Advise please on older broodmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Taz, so excited! Please do keep us updated! Mary Ann at MiniV, I am not sure if she is homozygous. In fact all I really know is she is black and white and that she is grade and she is beautiful! Whatever she has (IF she ever has it!) will be beautiful too!

Reactions: Taz
Nothing yet. She had a VERY quiet night, not her normal routine. Looks about the same as yesterday.
I have no idea what's going to happen when. The info I tracked down on her said she would 'get an udder for 2 weeks before she foaled'. Whether that means a full ready to go udder for 2 weeks or develop an udder over 2 weeks I'm not sure. Nothing was said about anything I've been seeing :mad:. Anyone want to take a guess?????

Nothing yet. She had a VERY quiet night, not her normal routine. Looks about the same as yesterday.
I have no idea what's going to happen when. The info I tracked down on her said she would 'get an udder for 2 weeks before she foaled'. Whether that means a full ready to go udder for 2 weeks or develop an udder over 2 weeks I'm not sure. Nothing was said about anything I've been seeing :mad:. Anyone want to take a guess?????
My guess is that she wants the baby out as much as you do! Or she wants to teach you patience. LOL Good luck......

Not yet. Her udder is a little bigger each day and her vulva is more relaxed and open. Her bum is soft but not droopy around the base of her tail. She's still quiet and has decided to sleep in a different corner than she has before. She hasn't rolled in two weeks(was rolling a few times a day) and doesn't want to lie on her side. Teats are not filled and I can't get any milk. Does she look like she's getting close to anyone?
IMG_20200529_073308621.jpg IMG_20200529_073122366.jpg IMG_20200529_073109419.jpg It's been 8 weeks since she started an udder now, I'm thinking she's not going to look textbook when she foals? Waiting till the foal says she's ready now?

Last edited:
Oh Taz...hang in there! Her belly looks a lot my girl but yours is further along I think. At least yours has an udder going! And I thought I was frustrated when my own babies were born (each one exactly 7 days late). This seems to be even worse because we can't feel what the mamas feel (although I can certainly sympathize!) Hopefully her discomfort will be over soon (and your stress reduced!). I'm just afraid I won't be there for my girl's delivery.

Hanging in but going crazy, I think we all are.

I really think Snickers will foal at night. You'll have your cameras up and be watching her, or running out to check if you can't see her, who needs sleep? I've actually gotten good at waking up before my alarm every hour. I'm not going to say I'm not sleep deprived(really shouldn't be driving,haha) but I'm kinda used to it now. I agree with you though, I'm afraid I'm going to miss it. Had my surprise foal two years ago and said I was never doing it again then I fell in love with these two and here I am. I AM NOT ALLOWED TO LOOK AT ANY MORE RESCUE SITES!!!!! LMAO!!!

Dang, she looks dropped to me! I am no expert, but she LOOKS DROPPED! We had a hard time getting any milk out of Sally right up to the birth. My husband had better luck than I did. Are you seeing sloppy poops yet? Sally had that about two or three days before foaling. She also was very restless, but then got real quiet a few days before foaling as well.

Yep I reckon she’s definitely making good progress . She sure is keeping you waiting , but it’s so hard when you don’t know her history . When you are standing behind her , are her sides still sticking out ? . From that side on pic she does look like she is starting to drop .

Her sides are still sticking out but not as much as before.
She's back to being spicy tonight, trotted in next to me and was having a fit waiting for dinner. Don't know if that mean anything more than the foal is in a more comfortable position. No loose poop, no milk, was walking a lot one night but has been quiet since. If the foal starts bothering her she goes over to Spirit and he hangs his head over the partition till she relaxes and goes to sleep :)

Taz, I bet you are right! Who needs sleep? LOL. Although I might be pretty worthless at work if I am up and down all night checking on her! I keep asking her when she's going to have it, but no luck. She's not talking....LOL. I think her muscles are starting to relax a bit. I can't move her tail to see if she is lengthening as she just tightens right up and side steps on me, but it looked a little more relaxed back there from a few glipses I got. Not much of an udder though. Don't know anything about her pattern for foaling. Last owner got her with a yearling and a new baby at side. So she has had at least two before.My little stallion is sticking pretty close to her and she is actually allowing it, which is unusual for her. Otherwise not much difference. We'll see. She's not riding low today and that seems to change day by day. Baby sure is an active one!

Pitter Patter, does she like scratches? Can yo work back and scratch her next to her tail? Most of mine like that and will lift their tail, it might give you a way to check. If she can't clamp her tail down you know she's relaxed and closer.

LOL, nope. She isn't that cooperative! I'm just getting where I can lightly touch under her belly. Udder and tail end still a definite no-no. Ears too! She doesn't seem to particularly like touch but is tolerating it more and more. To my surprise she actually allowed me to put fly spray on her the other day. She reminds me of a cat who likes affection only on her terms!

Well pthth to her, she just wants to keep you out of the loop about the little one. This is crazy making enough with being able to check them all over, I don't know how you can stand it. :)

I think mine wants to make me crazy. Her udder this morning was 1/2 what it was yesterday. I was just looking back at the thread I had two years ago on my other mare. She started an udder in the same way as Tilly and foaled 9-10 weeks later without looking ready ( 2 weeks before the breed date I was given for her). Maybe it's something in the water.....

Last edited:
UGH darn mares, just have your babies already!!!! It's frustrating for me, so it must be worse for you two!

Latest posts

Back