What are people wearing in the show ring?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
We have one show close to us and I would like to show my weanling in halter. So I will need something to wear. I tried to find videos of recent classes but there wasn't much out there. What I did see was a lot of women wearing just some sort of jacket, not the show jackets that I am used to. So what should I look for? A plain blazer? A western style shirt? Slinky and vest? Lots of bling on a show jacket? Any advice is appreciated, I don't want to spend a ton and end up sticking out like a sore thumb.

I hope someone that does shows chimes in soon. I was at someone's house recently and in her craft/work room. She had a horse show jacket that she was crusting the white part of the design in aurora crystals. I can just imagine how it will sparkle in spot lights.

At local shows most people do not wear anything real fancy or covered in bling. I do not have any photos on my phone but will see if I can hunt up a few.

My outfits above are fairly typical of what we see at the local shows. Some people have jackets with some embroidery, some have some bead work or sequins, but you wouldn't be likely to see a jacket that was covered in sequins. One of my tank tops is all sequins on the front--but only a bit of that shows once I put my jacket on--and it is not the tank top i prefer.

So just pants and like a plain blazer? I am only going to the one show this year, but it sounds like a bigger show, I think it's 3 days with 3 judges. I'm glad I asked because I expected something closer to what they wear in AQHA.

Yep, a plain jacket/blazer and pants/colored jeans should be good. As a rule the mini exhibitors do not keep up with AQHA when it comes to show ring attire. My favorite show jacket came from Reitmans, $15 on sale. Many people have told me they bought their show jackets at the thrift store. In actual fact the grey jacket I am wearing in the one photo above came from the thrift store for all of $3 or $4--it served the purpose very well.

Actually, if you Google Casey .McBride Photography, then choose Proofs and 2018 AMHR Nationals, then choose one of the morning show links you will get a page of proofs that show the open halter classes. You will see that most of the ladies dress the same for Nationals as what you will see at local and area shows--usually dark pants and a simple jacket.

For halter (not showmanship) I usually wear a blazer and a pair of black pants or khakis, depending on the color of the blazer. For shirts I usually go with white or red as those colors match my guys nicely. If I am showing the horse western I add a western hat and some southwestern earrings (small, no dangles). And don't forget gloves, they are not necessary but they tie everything together nicely.
Good luck!

Thank you so much, that was perfect! It looks like I can go as plain as I want, but I did see some sparkly things also. At least one part of this will be inexpensive. Are some of them wearing sneakers though?

Thank you so much, that was perfect! It looks like I can go as plain as I want, but I did see some sparkly things also. At least one part of this will be inexpensive. Are some of them wearing sneakers though?
Yes, sneakers allowed. I usually start out with my show shoes (black dress shoes that look a little better than runners) but often end up showing in my runners.

Latest posts

Back