Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why does Snickers look "less pregnant"? She has never really been very wide like I see in some of the mare photos? One day she looks "dropped" but then she's back to looking only a little chubby, not pregnant. She is a larger mini at 36". Baby is still bumping and kicking so I know she is still pregnant. Previous owner insists she was covered June 2019, but not what day. Shouldn't she look bigger? Any advice out there? Frustrated here! Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about her not looking big. If the foal is not sitting sideways most of the time and is instead lined up with mom she won't look as big. If the foal is in position she will look less pregnant. Dad is only 29inches (I think) so there's a good chance she could have a smaller foal. She's a bigger mare and could be carrying high, again won't look as big. There's a picture here somewhere, sorry couldn't find it, of a mare that didn't look pregnant at all then had a foal that afternoon. I heard a story about a tb mare who was bred, checked not in foal so was put back into race training, won her race and foaled that night. Had no signs at all. I know a person who did that too, 3 babies and didn't show with any of them and she was model thin. No idea where they put it but it happens. You know the foal is doing fine, that's all that matters. I'm loosing my mind waiting and worrying as you are. We are both as prepared as possible. From what you've been told she should foal this month or early next month if she goes long, remember it's not a problem for to go 'late' like with people. Hang in there!!!! They did it the right way with the mini donkey, don't know they're pregnant and find a beautiful baby in the morning. I never want to do this again......

Oh boy. Any Tilley progress yet? When I went to feed this morning before work, I saw that Snickers has dropped a bit more. I tried to check udder, etc but I just put food down and none of my girls want to be bothered with food in front of them. I didn't want a hoof to the head just before work! Family will keep an eye on her today. I'm really pulling for the weekend! I have decided that when she does foal, I will keep stallion with the girls so he can see it, get used to the idea and then move him over to my other pen with "the boys" ( I had all male animals until the girls arrived!). Then he can see the baby through the fence and we can gauge his behavior safely. If I move him now, the baby would be a surprise addition when he is returned to his "harem." Is this logical or not? If I move him too early I feel they would all be upset because they would share a fence line. He used to pace the line and refuse to eat before I let him in there. Snickers has not bagged up any more than my last pictures unfortunately. Her rear muscles seem to have slightly relaxed though. I have not been able to get any milk and I don't think she would tolerate my checking well. When I get near that udder she is ready to bite and kick. She must be rolling a lot lately because she is so filthy! When I pat her lightly I get a dust cloud! Hopefully I will be there when she foals so I can wash her udders and teats when she is down. What a crazy time....

Rolling is good!!! She might not bag up at all until she foals, don't stress on that. Dropped more is good! I think you're getting close, this weekend would be great!!!!!

Tilly's had absolutely no changes since last Wed. She rolled once the afternoon I thought she was in labour but nothing since or for a few weeks before that. Quiet at night, barely any tail swishing. Lots of eating. I think you're seeing more with Snickers than I am with Tilly. Going insane!!!!!!

I would take your boy out if you know Snickers is in labour then bring him back in in a couple of days on a long lead so you can control him a bit for intro's. I heard of a very quiet gelding who was great with the new foal across the fence but attacked it when they put him in the paddock. I'm going to keep Tilly and the foal alone until she's over being overprotective but sharing a fence then I'm going to take Spirit in on a long lead when I reintroduce and hang with them for a while until they look really relaxed then leave it on him and watch from outside the paddock for another while. I'm not worried about my other mare. Yup, a little paranoid but I'd rather overkill then a problem.

