wear western clothing. Check catalogs like Hobby Horse to see what the fashion is for big horses and that will likely work for minis. But LOTS of people buy their show clothes - jackets & blazers especially - at thrift stores like Goodwill.

For performance classes (obstacle, hunter, jumper) I will shed the jacket (since it is usually beastly hot) and wear a long sleeve western shirt of some type.

As an older exhibitor who values comfort, I have started a trend at our Pinto shows by wearing COMFORTABLE Ariat boots, in basic black to go with my black pants.

A rail shirt is super versatile, and if you only have one outfit, I would recommend that this would be it. I think I've worn them in every class, even driving at times. Rail shirts are perfect for obstacle, hunter and jumper and depending on what it looks like it should work for Showmanship as well with the cuffs. It will be just fine for halter as well, especially at a local level. At Worlds/Nationals, you will see more jackets/blazers in the halter ring than rail shirts, but you could probably get away with it there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was showing arabs in showmanship, this was before the minis, I couldn't afford an expensive show jacket. So I went to Goodwill and bought a mens suit jacket, then went to the fabric store and bought some sparkly applications that glue on. It looked great. Just an idea for you to kick around. Also in showmanship if you don't want to wear a jacket you could wear a vest with a belt, and don't forget the gloves & hat they are a must.

The rules ( for AMHR) read: "clothes and person neat and clean. Suitable clothes: hats, boots, long sleeve shirts and gloves are required."

To "fit in" with everyone else it will depend on where you are showing. By that I mean, AMHR you would more likely find jackets while at a pinto show you would see more western styles like the rail shirt.

For those that don't know what "rail shirts" are, in this picture my daughter and I are both wearing "rail shirts". We wear them for almost every performance class as they are stretchy and comfortable as well as holding their shape to look neat.

phoca_thumb_l_2010_amhr_nationals_mandy_800px.jpg

Thanks everyone - Goodwill is a great idea - I get my harness bags (hanging suitcase bags) there, didn't think of dressing up a suit coat!

Think for at least the first shows I'll do the rail shirt, save the $ for other more necessary things! Maybe look for a blazer and "blink it out" as suggested. I plan to show AMHR, but sometimes show pinto, so the rail shirt is nice and versatile that way!

Not to steal your post, but I was wondering, if you have a rail jacket for showmanship, and a jacket for halter, but your classes are back to back and you dont have time to change, would it be better to wear the rail shirt for both, or the jacket for both? I have recently got a gorgeous navy blue rail jacket with cuffs to use for performance, and a few shows I go to I will show back to back with barely enough time to change halters.

I bought my blazer at marshals, It's much cheaper than buying it from a horse place. In showmanship you basically want to dress in either all western, all english, and depending on the show any other discipline. As long as it is all from the same discipline.

Not to steal your post, but I was wondering, if you have a rail jacket for showmanship, and a jacket for halter, but your classes are back to back and you dont have time to change, would it be better to wear the rail shirt for both, or the jacket for both? I have recently got a gorgeous navy blue rail jacket with cuffs to use for performance, and a few shows I go to I will show back to back with barely enough time to change halters.
Again if you're showing AMHR I'd go for the showmanship jacket for both. If it's Pinto the rail shirt would probably be fine for both. IMO the rail shirt is more casual and most everyone I've seen in AMHR uses jackets for showmanship.

Latest posts

Back