Advice on feeding program for my two minis.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seattle

Reaction score
I'm really starting to second guess my feeding program for my two mini yearlings. I got them six months ago and they're my first minis. They don't show or anything -- all they really do is hang out in the pasture, play with the kids, and look cute
default_smile.png
As they're starting to lose their winter hair this spring, I'm noticing that they both have big bellies, but they don't have nice, even toplines and I can feel their ribs. They really lack muscle too (thin neck, not filled out in the rear), and the other day when it was raining and all their hair was plastered down, they did look underweight. I feel SO so horrible! I love these babies so much and I feel like I'm really failing them nutrition-wise. (They get dewormed every eight weeks, so I really doubt they have worms.) I'm pretty much convinced now that what I'm feeding them isn't sufficient. Here's what I feed:

Each mini gets a flake of grass hay in the morning, and a flake of grass hay at night. They're also on pasture for six hours during the day, but it's not a ton of luscious green grass...it's just a 40x80 patch of grass that they nibble on during the day...they've eaten it down pretty well already. They don't get any grain or mineral blocks, but I really think I need to change that. What are your feeding recommendations for these guys?? They're smaller - 30" or so...one might be under that still. SO, here are my questions.

1. What type of feed/grain do I feed them and how much?? I called the feed store and they carry Purina, but they don't have the Mini and Pony feed that I really wanted to get. They just have Strategy GX and the Equine JR. I could look into other brands as well, but I've heard really good things about Purina so far. What's the difference between Mini/Pony and Strategy GX? I'm really, really torn on what to give them for grain. I could wait a week to get the Mini/Pony feed in, or I could go ahead and get another kind of food.

2. Should I set out a mineral block or salt block for them? What kind?

3. Should I increase the amount of hay I feed? How many pounds should they get per day? I have to admit...this hay is not exceptional quality...not very rich or green. I'm wondering if I should be switching to new hay?

Whoever reads this novel is a saint, and I thank you SO SO much for any advice you guys can give me. These minis are SO special to me and I really want to see them be as healthy and happy as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your minis are still growing children. Since Purina is available to you give them the Equine Junior for at least the next year. Read the label on the back of the bag. It will recommend the amount of feed per weight of horse (you will want to guestimate the ideal weight of your kids. If you need help with that email me.) Gradually, over 10 days or so introduce them to the Jr, gradually bulding up to the amount you plan to feed them. After 30 days evaluate them again and decide if they are gaining weight, or have gained too much weight (unlikly in that short of time). The bellies will gradually go away as their condition and weight improve.

Adjust the amount you are feeding as the horses grow and as the seasons change to keep the body condition you want.

Keep your hay the same.

There are gillions of other feeds and supplements, but the simple way is often best. Equine Junior is a product balanced in vitamins and minerals and suited to the young digestive system.

One word of warning...if you start adding other 'stuff' and supplements you will throw off the balance of vitamins and minerals.

I have jsut posted a new article on my web site on the Helpful Articles page about feeding minis. It looks at the subject from a different perspective, because our overseas buyers can't get the same feed products we have over here. you might find this helpful.

Don't be upset with yourself. You see a problem and you are looking to fix it. Good for you!

Good luck with your 'fur kids'.

Charlotte

p.s. check with your vet or university teaching hospital for deworming recommendations for your area. Unless your minis are in a very crowded situation they shouldn't need deworming that much. You can ask your vet to do a fecal egg count and that will tell you when they need to be dewormed again.

Our weanlings/yearlings (from the time they are weaned until summer of their yearling year) get free choice hay and approx. 2 cups of 16% complete feed morning and night. They also have access to salt and a loose mineral.

I'm not familiar with the Purina products, but I would think the Equine Jr would be a good place to start. They're growing babies, and they still need quite a lot of nutrition.

Good for you for noticing they weren't getting enough, I hope they start looking better soon!

For my horses, I found that lack of protein was key to that "big belly" look. It isn't the case with all horses with big bellies though. Once I increased their protein intake, the bellies went away.

