Am i crazy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twintrades

Reaction score
Were looking at getting our first horse. He would be a foal. Is a first horse as a foal recomended most older ones around me are not trained in the least bit.

Not usually, it's usually better if one of you knows something. Horses, especially young ones with little training will test you. Do you have any horse experience?

Honestly no. Other than reading a ton on here and you tube. Im a quick learning guy and not afraid to ask for advice.

Unless you are planning on having a LOT of professional type help on almost a daily then no it is not a good idea. What you may think is cute may actually be something that needs to be curbed quickly so it doesn't become a dangerous situation later. Definitely look for an older horse with some training even if you have to look farther away. Also the phrase...you get what you pay for.....is often very true when concerning horses especially for new horse people.

I assume you mean a miniature, If you have got support and some basic horse knowledge you can make a go of it, but i personally don't like foals bing a firsrt horse.

I'm another one that would advise against starting with a foal. Before you go out looking for your first horse, I think you really need to ask yourself what you want the horse for ?. Showing , Driving, pet, pony for the kids ect.

I think when you have determined this , this will give you a better idea of what kind of horse you will be looking to buy.

When I got my first horse , he was at the other end of the scale. An 18 yo ( still fairly young) Welsh mountain Pony that stood at 12.2 hands. I was in the same position as you , my first pony, lack of hands on knowledge ect.

He had, as they say, "Been there and done that" so he was perfect pony to take to lessons. For the first year I had him , I had someone work alongside me, learning all the basics, grooming , caring, feeding ect.

Maybe there are some clubs around you , that you could attend to learn some basics, there maybe someone there that could act as a mentor , someone that can assist you as you learn.

Cheers

I would agree with the other posts for the most part. I got my first mini when I was 11 and he was 9 months (and still have him). I 'grew up' on horseback ('biggies" of course) and had a lot of experience around horses, but obviously was very young. I did all the training and taught him everything he knows, and in the process he taught me a LOT more. Now, nearly 20 years later he is a great horse but he has some bad habits - which I also taught him without realizing it at the time due to my young age and inexperience. To this day I continually have to work with him on some of these issues, but fortunately none of his issues are too serious (things like pawing, purposefully misbehaving while being trimmed, having a LOT of attitude and knowing when he can/ can't get away with something). I would advise as the others that you first get a horse who has been taught good manners, so that this horse can teach you. Afterward, once you have more experience and a good understanding of acceptable behaviors then you can look into getting a foal.

My second mini that I got not too long after (only a year later) was also less than a year old when I got her. I was still young, but had been taught a LOT from mini #1 in that year, and have not had to wrestle with the same challenges with her or any of my other horses.

So, if you are set on getting a foal, I would suggest first getting an older experienced horse, and then looking to get a foal next year. You will learn a LOT in that year, AND the older horse will work as a 'training aid' and will help to teach your foal many of the good habits they have been taught! Just my two cents!

Thats the issue.... Not much to choose from around me. And people that have minis dont spend time with them. so when there for sale theres a issue with them. ( no training, lame, ect.) seen a couple on my travels as a pest control guy. Dang near all had bad hooves. And big ol pot bellies

In the long run im wanting one for driving. And of coarse a pet/family member. Im not set on a foal but im leaning more towards one than someones problem they want gone.

And i wont lie. I cant Spend a ton on one either. There is a near by lady selling 2 for $100 each. Silver bay and smokey black colts.

If you are looking at Colts, you'll need to consider the expense of having them gelded. An intact colt will typically test you more than a gelding or mare. And there are more liability issues should a stallion get out.

I thought about that... I was thinking if we get one I'll have the fixing done as soon as they can. I just found a 7 yr old mare. That was put on the back burner so to say.

She needs floating most likely and for sure a ferrier visit.

In April 2009, we brought home our first miniature horse. She was 10 months old. I had never owned my own horse of any size or breed, but had loved them and read about them all my life.

