Another color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
Trying to get paper work done but just not sure what color to list for this guy...what do you think?

Sire is non-fading black pinto.

Dam:

Elata3.jpg

And here is the colt

Elata colt crop 5.jpg

2011 foals,celeste and dun 099.jpg

I would have said black (smoky maybe) in the first pic, the second looks silver or a dun variation. What are the parents registered colors/names?

If you do NOT know the color, you can always opt to have the registry decide (AMHA), assuming you are willing to live with their color choice.

We have a filly here that has an unusual color - sire (looks palomino) carries silver x bay roan mare:

Surprise (Wesco Farms While U Were Sleeping FF)

Wesco Farms While U Were Sleeping FF 08.jpg

The colts sire is black pinto, no doubt there. Dam is visually a grulla pinto...Dam's sire is Dandy's Grand Finale and out of a bay cross country call me sir daughter.

Looked grulla when born but is so light now.

No sign of silver in either parent

Last edited by a moderator:
I say black or smokey black-i see no signs of being grullo. The first picture shows a typical black foal. They are born the muddled/greyish color as a defense mechanism as they would need to hide from predators in the wild. The second he looks sunbleached. Dam does not look grulla either. She looks black or smokey black.

Michelle-your filly is definitely silver buckskin. One of my favorite colors!

I would have said black (smoky maybe) in the first pic, the second looks silver or a dun variation. What are the parents registered colors/names?

If you do NOT know the color, you can always opt to have the registry decide (AMHA), assuming you are willing to live with their color choice.

We have a filly here that has an unusual color - sire (looks palomino) carries silver x bay roan mare:

Surprise (Wesco Farms While U Were Sleeping FF)

View attachment 2460

Silver buckskin in my opinion

Latest posts

Back