Things to do during Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdmini

Reaction score
Ok I would LOVE to do this but don't think it's going to work out but I checked the calendar of events going on during the Nationals time frame and found this.

Keeping Up With Keepers At The Tulsa Zoo [+]

Date : August 15 - 16, 2009

Time : 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Web : www.tulsazoo.org

Give your wild-ones an inside look into a world not seen by many people. Keeping Up With Keepers, sponsored by the Tulsa Chapter of the American Association of Zookeepers (AAZK) is an ed-zoocational program that is offered annually and all proceeds go directly to various wildlife and conservation organizations. Keeping Up With Keepers is a special behind-the-scenes educational opportunity for the public, they can see and do exactly what our zookeepers do at work everyday. This is an exciting and fun opportunity for those who are interested in learning first-hand about the importance of species conservation and the animal husbandry that takes place daily at the Tulsa Zoo and Living Museum. To take part in this rare experience please visit www.tulsaaazk.org or call (918) 669-6202 for more information.

Address: 6421 E. 36th St. N. Tulsa, OK 74115

Days/Hours: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Ohhh I so want to go!! They say to allow for a month for processing so it's a "do now" situation. Here are a listing of the animals you get to pick from:

Small Mammals (foxes, peccary, deer, cacomistle, etc); Aquariums (variety of fish); Birds I (flamingo, macaws, owls, song birds, ostrich, storks, etc.); Birds II (penguins); Primates I (chimps); Primates II (lemurs, monkeys, lesser apes); Large Mammals I (elephant, rhino, sea lion) ; Large Mammals II (giraffe, zebra, buffalo, kudu); Large Mammals III (cats & bears); Herps (snakes, tortoises, lizards, frogs, etc; Children’s Zoo (otter, llama, kangaroo, prairie dogs, etc.); Tropical Rain Forest (primates, birds, herps, fish)

I think it would kill me to have to choose to which department I would want to shadow for the day.
default_rolleyes.gif
If anyone does go, a detailed report with lots of photos are required.
default_laugh.png
(I think it's actually for kids but I STILL want to go!)

Here is where I found the events calendar. http://www.visittulsa.com/events.asp?id=11...9&selday=15

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, sounds like a great experience. Did you happen to see a price? How far from the show is it?

Don't know if we would have time to check it out, but sounds wonderful.

I just noticed the dates though are in August. Was there another one during the nationals?

Sounds neat, but never seems to be time to do anything outside of horse show once we are there. If you go take lots of pictures for us! Lots of neat things to do in Ft Worth during World, too if you have time. I made myself go to the Cowgirl Museum & Hall of Fame a couple of years ago - right across the parking lot and well worth the time spent.

Jan

We always take part of a day to get away from the show and take our young son someplace "educational". It's always

good for all of us to have a change of scenery, even if just for a short time.

The zoo is wonderful. We only saw part of it in the time we could be away and would like to go back.

It's not far away, either.

Other things we have done:

The Tulsa Air and Space Museum was worthwhile and is very close to the zoo. We all enjoyed it.

A little further drive down to Jenks will take you to the Oklahoma Aquarium. This is also very nice. They have a very

nice acrylic shark exhibit, where the sharks swim over and around you. We have been there twice and try to be there

at 1:30 on Thursday so we can see them feed the sharks. They do this twice per week. It takes a little over 30 minutes

to get down to Jenks, but you can do the Aquarium in about 2 hours. We've gone there twice.

Shelley

I seen there was an Aquarium last year but didn't make it, really want to get there this year. The zoo does this every month and cost was $35 plus you have to have a neg TB test. The website said it could be done by your county health nurse and cost is $5 or so. See I did read most of the article...except for small details like the date.
default_rolleyes.gif

You could always take a little trip further down the turnpike to OKC and come and visit some of the miniature horse farms in the area.
default_smile.png
Redrock, Reflections and T/C Mini Family Farms are just off of I 44 and within 10 minutes of each other. In fact, T/C is just across the street from Redrock!
default_biggrin.png

And if you happen to come to OKC, be sure to visit the National Cowboy Museum and Western Heritage Center. It's awesome and only a few minutes from our farms!
default_saludando.gif

I'll second the recommendation for the National Cowboy Museum in OKC. It's a wonderful place if you have the chance to go. We used to go to QH World every year in OKC and always took a day out to go to the races at Remington Park, as well as a trip or so to the Museum. If we ever get back there we'll have to do the farm tour as well!
default_smile.png

Jan

OMG that zoo thing sounds so neat I would love to do that

Back