AMHA, proposals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
I've been debating with myself for the last couple of days how to ask this question. The debate on AMHR has got me wondering.

I've been to AMHA regional shows where there have only been two or three horses entered per class. It's hard to get points that way, but, the top spot usually goes to a trainer. One the other hand they do offer AOTE which I find is great, cause the pro trainer can't hand off to an ammy and then to a youth so the real ameture that can't afford a trainer doesn't stand a snow balls chance in H___. You get the picture. Anyway, what procedures need to be done to get AMHA to lower their fees. Most of us are really suffering financially, lost jobs, no horse sales, etc. it is my feeling that if their fees were lowered more people would be willing to show with them. I personally have a couple of AMHR only horses I would love to get into AMHA before they close, but can't because of lack of funds. My Granson has a lovely AMHR gelding he loves to death and was a gift from one of his special friends, but we can't afford to hardship into AMHA. When we go to a double show he wants to show his beloved gelding at both shows. AMHA could make out I think as right now my experience in the show ring says they are not getting very many exhibitors, mostly trainers. I've been told in the past this is the way they like it, but that just doesn't sit well with me. How do you get things changed? Do you write up a proposal, get signatures, present to a director. What is the protacal? Hope I made my thought clear. Thanks

I would get signatures and ask that all hardship fees be 50% off since this will be the last year to do it. Unfortuantly I don't see how they'll be able to lower anything especially since I have no clue finicially how they are doing. They need some type of promotion idea to bring in new members just like AMHR is doing. Otherwise I think AMHA is just going to go downhill.

Great Ideal, but sorry no help.

But being they are closing the hardship does not sound like they have any problems at this time..

I like all my horses to be AMHA/AMHR I have one filly coming up three in 2013 so either way would be hardshipping her into AMHA

Now if the prices where lowered would consider my 3 geldings.

We have 2 mares and a gelding that would consider hardshipping and showing AMHA if they lowered the hardship fees. It would be a great promotional idea. I really think it would bring in enough revenue to make it worthwhile for the registry.

Otherwise, My money and partcipation will just stay with AMHR.

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

The problem with lowering fees is that it's not just the members that suffer from the poor economy, it's the organization as well. This year stall fees at worlds went up almost $10, and while that really sucks, we have to consider the fact that these facilities increase their rental fees, so it's not necessarily a direct result of AMHA.

It's easy and makes sense to think that if hardship fees were lowered, more people would hardship, and the organization would get more money. The problem is that there's no way to ensure that. If the fees are dropped and there isn't an increase in hardshipping, the organization would lose money, which it cannot afford to do right now.

I also definitely do not think that AMHA wants to discourage amateurs from showing just to keep the trainers happy. It is not "the way they like it." Nobody likes it that way, not even the trainers. From a trainer's perspective, they know they will likely win anyway, so to have a bunch of ammys showing in the open class is good for them because they will get more points for their win.

I think it's easy to generalize, but not always accurate...... Many AOTE exhibitors win in regular ammy classes against people who have their horses with trainers. In fact, by quickly grazing through the world results this year, I'd say there are just as many AOTE exhibitors that win in the regular ammy classes as there are ammys who have their horses in training who win.

I actually sent an email to AMHA regarding lowering their fees for hardshipping for 2012 and got a very polite yet straight up answer back that since hardshipping was closing at the end of the year, they would most likely keep the fees the same. I think that they could have quite a few more horses registered if they made it more affordable, but to each their own.

Is the hardshipping closing in 2012? I would love to get Lulu registered, but I do not have the money to do so. I personally wish they could lower the prices on hardshipping since I know several rescue horses that could easily be hardshipped in. But there is probably no changing that.

I really think AMHA will reconsider closing the book but maybe I am dead wrong. I really feel it was only done to keep out ASPC horses. But I think they are cutting their nose off to spite their face. I just don't think that AMHA is so financially sound that they can afford to close to hardshipping.

The procedure to submit rule changes is in the AMHA rule book and is fairly clear to follow. The main trick is to scan the entire rule book to make sure you propose changes in all rules that need changed to make the book consistent, and either put your contact information on the proposal form and make yourself available to the committees during the meetings or attend the meetings so they can talk to you if they have questions. They cannot make assumptions as to what you intend to say, so can't change any wording to make a proposal clearer and a lot of rule change proposals have died because of that.

Put a little time in, contact the committee chair ahead of time, and establish COMMUNICATION and that way time is not lost because of vague wording or missing words.

There is nothing that says you can't propose making the books open to AMHR registered horses, or abolish the closing of the books.

Instead of complaining about a problem, propose a solution to the problem.

Perhaps AMHA would be willing to follow AMHR's lead and have a 50% off hardshipping sale just for one year. They did change the rules for this year that you only had to go to two shows instead of going by points. This may be something they need to keep as in many area it is near impossible to get the points and many people cannot afford to run all over trying to get points.. it did hurt some shows since people did not have to go to as many but I have a feeling because of the economy that people would not have gone anyhow. I would love to go to more AMHA or double A and R shows. If they could change the show rules than they could do just a one year lower price sale, I bet they would get a lot of horses hardshipped in especially if the books are closing for good but apparently they are not interested.

Is the hardshipping closing in 2012? I would love to get Lulu registered, but I do not have the money to do so. I personally wish they could lower the prices on hardshipping since I know several rescue horses that could easily be hardshipped in. But there is probably no changing that.
No it closes in 2013 so 2012 is the last year.

Unless people sign a petition saying they don't want to see it close I think its going to close. I defintelly think it has something to do with the ASPC horses as more and more getting A sized and I defintelly don't see any favoritisim going towards AMHR as they wanted to seperate themselves from AMHR.

I really, really don't see this going well for AMHA.

I thought all through 2013 you could still hardship horses in. Then at the end of 2013 it was totally closed.

Susan O.

Yeah your right I had to check. I thought it was 01/01/2013 when it ended. Maybe in 2013 they will have a sale?
That would sure be nice
default_smile.png

Susan O.

That would sure be nice
default_smile.png

Susan O.
Yeah, really!
yes.gif
There are so many minis at the local rescue that would be adopted out almost instantly if the rescue could afford to get them hardshipped into AMHA.

A petition will do nothing to change things, only an official rule change can.

Read your rule books, nothing in there about petitions being used to change rules.

Yes, they were used to change the judging back to the 5 judge system, but that system was not in the rule book and thus not an AMHA rule, but an experimental program to see how it would be received.

I am speaking from six years experience on the AMHA board, don't waste your time on petitions.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was an action taken by the board.

No petitions were ever presented to us.

I vaguely recall some mention of petitions at some point and the comment that they couldn't be considered since they weren't part of the process and couldn't be used for any kind of rule change. We had to do it within the rules and bylaws and Roberts Rules of Order.

Latest posts

Back