Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tilly has more fill in her udder tonight and her vulva looks more relaxed.....?????? She's been here before, maybe it's a good sign tonight?

Tilly's udder went down again through the day :rolleyes: . It's been decided here that she's never going to foal.

Jodie, is she giving you any signs yet?

Tilly's udder went down again through the day :rolleyes: . It's been decided here that she's never going to foal.

Jodie, is she giving you any signs yet?
No, she’s basically stalled at chunky, odd shaped belly and puffiness just in front of her teats that I can cup with my hand. I’m thinking she was bred pretty late and is going to be more late July, maybe even August.

That sounds like what Tilly looked like when I got her 12 weeks ago. Then the edema softened up and she started an udder a week later. 🤔. If she'd read the book she would have foaled 4-6 weeks after that.

Big hard udder again this morning but still no milk to test. If I can remember I'll try the warm cloth trick later. 🤷‍♀️ No idea.....

Last edited:
There's no way Snickers isn't pregnant if you've seen all that movement. It is VERY different than digestion and I don't know why else her shape would keep changing that much. I wish she'd get an udder going though. I suppose the previous owner, who sounds kind of clueless, could be completely wrong and she still has a while to go although I think you only can see lots of movement in or near their last trimester when the baby's bigger? Don't let your family get you down. Even if you're wrong and she's not in foal she's been cozying up the your stud so should be for next year when you can have all this 'fun' again! Hahahahahah!! Maybe x2....

Udder went down again today, I don't get that, it will stay for a few days without changing then get big for a day then almost disappear for a while before coming back. Anyway here are some pictures of my frustration tonight. Sorry about the bad udder picture, it's the best of about 6. Any ideas? Her tail isn't really soft but when I picked it up and down for a while it didn't get tighter like it normally does. Very much still a wide load but so was my other one when she foaled so I'm trying to not get too discouraged about that.

IMG_20200616_182716.jpgIMG_20200616_182634.jpgIMG_20200616_182838.jpgIMG_20200616_182650.jpg

Holy wide load! She is adorable! Hopefully she doesn’t keep this up for much longer, you must be exhausted!
I tried to take some pictures to show the puffiness in front of Rosie’s teats, but it doesn’t really seem to show in pictures (though I’ve attached them anyway). I know she has quite a ways to go yet, but given that she is a maiden and we basically have about a 3 month window as to when she could foal, I like to keep an eye on her and monitor any changes. Something that is really bothering me though is the shape of her stomach at times - when she doesn’t have a big full belly and turns a certain way, her belly almost lumps out underneath her rib cage. It does it on both sides and gets more bulbous so to speak as it goes towards her back legs. It’s so so strange, have any of you seen this before, or have any ideas as to why it may do that? I’ve attached another picture of her just because she is so darn cute lol

Attachments

• 84A28495-8F1C-4329-A141-4B5C2B2EAE5F.jpeg
    84A28495-8F1C-4329-A141-4B5C2B2EAE5F.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 5
  • 1F10B4F9-A01E-4E54-A480-D597EACDC665.jpeg
    1F10B4F9-A01E-4E54-A480-D597EACDC665.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 5
  • B59BC6AF-43FD-420A-A7E9-9CDA44D04DE8.jpeg
    B59BC6AF-43FD-420A-A7E9-9CDA44D04DE8.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 6
  • F15DD55E-412F-4E2D-9676-475DAB96BEAF.jpeg
    F15DD55E-412F-4E2D-9676-475DAB96BEAF.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 6
I love your mom helping you! Have you been able to get a drop of milk out of Tilly?
Nothing, I've even tried with the 'mini mare breast pump' in my foaling kit, adding to the 'crazy' ;) My mom is out helping me turn out and bring in and feed every day :)
Holy wide load! She is adorable! Hopefully she doesn’t keep this up for much longer, you must be exhausted!
I tried to take some pictures to show the puffiness in front of Rosie’s teats, but it doesn’t really seem to show in pictures (though I’ve attached them anyway). I know she has quite a ways to go yet, but given that she is a maiden and we basically have about a 3 month window as to when she could foal, I like to keep an eye on her and monitor any changes. Something that is really bothering me though is the shape of her stomach at times - when she doesn’t have a big full belly and turns a certain way, her belly almost lumps out underneath her rib cage. It does it on both sides and gets more bulbous so to speak as it goes towards her back legs. It’s so so strange, have any of you seen this before, or have any ideas as to why it may do that? I’ve attached another picture of her just because she is so darn cute lol
I think I know what you're talking about, that would be the baby. I'll post a couple of pictures of Tilly, you can't see it(of course, I have the hardest time getting pictures to show what I see) but there is a ridge under where my hand is and it bulges out below my hand. Does that sound right? Definitely the baby, I've had kicks there. I think your side picture shows it. I'm not an expert so could be completely wrong or wishful thinking or just the picture, but it looks like she could be starting an udder. Yes edema but that doesn't happen behind their teats only in front. Do you have other pictures to compare to? Rosie is really cute!
IMG_20200608_183300.jpgIMG_20200608_183328.jpg Sometimes it sticks out and sometimes not but yes below the rib cage.