At the time, I knew we had to get at least one more and after much thought/study, I chose to bring home an older horse. I found an 11 yr old mare for sale and brought her home. In hindsight, I wish we had simply gotten another weanling/yearling. The mare has never bonded with anyone in our family. She is extremely well behaved but would prefer if we left her completely alone. On the other hand, the other 4 we have, all brought home as weanlings other than the near yearling (who had not been weaned still), are very bonded to us. The relationship is MUCH better. I learned nothing from the older mare. I learned much of what I now know here on these boards and from local miniature friends.

My experience may be the exception I admit. Another older horse may have bonded beautifully. We'll never know. I just know that the 3 weanlings that came after I had no trouble training and preferred that I was the one who trained them to this point.

I would suggest you contact the local vet and see what the TOTAL price for gelding will cost you. Chances are when it's all said and done it will probably be between $200 and $300 maybe more. Plus it will be close to 3 yrs before you can do anything really strenuous like driving. Please look farther away for an older horse. A little driving will make everyone's life easier in the long run.

You sound as if you have your head on with regard to care. I'm kind of leaning towards going for it. But one thing to note is that they should not be kept alone - they need a mini friend. So you should look at maybe an older one too who can put manners in a younger one at the same time.

To answer your first question...the topic of your post...i.e, Are you Crazy? I don't know; you probably are crazy if you're thinking of getting a horse.
default_frusty.gif

I'm not as experienced as some others who responded to you here, but I'd have to disagree with some of their advice. I was raised around horses as a child, so there was some bit of instinct/knowledge lingering, but as a child, adults always took care of the things that one might have to face as an adult horse owner. And I only have 3 minis on which to base my opinion (well, 4 if you count the one that was put down.)

We got Nicky (avatar photo) from some rich people's bankruptcy auction; I figured rich people would have good bloodlines and would take care of them. At the same time, we got a mare; she became ill within a couple months and was put down--so much for the rich people. So then we got a Craigslist mare. She hopped over the stall door and Nicky got her pregnant. In order of my preference for ease of handling, the first one is our baby (3 years old now); Coco (the Craigslist mare) had maybe 8 hours with Baby, and then we were all in there handling the baby. If we need to do something new around here, I always get Baby to do it first. The next easiest to handle is the stallion, Nicky. Last in the ease-of handling is the mare, Coco. We got Coco at around 4 years. She didn't and still pretty much doesn't even like to be touched. So to answer your question, I think I would prefer a younger horse; even at 3 years, Baby is still pretty open to new things.

By the way, "everybody" on the internet seems to feel that stallions are a liability. I am always more concerned about Coco, the mare, vice the stallion because she's "wilder."

That said, I'm not advocating you get a couple colts and leave them uncut. I suggest that it is your decision. One option for gelding, that I can think of... around here, sometimes there are gelding clinics. I've seen costs of 50 or 100 dollars. That is strictly for gelding, not for any aftercare or shots, like tetanus or whatever. And usually you have to pre-register.

Some other thoughts....

Use your common sense. If their hooves look bad, I'd steer clear. Horses spend much of their time on their feet; I just wouldn't risk it.

You didn't mention whether you wanted to show; so you could call around to breeders; somebody might have one available that is not show quality, but would be perfect for your needs at a better price.

NOOOO on the tater chips. The lady that sold me Coco was feeding her Triscuits (and goat food) ....god did her poop stink.

"NOOOO on the tater chips. The lady that sold me Coco was feeding her Triscuits (and goat food) ....god did her poop stink."

HAHAHAHA - too funny - ROFLMBO!!!!

Think he meant their like the reference "...like tater chips, 'ya can't have just one..." ... LOL.

My lesson kids used to share their chips with the Shetlands on a regular basis, too. They loved them - didn't notice any significant difference in the scent of their waste - urine or manure - but then just being in NC vs CO/MT w/ different pasture, hay, and feed there was a HUGE change in all that, that took me years to get used to - big grinning, smiley!

