AMHR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrminis

Reaction score
I am just curious as to why there are no AMHR shows in Kansas? I know there AMHA has several in the state and was just curious if there was any reason that AMHR doesn't?

Thanks!

Good question - I think the closest is NE, then IA. They are in Area VI and I just don't think anyone has stepped up to the plate to organize a show. (Takes a lot to do a show)

There are no shows that I know of in Northern Nevada either.
default_no.gif

Thanks... I just wondered if anyone knew why... Would be nice if there were shows here -- I am sure alot of breeders or mini owners in the state would love to show or at least GO to an AMHR show if there were one in the state...

Thanks... I just wondered if anyone knew why... Would be nice if there were shows here -- I am sure alot of breeders or mini owners in the state would love to show or at least GO to an AMHR show if there were one in the state...
Biggest reason is $$ and enthusiasm. You need someone to organize and run and probably finance shows. Usually that's a local club. My sis is in Kansas and while you have no AMHR, we in Wisconsin have NO AMHA! So there ya go. Skip over to Mo. where they have both.

Sounds like a great hobby for you - find a club or build one and then put a show on! (Just make sure you add pony classes!!! I'll be there with my kids!)

Sounds like a great hobby for you - find a club or build one and then put a show on! (Just make sure you add pony classes!!! I'll be there with my kids!)
Haha -- well I know NOTHING about showing let alone putting one on so I am thinking you don't want me to be in charge. I am a member of KMHC and they have fun shows but nothing pertaining to either registry and then their is Heartland Club but they only do AMHA shows... But I will have to do some asking around and see if someone that knows more about showing couldnt be convinced to put one on....

I didn't know anything about putting shows on either. But I made it through three seasons. The show had over 210 horses and ponies the last year I put it on. That's a pretty good size for a local show.

It takes either an individual, group or club with money to put on a sanctioned show. Many thousands up front. The facility, show manager, staff, judges, ribbons and awards - all have to be paid for up front or by the end of the show, so funds have to be available early on. It takes a lot of $$$ to put on a show! Good luck!

I have tons of experience in saving money at shows, so if you think about hosting a show or getting a club to, ask. There are several show managers that have tons of cost saving tips.

Hello Everyone-

I am an AMHA and AMHR show manager and would love to talk to anyone about what the costs are for having a show (Facility, judges, awards, AMHA & AMHR fees and show manager & staff). There a lot of things clubs can do to cut some costs. I would love to come out to the area as well - I am always willing to talk to anyone.

It is always a good thing to have shows in an area where there are not too many as long as you have the minis or ponies to come - it is harder when you have multiple groups fighting over the open weekends!!!!

Missy

default_rolleyes.gif

Over the past 18 months I've sent emails to Area VI Board Members asking about what I would need to do to get an AMHR sanctioned show going in Kansas, but never received any replies. Maybe I didn't ask the right people?????

I'm familiar with what it takes to put on a show, and have done some "big horse" shows so wouldn't be doing it "blind". I have priced 3 excellent facilities in the state, know a few people that would be willing to donate prizes and awards, can get a cracker-jack office team, I even found some big horse people that would love to help just to see what miniature horses can do. And I'm always open to cost-cutting and saving money when putting on a show!!!
default_smile.png

I'm guessing from the comments on this thread that there is some interest. I would love to get some Area VI people down here doing more than passing thru on the way to Tulsa! lol

To put on a sanctioned show you need to request a date ( the form is on the shetlandminiature.com site), here is a link:

AMHR Show Application Form

You will have to work around the shows close to you that are already established to find a weekend appropriate. Generally as long as a show is far enough away you won't pull their exhibitors - then you can reserve that weekend.

Next you need to find your own funds, arena, and show team.

The directors really don't have anything to do with setting up a show. You work with the registry office.

If you have more questions, you can PM me.

No $$$$$$$.. or at least not willing to give the money to sponsor shows. We dont have AMHR shows in Switzerland , Germany or Holland , but in the show in May in Holland Friday , the day before the AMHA show there is 1 class.
default_wacko.png
default_no.gif
This is really bad because the breed is rather new here. Breeders buy their horses from big breeders in the states ...sometimes ther mare -stallion is represented as a 32 or under inch horse and when it arrives its really 35 or more. Because there was so much money invested in the horse they breed the horse in hopes of getting a small foal and sell it to an unexpierenced buyer. What will happen in a few years time is that there will be a bunch of AMHR sized horses...I believe more than the AMHA so the AMHR will eventually have to start sponsoring the club here through ICAMH.. Just my opinion... and I know things can be a lot more complicated then just money. Its too bad . I would love an AMHR club here .

Yep I am with ya on that one... Its sad that we don't have any AMHR/ ASPC shows...I know of quite a few people who would like to show if we had them nearby. I am one of the few shetland owners here in CO and I would sure love to show more than 2 times next year... I would be all for going to KS though thats for sure. And am even willing to help in any way I can....

We had no shows in this part of the state. We started with a performance only show the list of required classes is VERY small and can easily be done in one day which means less arena fees, hotel fees and helps with judges and stewards fees.

Without looking it up I think you need to choose either 6 or 8 classes from the performance division and must offer the same class for A and B horses.(so a total of 12 or 18 classes is all you need to get sanctioned) You can have halter classes however the horses will get no points for those classes.

Great way to start you can also add open classes to your class list we have a fwe here who show donkeys and mules so we gave them classes at our sanctioned performance show it was a lot of fun they drove and jumped and the open *not rated* classes allowed those with AMHA horses or grade horses to particpate as well. I think both times our class list was around 70 classes

I am not sure how it is internationally but here in the states AMHR does not fund any club or sponsor any shows short of the area shows. It just takes getting a few of you that are interested and really working hard to make it happen.

Feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this is a stupid question but with money being tight and people trying to go to a couple shows why dont they just combine AMHA and AMHR show and just run separate classes.

Wouldnt that let people bring both their horses and generate new people I would think it would be but I dont know.

Cathy

Over the past 18 months I've sent emails to Area VI Board Members asking about what I would need to do to get an AMHR sanctioned show going in Kansas, but never received any replies. Maybe I didn't ask the right people?????
I'm familiar with what it takes to put on a show, and have done some "big horse" shows so wouldn't be doing it "blind". I have priced 3 excellent facilities in the state, know a few people that would be willing to donate prizes and awards, can get a cracker-jack office team, I even found some big horse people that would love to help just to see what miniature horses can do. And I'm always open to cost-cutting and saving money when putting on a show!!!
default_smile.png

I'm guessing from the comments on this thread that there is some interest. I would love to get some Area VI people down here doing more than passing thru on the way to Tulsa! lol
I've never received an email from you about Kansas shows - what address are you using? I'm the Vice President of the Area VI Club and we have shows in Iowa and sometimes Nebraska because that's where the bulk of the membership is located and where the members who volunteer to do the work at the shows are for the most part. The GPSEA, Area VI Club, and Blue Stem MHC shows in Lincoln, NE always draw a large number of Kansas exhibitors and attendance at sales that I've read pedigrees at in the past in Kansas was always good...I've always wondered why no one was putting on shows in Kansas myself!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back