Thanks Taz! Yup, he's going out when she starts labor I think. The line is a great idea and I think i will be doing that too! He's a good boy, but taking no chances! He and Snickers are becoming fast friends and now groom each other, so that is good. Even if he was good with the foal, any human helpers might encounter a protective stallion. Overall, just a good idea to move him over until baby is very adept at moving and mama and other mares can protect as necessary. Snickers is being fickle. One minute she is all over me and the next she's pinning her ears back at me. I have a feeling (or maybe a hope!) that she foals this weekend. I told her that really Saturday anytime would be perfect, but Friday night is good too :) . She seems close. She's dropped a bit more today, still no bagging up to speak of, or at least no changes. She looks quite uncomfortable. Baby is moving suddenly and you can see it's painful as Snickers will stop moving and arch her back, then walk it out a bit and then go back to eating. I can't lift her tail much to look but from quick glimpses she looks pretty swollen. Hopefully she doesn't go into full labor tonight! I don't have cameras unfortunately and storms are rolling in and out of the area. It seems a lot of mares have braxton hicks contractions or periodic contractions like we do. At least it seems that way when they seem to start labor and then back to everyday life! Come on Tilley! Maybe they will both go this weekend. Tilley seems so much father along, but Snickers is probably keeping secrets. I just hope one of my other mares isn't keeping a secret of her own. She's always looked pregnant to me but previous owner says no. I check her when I check Snickers and no changes, except for some edema in front of udder. Oh my goodness, I hope she's just gained some weight! Good night everyone and good luck :) (I am so grateful for this site!)

Any babies over night? We drove past Squirt and I didn't see any foals but she didn't look super pregnant either.....maybe she's reversed too. :p I just want her to have her baby so we can get her once the foal is weaned!

It may have been thought that we were on the road a ways away and not up close.....

Thanks Taz! Yup, he's going out when she starts labor I think. The line is a great idea and I think i will be doing that too! He's a good boy, but taking no chances! He and Snickers are becoming fast friends and now groom each other, so that is good. Even if he was good with the foal, any human helpers might encounter a protective stallion. Overall, just a good idea to move him over until baby is very adept at moving and mama and other mares can protect as necessary. Snickers is being fickle. One minute she is all over me and the next she's pinning her ears back at me. I have a feeling (or maybe a hope!) that she foals this weekend. I told her that really Saturday anytime would be perfect, but Friday night is good too :) . She seems close. She's dropped a bit more today, still no bagging up to speak of, or at least no changes. She looks quite uncomfortable. Baby is moving suddenly and you can see it's painful as Snickers will stop moving and arch her back, then walk it out a bit and then go back to eating. I can't lift her tail much to look but from quick glimpses she looks pretty swollen. Hopefully she doesn't go into full labor tonight! I don't have cameras unfortunately and storms are rolling in and out of the area. It seems a lot of mares have braxton hicks contractions or periodic contractions like we do. At least it seems that way when they seem to start labor and then back to everyday life! Come on Tilley! Maybe they will both go this weekend. Tilley seems so much father along, but Snickers is probably keeping secrets. I just hope one of my other mares isn't keeping a secret of her own. She's always looked pregnant to me but previous owner says no. I check her when I check Snickers and no changes, except for some edema in front of udder. Oh my goodness, I hope she's just gained some weight! Good night everyone and good luck :) (I am so grateful for this site!)

I hate to tell you this but if she doesn't look like she's put on weight it's probably edema not fat...but I could be completely wrong ;). It sounds like Snickers is doing more than Tilly. Then again they're all doing more than Tilly, she's had no changes since last Wed. It's been 10 weeks now since she started an udder, whine!!!!!! Fingers crossed Snickers has a little one this weekend.

Any babies over night? We drove past Squirt and I didn't see any foals but she didn't look super pregnant either.....maybe she's reversed too. :p I just want her to have her baby so we can get her once the foal is weaned!
Are they going to get hold of you when she foals? Good luck on it being soon, you don't even have her yet and you're going through this with her, that doesn't seem fair..... You'll get her home soon 🙂

Aww. Taz is right. You don't even have her yet and are going through all this worry! She sure is a cutie! I don't know about Snickers. Always contrary, that girl! Both in attitude and having babies, I guess. Ah, but I love her so...I would love the waiting to be over this weekend but my camera hasn't arrived yet so it's going to be some hiking at least a couple of times each night out to the paddocks to check. If it wasn't literally freezing at night this weekend, I would just grab a sleeping bag and go out and sleep in the shed with them. (I wonder what the minis would think?! LOL) Of course last weekend it was in the 60's at night! Anyway, her udder is exactly the same. She looks only slightly pregnant now and it looks like baby is lined up and ready to go whenever he/she is ready. Now I just hope it's lined up correctly! Who knows how long it will take for baby to decide it's time? Ugh! I have some powdered colostrum and milk replacer just in case, but likely won't need it as she's not maiden, but lack of bagging up worries me a bit. Come on Tilley...your human is waiting 🙃