I have 4 2 yr olds ranging in size from 29" to 35". They along with our 3 yr old are on Strategy GX. Two of our 2 yr olds were on Omolene 300 until they were 12 months old once they came to us as weanlings. I fed them based on a miniature feeding guide that my miniature rep sent to me. This past winter they got an alfalfa mix hay, pretty much free fed. Now they get several hours of pasture grass (not super lush but not sparse either) a day with a couple of flakes of hay to keep something in front of them to graze on when they're not on the pasture. All but our hard keeper have beautiful top lines. The three year old is our "air breather" and could stand to lose a few pounds. I've been putting a grazing muzzle on her and the one two year old that we're showing in some local club shows. I plan to get more muzzles for the other three as well.

yes I think your minis are lacking but charlotte has given you some good advice , one thing you can do staight away is to increase the hay , good hay should have usable protein in it

perhaps if brand names differ we should talk in % protein , I feed my yearlings on 14% ( I know some feed higher) they are at grass all day and have ad-lib hay when they come in at night ,and there is a salt/mineral lick they have access to

Either equine junior or strategy would be sufficient, but I would recommend the equine junior. It is a complete feed so make sure they get the amount they are supposed to otherwise it won't give them everything they need. I feed my younguns free choice alfalfa/grass hay along with free choice pasture and then they get omelene 300 and we have no pot bellies, no hip bones or ribs showing, they are well muscled and filled out, but are not overweight either. It took me years to figure out a feeding program that works best so don't be too hard on yourself!

Equine Jr is what I would give them. And a free choice white salt and a mineral block.

I don't like straight grass hay for babies. I've bought weanlings that had been on grass hay and they looked awful when I got them. After slowly switching them over to an alfalfa/grass mix hay and giving them an increasing amount of Equine Junior, they began to look 100% better. Our weanlings and yearlings get Equine Junior, quite a lot of it, and they are well-muscled, with no bellies.

I think for your situation you could start them on Equine Junior (give them a small amount and gradually work up to the amounts recommended) and then you may not need to replace your hay, it will just be the added fiber that they need, along with the little bit of pasture. I also commend you for asking for advice-- you see a problem and you want to fix it and aren't too proud to ask for help. That's awesome! Maybe you should take some pics of your minis now, then take more every few weeks or so, so that you can see the difference you're making. Good luck!

Thank you guys so much! I'm getting a lot of great advice already. I called the feed store to order feed...it'll take a week or so to get it in, so I won't be able to start that right away. However, i can go get mineral and salt blocks. Would you guys recommend both salt and mineral? Do I have to slowly introduce them to these blocks, or can I just stick both in the pasture and just let them eat at it right away 24/7?

Hi Seattle --

I am not sure if you actually live in the Seattle area - but I live just 30 miles east of Seattle out in Duvall. If you would like to give me a call I can point you in the best direction for feed/vet/farrier, etc that seem to work well for miniatures. I have been breeding minis for about 30 years.

Stacy

(206) 979-0505 is my cell - usually available after 4 pm

I actually don't live near Seattle...I admit my username is quite misleading in that way. Thanks so much though!!!

Hi Seattle --

I am not sure if you actually live in the Seattle area - but I live just 30 miles east of Seattle out in Duvall. If you would like to give me a call I can point you in the best direction for feed/vet/farrier, etc that seem to work well for miniatures. I have been breeding minis for about 30 years.

Stacy

(206) 979-0505 is my cell - usually available after 4 pm

I've only skimmed the other replies but I agree with the general gist of the advice so far- 1) Good for you for noticing and wanting to fix it! 2) Yes, increase their hay. And 3) definitely start adding some more protein to their diets using either some alfalfa mix hay or a complete feed like Equine Jr. My Kody was on an alfalfa mix hay when I got him as a four year old and after switching him to straight grass his topline started looking more and more hollow, something I'd never had a problem with when feeding my Arabs the same thing. I added a little bit of complete feed to his diet and his topline filled right in and stayed that way. He's been out of work since he got an injury in early '09 and is now FAT, but I don't want to cut his grain completely as I know if I do he'll lose weight in all the wrong places.

I've followed the advice of several friends who always have GREAT looking yearlings and given my growing boys almost free-choice hay, lots of beet pulp for roughage and a suitable complete feed fed to the recommended amounts on the bag and both colts have kept their tummies nicely tucked up and their toplines nicely filled in off feed alone.

Leia

I think alfalfa is an important nutrient source of calcium and protein. Protein builds muscle. Free choice hay, for sure. All they want.

Do a fecal count with the vet before you worm any more. Parasite preparations are toxic. There is a balance between keeping parasites in check and destroying the natural gut critters.

BTW, you will get as many feeding instructions as you get replies to your post! Don't be discouraged. Just keep trying things until you figure out what is available in your area and what works for you.

Latest posts

Back