OP - NO, I don't think you are crazy - however, your family and friends MIGHT! Welcome to a wacky, wonderful, crazy kinda' world. There are all kinds of us out here.

I agree and disagree w/ several of the posts here. Ultimately, it will end up being your decision based wholly on your situation and abilities.

Like AngC, I grew up w/ horses and ponies, at various times/ages, and i WAS VERY LUCKY. I had riding lessons from some of the best in the equestrian world - before they became "known" (in HI, VA, CO, NE, TX & MT). I was immersed in all things horse for a short period when I was 10 at the riding stable we started out only taking lessons 1x week at when I was 5/6. There, I experienced and witnessed all types of riding - from trick to western working, to barrel racing/rodeo to include broncs, to driving (beginning, backyard pleasure type - not any competition type or even done correctly?), both "cowboy" & real polo, to hunt seat/ jumping and even SOME dressage. That was a wonderful 5 years of learning (started going out to the stables when I was 5/6 until we moved when I was 10/11. So I knew there were as many different breeds/kinds of horses and styles of training then, in Hawaii, as there are now. I "shadowed" some old cowboys who took me "under their wing" and also some up and coming US Olympic competitors between 1970 and 1974. My dad was Navy - that's how we came to be there in HI and in other states later.

As a pre-teen thru young adulthood, when we got back into horses - I was an avid studier. I got every book I could from the libraries we had access to - both on base and in the neighborhoods we were in at the time - even when we didn't have horses (much of the time). When she could, mom took us riding in both Maryland and Virginia - western trail riding and huntseat riding lessons. We received several different types of horse magazines (some of which are no longer in existence and I sure wish they were!) and later those would become a "god-send".

AS a young adult in CO, I took over the "farm" (6 acres) and the budget along w/ all care of the full size horses we had (from 4 - 10 head at any given time). I learned how to adjust feed to an individual's needs, how to stock up on bulk hay for our # of horses, care/maintenance of equipment & property. My sister (and since our 3 daughters) had no interest in that part of horse/animal ownership - she (and years later my own daughters) only wanted to ride and wanted nothing to do w/ actual care and/or training of the equine.

Then I joined the Army myself and met my soon to be hubby (not a horse person). We went on to raise 3 daughters - on a single, enlisted military paycheck after I left the Army... I wanted back into horses - but w/ a size that would work for our YOUNG children when we came back stateside (2 were born in GE). Even in 1992 - there were not good quality, well trained ponies w/i any kind of budget we could manage. The only experiences I'd had with shetlands/minis - weren't so good but didn't matter because I simply didn't have the kind of money the sellers thought some were worth (and care/training was as negligible then as it is now).

Enter the "rag mag" in a Montana GROCERY STORE of all places, when I was visiting my mom and step-dad, that had an ad for Shetlands... I got in contact w/ the person from the ad (the 2 ponies had already been sold) - via a land line phone and later "snail mail". She gave me #s & I called the ASPC/AMHR and got a copy of The Journal - which had pics of ponies that were "painted". YAY - my kind of horses (oops - ponies). W/I 2 yrs, I bought 2 shetlands - our 1st. Had to take out a bank loan to do so (I was working at the time in MT) - 1 of those was the tiny foal that had been pictured in that very first ad and bred by that very 1st person I'd had "pony contact" with... he was a stallion (that original foal - now a 3 yr old) and a mare. It was a hard decision - I didn't really want a stallion (had handled many as a youth and while training as a young adult) but then decided that it was good as I planned on breeding for more of what I wanted. Found out that in the 10 years I hadn't owned horses or really even worked with them, that I'd forgotten A LOT... Other things I remembered - but they weren't considered "right" in different parts of the USA in the 90s or NOW...

Soooo.

I believe that a newcomer CAN work w/ young foals. I also believe that IF you CAN FIND an older, well trained horse at an affordable price - that MAY be the better way to go. I agree that working with trainers/instructors is a GOOD thing. The horse world is a constantly evolving one - YET - some OLD SCHOOL notions and ways of doing things still work and do so better than any current day "fad"... "Horse whisper-ers" have been around since the dawn of time - the term has just been brought back and recently overused (IMHO). Cowboys and vaqueros have also been around a long time and some are good - some NOT.

