Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just realized I do have a picture from pretty much that same angle, taken this Monday. Putting the two pictures side by side it does look as though a little something is starting to happen, even in the space of 2 days. So if Rosie and Tilly read the same book, we have about 12 weeks to go 😜C6C77A81-8FA0-47E1-82F8-1E4753F0CF62.jpeg

Nothing to report so I thought I'd give everyone something to laugh at me about. It's OK, you can :).
I might be doing this again next yearo_O. A bit of a long story but here goes. My old donkey got REALY lame about 6 weeks after I got Tilley. Shaking and sweating trying to stand when I went into the barn in the morning. I called my vet to come put her down, she's had constant problems with laminitis since before I got her but never like this. He talked me into putting her on drugs and waiting thinking it was a severe arthritis flare up. She's doing amazing now:D. Anyway, she was down a lot and it was cold and wet out so I had her, my other donkey and Izzy(my other mini mare) turned out in the arena since they are normally a turn out group together. Izzy wasn't happy not being able to keep an eye on Ollie through the day(weaned but never separated by more than a fence or half wall). I put her out by herself next to Ollie the next day, I'm waiting for him to be geldable before he goes near a mare. She was better but not happy so I put Tilly and Spirit on the other side of her too, they were supposed to go out together at some point might as well start getting to know each other. She still wasn't happy so I put her in with Tilly and Spirit after a few days. Spirit had been gelded 6 weeks earlier so I never thought twice about it. Izzy was in season but so, he's a gelding now. Well, he bred her at her request for 2 days, I expected that but he was throwing blanks so it didn't matter. Day 3 and 4 she would bat her eyes and call him over and he'd trot over talking to her ready to go but when he got there every time he sniffed her and lost all interest. I thought that was really weird so started doing some reading. I found a couple vets who said not 2-4 weeks like I was told but that you should keep an exstud out for 8 weeks. I waited 3 weeks for her to come back into season and she sort of did, she looked like she was coming in but Spirit wasn't very interested and she never got to standing heat and went out in 2 days. I could get some clear fluid from her teats just after the first heat but nothing since then. SO, I'm waiting to see. Apparently it's uncommon but possible for a mature breeding stallion to do the deed up to 8 weeks after gelding according to Penn state and from what I was told he's very good at his job, never failed. GAAAAA!!!!!!:eek:🤯 The good news is she's an experienced broodmare and LOVES being a mom.

Oh my god!!! Ok so how does this work with younger studs? The reason I ask is a week after I got Rosie, my father in law brought over a mini gelding to live at my place. He had been gelded a few days prior to being brought here, he was 3 years old. Would that mean he could possibly be Rosie’s baby daddy?!!

Oh no!! Yes he could be. The average colt is able to breed for 2 weeks after gelding, give it 4 weeks to be safe. Removing the testicles doesn't stop breeding, there are still sperm in ducts and tubes that are at different stages of development. I don't know how many tries they would get but as the saying goes, it only takes once.

Oh no!! Yes he could be. The average colt is able to breed for 2 weeks after gelding, give it 4 weeks to be safe. Removing the testicles doesn't stop breeding, there are still sperm in ducts and tubes that are at different stages of development. I don't know how many tries they would get but as the saying goes, it only takes once.
That’s the thing about not knowing how far along she actually is, she could have come here early in her pregnancy or Barney could be the culprit! I never saw him do anything but obviously I’m also not out there 24/7 so who knows.
On a side note, I’ve attached a picture where one of the things is not like the others! Little monkey broke through the wire fence to where she feels is her rightful place - with the horses the size she believes herself to be🤦‍♀️
4C976542-1F7D-4262-B62C-BEF94652B42E.jpeg

Last edited:
What a wonderful group. She's just giving you a big hint about where she wants to live, humans can be a little dense you know 😂 .

So week 12 today, no foal. BUT this morning....
Her udder is really big and looking like a proper udder, more elongated and her tail head isn't sticking out yet but I can feel it easily. Maybe she's getting serious finally? Foal in a week or two...or sooner please!!!!!!!!

What a wonderful group. She's just giving you a big hint about where she wants to live, humans can be a little dense you know 😂 .
Lol I think you might be right! She loves my “big girls” as we call them. And that’s exciting about Tilly! Come on little one, it’s time!

