AMHA Members: Breed or Height?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was unaware this thread was started and I feel I said a few things in the previous posts that are in conjunction with what many of you are saying here. So- I copied them and re--posted- if you already read them- sorry.... but if AMHA really is going to consider breed or height, closed or open, DNA or not.... I hope the directors and committee members are watching these threads.....

First---I love the idea of web voting or absentee voting!!!!- it is long been needed in AMHA and I have brought it up several times in the membership committee meetings and marketing meetings. It would be much easier to get people involved and play vital roles in the best interest of the association. I sure wish this one would go thru but they say no- because too much changes at the actual national meeting verses the rule proposals that they print. I think they should have the rule proposals printed- I think they should be worked out in commitee at the National Meeting, proposed there in front of the membership and directors and then e-mail notification out (at minimum) to the members who have signed up for web voting. Then they can vote at that time. Within 1 week, the totals can be done from the actual meeting results and online results and printed for the general membership.

Or another thought--- how many of you have bid online? Why can't the National Meeting be watched online and vote at the same time everyone else does....register with your member id number and password and go forward- this isn't new technology anymore!!!!

On the other points being made--- as John Eberth said in the other thread- we all are dealing with a bell curve when it comes to height- we all have produced over 34" horses- if you haven't yet- you will- if you breed horses that is. It is the fact that AMHA knows this- they rake in the money and give you nothing back when it happens. They want to declare that the product horse is no longer a miniature horse worthy of their recognition. It isn't that we are whining and crying about what we have produced because there is a place for it that retains it's value- AMHR. What is so disturbing is that AMHA wants us to give money to them and constantly bail them out, they want us to support the shows and give more money to them, they want us to be sponsors and give more money, they want us to advertise and give more money, they want us to DNA, Parent Qualify and give more money- for what? So we can see the corrupt politcs at the shows and measuring or so they can hang us out to dry when a horse out of 2 AMHA National Champions under 34" has produced a slightly taller one? Darn- all I did was breed what they want us to breed, give them the money prior to it being born to show that we bred the right 2 horses as far as their rules go (stallion reports), and then register the foal when it is born, DNA and PQ and then in 5 years make the papers illegitimant and take all that money. Oh and on top of that- they allow us to breed and transfer horses prior to being premanently registered and take the money for those foals, transfers, stallion reports, DNA, etc...again raking in the $ but not worrying about the members.

I have no problem with playing by the rules and going elsewhere if need be to retain value to my animals. The point is.... If AMHA is a "height registry" then don't close the registry and get some "testicular fortitude" and measure horses as they should be. If it is going to be a "breed registry" as they want us to all prove and pay we are doing, then make it a breed registry and anything that is produced out of 2 AMHA horses is still an AMHA horse.

Quality is Quality regardless of height and I will say- if height is all that matters to AMHA- then I forsee me continuing to support AMHR more. And the comments about "What am I going to do when I get something over 38""- Well it better have ASPC or NSPR papers then shouldn't it? There is a huge difference in 34" and 38" as there is a huge difference in 28" and 32". Ask those who struggle to stay in that under 28" group what they do when they have an over 32" foal? Do they consider their foal not worthy of being registered? I would think not.

Robin-LKF

I think there should be a breed standard as far as type. However, anything over 34" should not be designated as breed stock. They should have the papers revoked or have limited registration as in, not being able to register a foal from a stud or mare that went over. Maybe with this people won't be breeding fillies at age 2. Maybe they will wait until the mare herself has finished growing.

I love the idea of web voting or absentee voting!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
DITTO-DITTO-DITTO!!

we all have produced over 34" horses- if you haven't yet- you will- if you breed horses that is.
TELL me about it!
default_yes.gif
I have one AMHA mare whose foals generally go 32", thankfully I double registered her a few years ago, as all of a sudden she foaled a "monster". Twister was 24 1/2" at birth, and as a three year old is 37.50.
default_new_shocked.gif
Where the heck did THAT come from. The stallion is AMHA as well, as AMHR, and has never thrown a foal over 33" until this guy. So I spent the registration money to register him...gelded him...and still lost my AMHA $$.

Perhaps we could go back to "Oversize" horses, and have them as "non-breeding stock". Ya think?
default_unsure.png

I for one am in complete agreement the membership at large should have a voice in some way to major issues like changing hardship, height, and other key rules. In todays technology it has to be possible.

Heck before all this technology I used to show dogs and the national club mailed ballots to memebership and everyone had until a certain date to get their votes back...that to me was a club run by the membership not by the elite.

Now for the height versus breed I am very torn. I agree it is a shame to rule out a horse only because of its size. On the other hand with the trend in the show ring for the taller and taller horses being the ones who win when the breed standard calls for the award to go to the smaller horse (yes I know of equal quality) really worries me. I think of a mini horse as something pretty small and 38" isn't small to me.

It see so many breeders not trying to produce the best small horses. rather it seems breeders are concentrating all their efforts on those almost 34" horses because that is what wins. AND now there are lots and lots of horses going over is that a surprise?

Yes we used to have foundation stock, and they finally did away with that, but we want to bring it back? ok then we are going to have to have an A and a B division like AMHR does and the same silly squabbles over cheating to get a big horse into the smaller classes so it has an unfair advantage right??
default_no.gif

It just seems like AMHA is inching it way up to taller and taller horses. I personally love the tiny ones, but know that they don't win big shows like the tall ones do. But I don't care I still like them
default_biggrin.png

I am just so afraid if they remove the height from the breed standard we will loose those the true mini.
default_unsure.png

Then as far as hardshipping. If AMHA would do the same as AMHR and accept AMHR papers in a "hardship type situation, I think that is reasonable. AT the price for hardshipping, I can't see many people wanting to step up to the plate and pay those big bucks so I am not opposed to leaving the hardship rule as it is. I guess the books have to close sometime . I just think the hardshipped horses can't really be making that much of an impact ??? Does anyone have any idea the number of horses hardshipped in the last year? just curious

Over all I would like to have proposed rule changes open and clearly written before the meeting and a chance to vote. THen if I don't bother to vote I should sit down and shut up. but when I don't have a chance to vote...whine whine whine....
default_rolleyes.gif

one last thought, I have never thought of minis AMHA or AMHR as anything but a breed, because despite the height limit they still have documented pedigrees some for many many generations. (probably one reason why hardship will have to eventually go)

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]I feel it would be in the best interest of AMHA to re-instate oversized "breeding stock only" paperwork on our horses that go over 34". Only allow those under 34" to show. Realistically, losing a well bred "AMHA" registered horse and their pedigree because it goes over an inch is not of benefit to anyone. We have all experiance foals being born who's sires and dams are well under 34" (I had a 29.75" stallion bred to a 31.5 inch mare, both with tiny pedigrees throw a foal that matured to 35.25!) [/SIZE]

I don't believe anyone with AMHA stock is intentionally trying to breed for larger than 34" but it does happen and again, the reality is there are folks that will breed that over 34 inch AMHA mare because she has awesome bloodlines, conformation, color, intitial investment in the horse ect... and through careful selection will breed to reduce the foal of that mare.

Not knowing the true height of the dam of that foal doesn't benefit those who are adamant about only breeding the smallest perfect horse. Re-instating the "oversized breeding stock only" would give breeders the tools nessessary to truely know the sizes in the horses pedigree, and make an educated decision on whether they wish to purchase that foal, or breed that foal and if so, what size stallion would be more appropriate to use. If you want to show the animal who is over 34" , show in AMHR "B" division.

Just my 2 cent
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back