Am i crazy?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the others, a been there done that got the shirt kind of horse would be the best. In dressage they call them school masters. You want one that can teach you. Green + Green = black n blue.

What I have learned in over 40 years in horses.

You get what you pay for.

You buy a baby or breed for a baby, well that is the 10 year plan to get what you hope for, and you usually don't get that.

Especially in driving or even riding (biggies) safety, safety, safety! You wreck with a green horse because you don't know what you are doing and the horse is ruined for life.

Think of the cost to grow that baby to be old enough to drive at age 3. Feed, farrier, vet, housing, time, time, time, time, then, uh, what do I do now? Oh sh*t! that was wrong! Now you own a mistake, For sale, one mistake, pasture ornament or very long term rehab project with lots of bad habits you taught it by accident. What? Nobody wants it? But he's pretty!

Come buy my older pinto driving gelding, he isn't super easy, but good minded, isn't going to hurt you, I can teach you how to adjust his new harness to his new cart, and teach you how to drive him, and if you have questions, I know him inside out and can help you out. Yes, not $100 but not $2,000 either. He isn't going to hurt you and you will have a lot of fun.

By the way, please by the book "Getting Your First Horse" by Judith Dutson" Yes, she is a friend and yes, I am mentioned in there somewhere, but the point is the book is aimed at first time adult horse owners and is very well done. Whatever you decide, good luck and have a great time!

PS horses are herd animals and do best when kept with others of the same kind!

one of my relatives heard i was looking for a mini. shes had minis,poneys and biggies. Called me up and is having her "horse guy" find me a driving older mare. I guess there are horse auctions down in the southern part of the state. He said he could find a friendly, kid safe healthy cart horse in my buying range. And she also said mini carts go for $50 there too! Ez entry and hyper bikes.

So i think ill try that route. Best about it is if anything is wrong. (health temperment ect ) he will refund my cash and find another..... oh and delivery is free.

Thoughts on this ?

I need to go to that auction and buy carts to re-sell! I've never seen used ez entry carts sell for less than $300.

That is an excellent way to go, kudos to your relative for doing this for you.

Much better idea and more fun for you. You will not believe how much fun you will have driving. If there are any Rail Trails near you, those are wonderful to drive on as well. Mostly straight and level and through beautiful country.

Glad you are asking questions before going out and buying.

You indicated you have no experience, and not a lot of money. The original purchase of your horse will be the least of your expenses. If you are struggling to come up with a purchase price of anything under $500.....DO NOT BUY ANYTHING. Here are just a few things that you MUST take into account...unless you hate your horse.

Feed: Unless you have access to good pasture and make your own hay, grow your own grain, figure it will cost you around $500 a year AS A LOW FIGURE to feed the horse.

Worming: should be wormed at a minimum 4 times a year with a rotation of wormers. Another $50 or $60 a year.

Hoof trimming: If you have a local farrier that can do a good job - figure on spending at least $25 (plus a trip charge in many cases) at least every 8 to 10 weeks. Another $150 a year.

Vaccinations: A minimum of a 4-way or 6-way every year = $15 to $25.

Vet calls: Never know what to expect - just figure you could run up bills for everything from an injury to colic to EPM to.......(the list of potential problems is endless).

Fencing: Anywhere from several hundred to several thousand dollars.

Shelter: A barn/shed for hay storage. Also a minimum of free choice shelter for the horse. Many options, but very necessary.

Now, if you have already figured out the finances and still want to get a mini - and since you have no experience, my recommendation is to go spend some time with your relative BEFORE you buy...have them show you appropriate care, feeding, medical care....and show you the difference between a horse that is rolling to itch, and a horse that is rolling because it is in pain. And I highly recommend you do NOT get a foal. Get a horse that can teach you. A "been there, done that" gelding is what I would recommend. Auctions serve a purpose (i.e., which sometimes includes unloading problem animals to SOMETIMES unsuspecting buyers), but I would suggest you buy privately so that you have an opportunity to handle the horse BEFORE you buy....an option not available at auctions. Not all auctions are created equal. There are good ones out there, and then there are those that I call "junk" auctions.

Latest posts

Back