Oh and her udder was back up again this morning, we'll see what it looks like later.

Nothing, I've even tried with the 'mini mare breast pump' in my foaling kit, adding to the 'crazy' ;) My mom is out helping me turn out and bring in and feed every day :)

I think I know what you're talking about, that would be the baby. I'll post a couple of pictures of Tilly, you can't see it(of course, I have the hardest time getting pictures to show what I see) but there is a ridge under where my hand is and it bulges out below my hand. Does that sound right? Definitely the baby, I've had kicks there. I think your side picture shows it. I'm not an expert so could be completely wrong or wishful thinking or just the picture, but it looks like she could be starting an udder. Yes edema but that doesn't happen behind their teats only in front. Do you have other pictures to compare to? Rosie is really cute!
View attachment 41617View attachment 41618 Sometimes it sticks out and sometimes not but yes below the rib cage.

Oh and her udder was back up again this morning, we'll see what it looks like later.

“Mini mare breast pump” 😅 😅
Oh that makes me feel so much better, thank you! I did think was possibly the baby but it looks so creepy! She eats more during the day than she does at night so it’s more visible in the mornings when she turns to the side and you see where her ribs would end and then this big bulge!
And yes the puffiness/edema is in front of her udder not behind - it basically goes belly, puffy part, teats, if that makes sense. Almost like a little human baby butt lol 🤣
I don’t have any pictures from the exact same angle, but here’s one from a week ago. I’ll be sure to take pictures from that angle from now on though.

Attachments

• C461DDB1-11CC-48F3-9D8D-53B8ABE4A287.jpeg
    C461DDB1-11CC-48F3-9D8D-53B8ABE4A287.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 5
“Mini mare breast pump” 😅 😅
Oh that makes me feel so much better, thank you! I did think was possibly the baby but it looks so creepy! She eats more during the day than she does at night so it’s more visible in the mornings when she turns to the side and you see where her ribs would end and then this big bulge!
And yes the puffiness/edema is in front of her udder not behind - it basically goes belly, puffy part, teats, if that makes sense. Almost like a little human baby butt lol 🤣
I don’t have any pictures from the exact same angle, but here’s one from a week ago. I’ll be sure to take pictures from that angle from now on though.
[/QUOT

I don't know but it looks like she could have a bit of something happening when I compare last weeks picture with the new one. Anyone else see anything or is it just me? Honestly I con't hold a thought in my head longer than a few min. right now so it could just be me. Come on Tilly, I need to get some sleep!!

I have no idea what I just did wrong but expand the quote above for what I wrote 🤔 :rolleyes:

I have no idea what I just did wrong but expand the quote above for what I wrote 🤔 :rolleyes:
Lol no worries. And yes it feels like something is maybe starting to happen - she’s very good at letting me feel her udder/belly etc. She’s sure come a long way from when we got her - she was a nightmare to catch and would bite and kick at you if you even attempted to go anywhere near her feet/touch her belly. Now my 7 year old can halter her and pick her feet :)
Ahh I sure hope Tilly quits holding out on you and has her baby soon!

Latest posts

Back