Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We hadn't been over there in like a month plus so yeah, probably. I wish we could go over more without being a nuisance. :(

I'll see if I can find pictures from when we went over the time before last.

Snickers is still the same! I am trying to not think about it or I'll go crazy. Right now I am a bit terrified that I will do something to screw it up so I quit asking her to tell me when! I just told her over the weekend would be best if she would like her human to be there, otherwise she will be on her own. Earlier I didn't think I would have to remove my little stallion from the group when she is ready to have the little one, but in the last couple of days he has started to stake his claim to certain things he didn't before (like the rolling treat ball). She looks increasingly uncomfortable and she looks a little more dropped than before. Udder is the same. So I think I still have a couple of weeks? If previous owner is correct though,that would put her at about one full year of pregnancy. So I guess my questions will be answered when it's the right time.

Oh no, you're boy is getting comfortable and wanting to be in charge, that doesn't make your life easier but I'm sure you'll sort it out and it'll be fine. Yup, I'm trying to relax and not stress or I'll be completely nuts, it doesn't change their timing. From the reading I've done they can go over a year without any problems. It has to do with a delayed development in the foal, when they are where they need to be they show up. Not bigger than they should be for being late, can actually be smaller. Tilly is looking less uncomfortable than a while ago, go figure? Come on Snickers, we want a weekend baby or at least when your mom gets home and comes out to play with you.

MerMaeve, more pictures would be great :)

Last time we went (other than this week) was on April 26th. I didn't get any super great side pictures of Squirt but here they are because everybody needs some cute mini pictures! In the first picture the horse in the back is the one that gave birth first. The last pic I have is the best side view shot.

Attachments

• IMG_7086.JPG
    IMG_7086.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7083.jpg
    IMG_7083.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7082.jpg
    IMG_7082.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7080.jpg
    IMG_7080.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7079.JPG
    IMG_7079.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7078.JPG
    IMG_7078.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7065.jpg
    IMG_7065.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 6
I thought Tilly might foal last night, but not. Gaaaa!
When I went to feed her at 7 she had been down and didn't want to eat, she never does that. Her gut sounds were normal so I thought she was starting labor and I went into the house to watch her. She spent 1 1/2 hours yawning, laying down and getting up, rolling, looking at her sides, standing quietly but not relaxed and had two contractions standing up where she humped her back and tucked her bum. Held her tail up the whole time. After getting my hopes up she shook and went over to eat and had a quiet night. She's out looking very relaxed this morning. Her vulva is flatter this morning but still not a big udder. Fingers crossed she's going to foal soon instead of do this for a few weeks.......

MerMaeve love the pictures! She looks like she's a snuggle bug.

Last edited:
I thought Tilly might foal last night, but not. Gaaaa!
When I went to feed her at 7 she had been down and didn't want to eat, she never does that. Her gut sounds were normal so I thought she was starting labor and I went into the house to watch her. She spent 1 1/2 hours yawning, laying down and getting up, rolling, looking at her sides, standing quietly but not relaxed and had two contractions standing up where she humped her back and tucked her bum. Held her tail up the whole time. After getting my hopes up she shook and went over to eat and had a quiet night. She's out looking very relaxed this morning. Her vulva is flatter this morning but still not a big udder. Fingers crossed she's going to foal soon instead of do this for a few weeks.......

MerMaeve love the pictures! She looks like she's a snuggle bug.

Jeez oh peets! :rolleyes: Have your baby already, Tilly!!

Thanks. :) From what time I've spent with her, she is!

I think Tilly will have hers before Snickers. I think she has changed her mind about having a baby after all! She barely looks pregnant tonight. Discouraging! I even checked the shed to see if she lost it. Nope. Had to look really close to see any movement.

I think Tilly will have hers before Snickers. I think she has changed her mind about having a baby after all! She barely looks pregnant tonight. Discouraging! I even checked the shed to see if she lost it. Nope. Had to look really close to see any movement.
I know that feeling... I exposed 4 mares last summer. Unfortunately, one mare lost her foal late term, too premature to survive (I got there not long after she foaled, but it was too late, foal was too early, as she was 298 days at most). Anyway, onto the next three: one mare has been making a bag for awhile, but otherwise not really showing signs, second mare next to no bag, and third mare doesn't look pregnant (but has a ways to go and a larger mare, so could hide it). I was looking at the second mare the other day, still not much bag, but lifted her tail for a check, very lax tail and her lady bits were very elongated, we had a rip roaring storm that night with power outage, woke up in the morning to a tiny filly (313 days gestation at the most). First mare, still working on a bag, but still doesn't look very ready otherwise, although, a little off her feed. They like to keep us on our toes.

I have a blind spot on the camera and it's where Tilly likes to lie down, of course. I check every morning first thing to see if she had it and I missed it and it didn't get out of the sack.
Snickers baby has been playing hide and seek with you all along hasn't he? Another one that's not following the rules :).
I've given up trying to figure out what's going on. All I know is Tilly's pregnant, in her last trimester, the baby's still moving so I assume alright and she can't be pregnant forever. I'm hoping for sooner than later for both of them. Nothing last night though.

If anyone has pictures of their foals in their baby fuzz and then shed out to their real colour could you please post them? I think Holly's trying to get some ideas how Sterling might look, most of the pictures on older posts aren't there anymore. I know, off topic here but it's what I can do this morning, not awake yet :D;)

Taz, any baby for you and Tilley? We had crazy storm last night with a slight break this morning. Supposed to pick up this afternoon again. I was sure that if Snickers was going to have hers it would be when I would have to dodge lightening bolts to get to the shed! She didn't though. She isn't showing any signs of delivery any time soon :( . Previous owner said she was bred last June, specific day unknown. So using a foaling calculator and giving Snickers the benefit of the doubt using June 30 2019 as her covered date, her last expected due date was yesterday! Baby has slowed down in movements, but my daughter was able to see and feel a few bumps yesterday evening. Daughter isn't terribly interested before, but is now! She received the same reception from Snickers that I did when we first met and wasn't happy about being touched at all. At least I know it wasn't just me. She has to get to know someone before things get personal I guess! So time will tell but I am getting anxious!

No foal for Tilly. Same thing though. The foal has been really active, her whole belly dancing and jumping, and now I can't see or feel much at all. Maybe they're both in position and can't move much anymore? 🤞. I was told Tilly was bred on her foal heat so that would have been around May 22nd. She's either going over a year or they got it wrong. It sounds like Snickers previous owner doesn't know either. We just have to hang in a little (I hope) longer. I really am starting to lose it though. Kristen's not having any better luck and Trixie's been giving her all kinds of signs that she's close. 🤷‍♀️🙀

Why does Snickers look "less pregnant"? She has never really been very wide like I see in some of the mare photos? One day she looks "dropped" but then she's back to looking only a little chubby, not pregnant. She is a larger mini at 36". Baby is still bumping and kicking so I know she is still pregnant. Previous owner insists she was covered June 2019, but not what day. Shouldn't she look bigger? Any advice out there? Frustrated here! Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200603_190346.jpg
    20200603_190346.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200602_185148.jpg
    20200602_185148.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200602_185122.jpg
    20200602_185122.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200602_180516.jpg
    20200602_180516.jpg