Nothing to report so I thought I'd give everyone something to laugh at me about. It's OK, you can :).
I might be doing this again next yearo_O. A bit of a long story but here goes. My old donkey got REALY lame about 6 weeks after I got Tilley. Shaking and sweating trying to stand when I went into the barn in the morning. I called my vet to come put her down, she's had constant problems with laminitis since before I got her but never like this. He talked me into putting her on drugs and waiting thinking it was a severe arthritis flare up. She's doing amazing now:D. Anyway, she was down a lot and it was cold and wet out so I had her, my other donkey and Izzy(my other mini mare) turned out in the arena since they are normally a turn out group together. Izzy wasn't happy not being able to keep an eye on Ollie through the day(weaned but never separated by more than a fence or half wall). I put her out by herself next to Ollie the next day, I'm waiting for him to be geldable before he goes near a mare. She was better but not happy so I put Tilly and Spirit on the other side of her too, they were supposed to go out together at some point might as well start getting to know each other. She still wasn't happy so I put her in with Tilly and Spirit after a few days. Spirit had been gelded 6 weeks earlier so I never thought twice about it. Izzy was in season but so, he's a gelding now. Well, he bred her at her request for 2 days, I expected that but he was throwing blanks so it didn't matter. Day 3 and 4 she would bat her eyes and call him over and he'd trot over talking to her ready to go but when he got there every time he sniffed her and lost all interest. I thought that was really weird so started doing some reading. I found a couple vets who said not 2-4 weeks like I was told but that you should keep an exstud out for 8 weeks. I waited 3 weeks for her to come back into season and she sort of did, she looked like she was coming in but Spirit wasn't very interested and she never got to standing heat and went out in 2 days. I could get some clear fluid from her teats just after the first heat but nothing since then. SO, I'm waiting to see. Apparently it's uncommon but possible for a mature breeding stallion to do the deed up to 8 weeks after gelding according to Penn state and from what I was told he's very good at his job, never failed. GAAAAA!!!!!!:eek:🤯 The good news is she's an experienced broodmare and LOVES being a mom.
Oh boy! (or girl!)...You get to do this all over again next summer! Then you can keep me company because I can't be sure my stallion didn't breed with anyone. I know that's my fault but he was being mistreated by larger male horse and goat so I put him in with the girls, at the time thinking at least 2, maybe even all three were already pregnant. For sure one is, one is a big question, and pretty sure the 25 yr old isn't, at least not from last summer! So guess who should be laughed at? Not you, that's for sure!

That’s the thing about not knowing how far along she actually is, she could have come here early in her pregnancy or Barney could be the culprit! I never saw him do anything but obviously I’m also not out there 24/7 so who knows.
On a side note, I’ve attached a picture where one of the things is not like the others! Little monkey broke through the wire fence to where she feels is her rightful place - with the horses the size she believes herself to be🤦‍♀️
View attachment 41644
Awww....

Oh boy! (or girl!)...You get to do this all over again next summer! Then you can keep me company because I can't be sure my stallion didn't breed with anyone. I know that's my fault but he was being mistreated by larger male horse and goat so I put him in with the girls, at the time thinking at least 2, maybe even all three were already pregnant. For sure one is, one is a big question, and pretty sure the 25 yr old isn't, at least not from last summer! So guess who should be laughed at? Not you, that's for sure!

It sounds like we are both going to wait and see :oops:. At least we'll have company😊 I'm not sure I wouldn't have done the same thing you did if I had been in your position. I'm on the fence about another baby next year. They are so much fun and Izzy is the happiest with a little one at her side. I don't enjoy foal watch,at all, but it's not the end of the world. The part that really bothers me is knowing that there's a risk to the mare and foal, it would be devastating if something went wrong for Izzy. Can't do anything about it now so I'll just wait, and wait, and wait..... I really like instant gratification 😆.

Well, Tilly is still being Tilly. Her udder is still 'good to go' but her elongation is gone and she's tightened up around her tail. If what I was told holds true, she has about 1 1/2 weeks to go. We'll see. 🤪
Mind you, I was also told she caught on her foal heat so that would have meant an April baby 🤣

Last edited:
The sound you're hearing is me banging my head against the wall. She's back to half an udder but I did catch her rolling this afternoon which she hasn't been doing at all in weeks. I'm pretty sure I'll be watching her sleep again tonight. 🤦‍♀️

Latest posts

Back