Animals that can be seen at watering hole!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minisaremighty

Reaction score
WOW!!! Check out these links!!

mammals seen at the watering hole

birds at the watering hole

These are lists, complete with photos and descriptions, of animals that have been seen at the watering hole! If I wasn't totally hooked before, I am now!

I've seen baboons, zebras, a male elephant, a male lion, impalas, steenboks, wildebeasts, giraffes, and buffalo. I thought that was a lot, but looking at that list, there are so many more critters to see!

We are going to keep watching until we see all those mammals.
default_yes.gif
:

If you've not checked out the watering hole video cam yet, here's the link:

Africam Watering Hole Video Link

It is dark on the Africam from about 9 a.m. pacific until around 7:30-8 p.m. pacific. There is a lot of activity right before sunset and the few hours after sunrise.

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Now that I've learned to take "photos" of the animals, I'm going on a safari and going to record all my sightings! :bgrin

If you are interested in taking photos check this link out:

taking pictures of the wildlife in africa

When you start using it, you might get black images, to get rid of this, go to Tools (can be found by right clicking on the top of the media player) in your windows media player click, Options, Performance, Advanced and un-tick use overlays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of all the animals I mentioned seeing, the baboon is the only one I didn't see close up. The others I've gotten lots of up close looks. It was those up close views that got us REALLY hooked. We'd only been moderately hooked for a couple days and then we finally started seeing animals.

For the most part, I've found the animals don't hang around the area much more than 5-10 minutes. Most being around 5 minutes, some only 1-2 minutes.

I've seen LOTS of these animals up close and personal. I LOVE watching this watering hole but it just really isn't the same as being there. We had baboons come right up to the Backi (the truck). We had elephants get a little TOO close to the truck more times than I'd like to remember :new_shocked:
default_yes.gif
:

I did see elephants, giraffe, and a BEAUTIFUL black mane lion was hanging out there yesterday evening.

Would have LOVED to have caught a still shot of that male lion yesterday. It was gorgeous!

MA

Would have LOVED to have caught a still shot of that male lion yesterday. It was gorgeous!

MA
Wasn't he?? That's excactly what I told John this morning after I figured out how to get those snapshots.

We have tentative plans to go to the Oregon Zoo for Jenna's birthday in June (she'll be 11) and she told us to forget the zoo, she wants to go to Africa for her birthday! :bgrin

she wants to go to Africa for her birthday

I can arrange that!
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033: :aktion033: it really is more affordable than you think. Especially if you are not hunting!

Just out of curiosity, what is a rough figure? We live smack in the middle of Oregon, seem sooooo far away! And we would only be shooting with a camera! My husband is an avid gun enthusiast/collector, however, he doesn't hunt :bgrin

My daughters school is planning a trip to Mexico or Guatemala for March for the 7th and 8th graders. We've opted not to let her go. I would feel much safer with her going someplace like Africa! However, this is my middle daughter who has become fascinated with the wildlife in Africa, not the one who could have gone to Central America.

The airfare is the most expensive part of it. When we went in 2002 it was just under $4000 for both of us to fly roundtrip. OK, now that you've picked yourself up off the floor (sorry), go to this website and check out their prices. JB Hunting and Video Safaris. If you really wanted to go and booked through my husband, he might be able to get you a better deal.

The last couple of years business was slow so they had a bargain going, 10 days, 2 animals for $1500. That's a good price for hunting. When we were there in 2002, we harvested 10 animals, spent 21 days in country and 3 of those days were at Kruger National Park. That's about the size of Conneticutt and we only saw 1/2 of it. All the animals are wild and there is no hunting so they don't run away from all the cars. It's amazing what you will see there. We spent $16,000 + the airfare.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back