Open shows in my area?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLJcowgirl

Reaction score
Hello all!

I don't really like giving out my location... but internet searches and word of mouth aren't getting me very far. And you all seem pretty trust worthy haha. There is a paint horse club that would hold open miniature horse classes in between their classes and gave year end prizes. These were the only mini shows I knew of and my goal was to make it to at least one this year. Well, they are not doing it this year... Bummer. I only know one family who shows minis, and these were the only shows they went to and know of as well. I'm stuck.

Miss May isn't registered, so I'm limited to open shows. I don't mind taking her with my QH and showing her with the biggies, but I feel a bit silly in a halter class. And I don't like the idea of always choosing between taking her in a showmanship class or my QH, but I'll do it
default_smile.png
I have the riding classes for him. I've also been practicing for in hand trail and was looking forward to it, but that paint club was the only place I've seen it offered.

Anyways... Anybody know of any open mini shows in Northern Utah/Southern Idaho? If not, it's ok, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be shy about taking your mini to an open show with biggies.......Judges LOVE seeing them! At least that was our experience here a number of years ago.

I'd recommend finding out if any county fairs in your area has open shows.

So far I've been able to take her to two shows (last year) and did have to show her with the big guys haha It is quite fun. The first show I took her to the judge kept raving about her. I didn't place very well in halter next to all the great QH mares but the judge went out of her way to tell me how darling Miss May was.

The second show... I felt a bit out of place. Got a very stern judge who I don't think I've ever seen smile haha

Thank you for the encouragement! I will be checking the other counties around me.

Are there local horseman's groups listed at any of the Tractor Supplies or other feed stores in your area?

4H or Ag centers in your county AND in all the other counties around you. The state Vet School (if you have one?).

Who do you buy your hay from? Your farrier, your vet. Surely you aren't the only person with a mini horse in your area. ASK them what groups hold shows, contact those groups and see who has classes for minis/ponies and if they don't see if they know of anyone that does.

Post an ad on Craig's List - ISO (in search of) Horseman's groups and Horse shows with Mini/pony classes.

Search on FB for your area - local groups that might now of open horse shows with any pony or mini classes. It's also a great way to find/make friends that may have minis themselves and can then "grow" a group of mini owners willing to "lobby" for mini/pony classes at "biggie" shows.

Oh I know I'm not the only one with a mini
default_smile.png
It's just that most I know of are pasture puffs or kids lead line horses. I do know a family who used to do chariot races with theirs, but I don't think that's for me. LOL

My farrier only knew about that paint club shows for minis... so no luck there. My vet does't really know much about shows in general, so I'm not sure I'll get much there, but I'll try. And I get hay from my dad who is very glad he doesn't have to worry about horse shows anymore....
default_risa_suelos.gif

I did find a couple clubs, not local, but state clubs. I only found registered shows on their websites, but I do plan on messaging them. I'm sure they know of something.

I also learned that my Mother-in-law's boss's ex sister-in-law (fewh that's a mouth full) breeds minis. I'll see if she knows anything as well.

Thank you so much Paintpony! You've given me LOTS to think about. Hadn't thought of CL, maybe I'll try other classifieds as well. I also think I'll try contacting the University's Ag department, see what they have there.

Don't worry about the stern judge. It's just one person's opinion. I had a judge like that last year. He didn't like me because my hair curled, lol. It was put back neatly but it is short and curls at the nape. Can't do much about that except shave my head. But the judge really was bugged by it and commented on it. He never smiled either!

Paula had a great idea about asking the shows to include mini classes. Sometimes shows are happy to accommodate requests like that. It might not happen until the next show season, but that always is here before you know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry about the stern judge. It's just one person's opinion. I had a judge like that last year. He didn't like me because my hair curled, lol. It was put back neatly but it is short and curls at the nape. Can't do much about that except shave my head. But the judge really was bugged by it and commented on it. He never smiled either!

Paula had a great idea about asking the shows to include mini classes. Sometimes shows are happy to accommodate requests like that. It might not happen until the next show season, but that always is here before you know it.
AMEN!!!

I'll never forget some of my introductions to "local" shows that have classes for small (most folk around here consider a pony to be about 14 hh) equine and youth... when we brought the ponies to NC with us (I arrived with a stallion - 45" @ at the withers, 1 mare approx 37" @ the withers & their daughter about 34" at the withers when we arrived in April 1997).

For the first 3 years that we were in NC with the ponies, I wanted almost daily to go "home" to Colorado or Montana. One of my stories on showing the ponies locally (and it was UGLY) is here. This is a year after we arrived and I'd had people asking/telling me I needed to take the ponies and the girls' out to shows. This is the very first show we went to - History: Horse Show Manners

It is amazing that we ever went to any more. Taking the girls and ponies to shows was an uphill battle - and the girls quickly outgrew the smaller ponies - so they then went on to show the youngsters that our shetland stallion sired out of a variety of larger mares - I hauled "babies" to shows with no more than 15 rides under saddle and the ponies/kids did GREAT - because of the foundation I gave both the ponies and the girls. We finally found one show series that had classes like we liked (in hand trail classes and natural obstacle trail classes) - only to have the shows come to a screeching halt before we actually hauled out to one. We found a series of local shows that worked for us and we went. It's interesting to note that the girls have very different memories of some of them than what I do (adult perspective vs child's) and I'm so very glad for the handful of pics I did get (LONG BEFORE digital cameras and/or we could afford pro shots).

The one show I was asked to support - I was prepared for and was supposed to haul 6 ponies to. Only to have a 2 month old colt "start" eating sand and as we took him to the vet that morning before the show, his abdomen ruptured... Needless to say, we didn't make it to that one - though the show manager called me later and let me know how disappointed she was. Later, I never committed to another show with that group and it was just as well - every time we prepped for one of those - we had something go majorly wrong, though never as bad as losing that colt! That show series has grown a lot - now is often a 2 day show - and has adopted a lot of Hunter/Jumper rules. They hold some shows now exclusively for H/J - though they weren't that big when we first went to some of their shows. Very nice awards program and they do still have pony classes and some mini classes, too.

Latest posts

Back