Alfala

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feed a combination of grass and alfalfa. I know that most people in my area feed alfalfa because good clean grass is really hard to come by out here. I prefer to feed a mix just because I feel alfalfa is too hot and high in protein to feed straight. I know alot of people feed it and do just fine, but like I said I prefer a mix JMHO.

I am no expert on feeding, but I supplement our hay with alfalfa pellets because our hay is just such poor quality around here. The alfalfa has more protein and nutrients than some other hays. If we had better quality hay here I probably would not feed alfalfa.

I am looking into feeding the bales, i found a feed store that guarantees it blister beetle free and had heard of it being "too" much for horses but i would not feed much and just wondered what the benefits would be from it...he gets ample hay and equine Senior and some grass but thought about it......

Alfalfa is high in protein, energy, calcium, vitamins, and fiber. It is a good hay but you don't want to feed too much of it. Alot of people would mix it, for example we give our broodmares when they are closer to due timothy/alfalfa mixed hay. Timothy is the next best thing for calcium after alfalfa.

We give alfalfa cubes during the winter but we give to the point of what they need in forage. They still have plenty of pasture to chew on. If we give straight grass free choice hay we would certaintly have lots of hay bellies here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed alfalfa, oat pellets and the boys get timothy hay. I was told burmua hay can cause a blockage by my vet and the breeder told me the alfalfa was to rich for them. Timothy is the only other grass hay I can get .

We feed Coastal Bermuda that has been tested to have high protein. We also have plenty of grass for them to eat during the winter. We have been doing this for four years without any problems, but my horses are free range.

I love to feed hay & I can not feed as much as I would like with alfalfa. Had to feed it one winter when we ran out & my air ferns came out of winter fat.

Last edited by a moderator:
We feed Alfalfa and Hybrid Bermuda Mixed to our Pregnant Mares (alfalfa increases milk production according to my vet) and we continue the Alfalfa with mixed grass hay to the lactating mare and foal until the foal is eating grain readily.

well .. i will say many people falsely believe grass hay is very low in protien and that just isnt always the case in fact I think if many people had there grass hay tested they would be a bit shocked.

Remember the protien only comes in as the horses entire daily ration not just in one feed.

I am sure Robin C can explain it better but alfalfa is a perfectly fine feed for horses millions of horses in this country are getting it and do fine including my own herd
smile.gif

I have never had any luck feeding Alfalfa. I wish I did, it is much easier to get. A lot of my horses end up with the runs when I tried it.

Have tried it twice now, and it happened again. This is 50/50 grass, alfalfa.

I wish there was an answer for me, because I can find alfalfa just about everywhere.

We got into feeding alfalfa one year when the grass hay crop was a disaster and we had no choice. I am very glad we did as my herd does very well on it. We feed about 50/50 with grass hay. We had to start them on it slowly to prevent the stool upset, but now they do great. I agree that it really seems to help the lactating mares. Linda

Frankie said:
I have never had any luck feeding Alfalfa. I wish I did, it is much easier to get. A lot of my horses end up with the runs when I tried it. Have tried it twice now, and it happened again. This is 50/50 grass, alfalfa.

I wish there was an answer for me, because I can find alfalfa just about everywhere.

508250[/snapback]

Me, too! I can feed a mix ok, but more than about 40% alfalfa in the mix and the horses get the runs. Alfalfa and my 2 year old mini mare really don't get along at all; I can tell instantly if she gets into too much alfalfa as she'll have a dirty tail.

Until getting into the minis I had halter futurity babies and fed alfalfa as my hay source. I haven't had any luck with grass hay giving the results I wanted. It just doesn't put the muscle on and I fight big guts with the grass hay. Alfalfa puts a better top line on and I am now feeding my show minis alfalfa.

Latest posts

Back