Advice for training to drive

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always give 1/3 cup of grain as a reward after training or driving. It's not enough to bother them but they sure line up when they see me coming with a halter! I also use it as a training aid after the drive while I'm unharnessing them. If they stand still well the treat comes quicker if they dance around in anticipation then they are made to wait in the stall for their treat. It doesn't take long to learn.
The biggest risk with always giving a reward after work is that the horse may learn to anticipate being done and learn to quit on the handler (try to choose to be done rather than wait to be told they are) It is much the same as a horse who becomes barn sour and hurries back to the barn (or in really bad cases fights leaving) because they know that they will be turned out and left to do whatever horsey thing they choose. Not every horse does it, not every handler misses early warning signs but it is something to keep in mind IMO.

Latest posts

Back