I believe in working with trainers and instructors - and in the case of mini horses/ponies - working with the trainers that work w/ biggies as there are more out there. If you can find a mini mentor as well - that's GREAT. Even if you don't get registered minis/ponies - there are groups in ASPC/AMHR that will work with you.

Today, there are many good books and DVDs out there that detail working with horses - for beginners and working with foals. Some are written by knowledgeable mini owners/trainers/breeders and feature tried and true methods that work for them with minis along w/ good pictures/video of them. Some minis have health care issues that don't happen or seem to plaque the "biggies" while the "biggies" also have issues that never seem to occur w/ the minis.

AND as usual, I'm writing a book! You touched on a chord that is near and dear to my heart (new owners getting started in horses).

Welcome to the horse world and PLEASE DO SHARE what you purchase.

Above, super long post, wouldn't let me go into it and add some things.

As of June 2015, we have owned Shetland ponies for 20 years. The very 1st one was "B" mini sized and I now have 2 of her "B" mini sized grand sons as well as the very 1st Shetland foal we raised in 1996 (the daughter of the original pair). We also have the very last son of the original stallion we started with (who was euthanized in 2012)... I didn't breed a large number of purebred Shetlands when we started out, and at one time I literally only owned 2 purebred shetlands when we went to bigger horses as our daughters out grew the ponies, but in 2009 finally went back to owning purebred Shetlands/minis and currently have over 20 head to play with.

AS an older adult, I no longer ride "biggies" (still have our saddles, though). I took lessons for over a 9 months with a draft horse trainer in driving in 2010 (and with other instructors since then to increase my own knowledge and to make my ponies better driving horses) and since have trained a lot of ours to pull and to drive. I have many more now to train - youngsters - but we are currently working w/ and on our new, hopefully forever, property of 21 acres and a new "part-time" job has once again become full time. I haven't actually worked ponies in over 9 months and I DO MISS IT and I think some of my driving ponies do as well.

The youngsters are all enjoying being "wild ponies"... except when the vet or farrier visits, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
"NOOOO on the tater chips. The lady that sold me Coco was feeding her Triscuits (and goat food) ....god did her poop stink."

HAHAHAHA - too funny - ROFLMBO!!!!

Think he meant their like the reference "...like tater chips, 'ya can't have just one..." ... LOL.
Geez, color me dumb.

hmph. Well, I still don't recommend Triscuits; my husband threw up when he was cleaning her poop out of the trailer, and I was worried she might be sick.

That said, if I were buying again, I would spend much more time with the horse. Coco was a little difficult to load into the trailer; I assumed it was due to the lady's boyfriend wandering around flapping his arms and just generally being a douche-bag. After Coco arrived home here, I learned that she was allergic to halters. I hired a well-qualified woman the first summer to train me and help with Coco. Even so, I've spent a couple years on Coco and the halter; it was frustrating. So I would recommend to the original poster that you spend some time with the horse. See how you get along. Maybe come back for a couple visits. Take the time to see how the horse behaves. ...just a thought.

I don't have a lot of knowledge about minis even though Seven has "owned" me for 5 years. He was 3 when I purchased him and he was a brat. I had never been around a horse big or small, that could act that bad. He still has his moments and won't do a lot of things I want him to do so my suggestion is to find a more experienced mini or pony. They can be so frustrating and so many times I've wanted to throw in the towel but he's staying here for as long as I can care for him. I would like another one but will only look at older minis that have had a lot of handling and know the difference between right and wrong.

I know you mentioned not having a lot of money, but in the long run it is worth spending more on the horse you want. I wouldn't recommend getting a young horse, especially if you don't know much about horses. I would wait, continue learning and researching, and buy a quiet driving horse (if that's what you want to do). Settling and buying just because its near buy will end up costing you more.

Back