Lucky you having powdered colostrum! My mare two years ago didn't have any milk, barely had an udder, and I had to run to the vet for milk replacer and something to get her milk in(March baby and there was no colostrum collected yet). By the time I got back she had skimmed milk and Ollie had had is first feed at 3 hours old. Before I left I had gotten some colostrum from Izzy and syringed it into him and then some goats milk so he had something. BUT what I hadn't found out anywhere was that if you give them any other milk or milk repacer except mares milk they shut down the ability to absorb colostrum. If I have to do it again I'll be doing sugar water for the first day as I'm finding colostrum(hoping there's some to find this time of year, I have a repo vet nearby who tries to stock up. He was borderline when I had his blood test done the next day and was very sick when he was about a month old, antibiotic shots 2x/day and banamine for 2 weeks. :oops:

Ugh..Something else to worry about! I don't understand why any animal would not absorb colostrum after being given something else. I used to be a wildlife rehabber. We used goat's milk and colostrum for most animals if orphaned. It was in high demand in the spring, especially for deer, and while not ideal, it did wonders. (not goats milk found in stores. Cannot be processed and must be fresh or fresh frozen. Wish I still had my goat! She was maiden virgin who developed a very large udder and lots of milk. Kept many wildlife fed. Most wild animals do ok (their own mother's milk is always ideal) on goat milk. Cow's milk is very undigestable for most animals. I guess horses just want to be different! Any baby yet, Taz? Snickers is showing no signs of delivering still. Here is a pick I just took this morning.

Attachments

• 20200613_073309.jpg
    20200613_073309.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 2
Is she sunken in in front of her hip?
No baby.
I've been in touch wit Spirits(dad) breeder, that's where I got any info on these two. She had a mare due this weekend who didn't look as ready as Tilly(I sent her pics) 2 weeks ago. She had an adorable colt two days ago. 😩.
Our turn has to be soon.....

Are they going to get hold of you when she foals? Good luck on it being soon, you don't even have her yet and you're going through this with her, that doesn't seem fair..... You'll get her home soon 🙂
Aww. Taz is right. You don't even have her yet and are going through all this worry! She sure is a cutie!
Yes, they said they'd let us know and we could come over to see the baby. Yeah, Mom has said multiple times that she wished Squirt wasn't pregnant, then we could get her before Oct./Nov.......I do too! It seems so far away.... My uncle is building the barn for us and he got the corner post holes dug Friday. I'm super excited!!! 😁😁😁

Squirt is technically going to be Mom's mini and Squirt's breeders are going to look for a mini for me as she has the "behind the scenes" mini breeders. (If that makes sense. 😜 ) My dream mini would be an Appy/Pinto. We'll see what she can drum up for me. 😃

Squirt is technically going to be Mom's mini and Squirt's breeders are going to look for a mini for me as she has the "behind the scenes" mini breeders. (If that makes sense. 😜 ) My dream mini would be an Appy/Pinto. We'll see what she can drum up for me. 😃

You're going to find one that makes your heart melt, then you'll know it's the right one. I'm sure you'll be playing with Squirt a lot too ;) . You'll have them soon, it's so hard so wait though.

Is she sunken in in front of her hip?
No baby.
I've been in touch wit Spirits(dad) breeder, that's where I got any info on these two. She had a mare due this weekend who didn't look as ready as Tilly(I sent her pics) 2 weeks ago. She had an adorable colt two days ago. 😩.
Our turn has to be soon.....
She wasn't sunken in by the hip, but is this evening. What does that mean? Good or bad?

I've been thinking that for a bit now too, I don't think it's ever going to happen.
No. Tilly was super wide this morning. 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Latest posts

Back