ADT next door to me!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbrown

Reaction score
I just found out that there will be an ADT 1 town over from where I board (well, will be boarding- I am moving there in a few weeks). It's an "ADT Fun Day," where the judge (Andy Marcoux) is going to critique your dressage test, and then you get to drive the test again and get a new score (you can also do cones and obstacles for fun for a few extra $$). It's right next door, and I feel like I really need to take advantage of such a great opportunity... but I don't think I'm ready (of course I can always go and watch, and certainly will do so if I don't take Skip). For one, my harness metals don't match, and there are mixed metals on my cart as well. Also, I'm driving with open cheeks because the blinder pieces are starting to separate from the cheek pieces, and I'm not sure if it's okay to use an open bridle for ADT (anyone know??). Finally, my cart is a lovely GREEN road cart. Very green. With an extremely colorful seat cushion (I'm attempting to add a picture.. hope it works). I have been dying to repaint it something darker/classier, but I know I won't have the time before the ADT. And of course... I don't know what to wear!! I have a nice jacket I think will be suitable, and an apron, but not sure what color theme to go with... green?! Or will I look ridiculous with my green cart and a green shirt?

Anyway, I've already worked myself up over this thing I haven't even registered for yet!! I could just have Andy out for a private lesson (current barn is next door to his), so maybe I should just go that route and not have to worry about matching metals or my green cart, LOL (I would love to do lessons and go to the ADT, but I can't afford to do both, sadly). Plus both of my minis will be working under a very well-respected carriage driver here in MA all summer (they're being used for driving lessons) and I imagine I could get affordable lessons from him. Another thing in the back of my mind is that I may want to lease out Skip at the end of the summer, depending on how my job search goes, and I am thinking that having the extra show experience would be helpful. Anyway, I could really use some decision-making advice/encouragement!!
default_please.gif

This is (hopefully) the cart- it is more green in real life

skip for portrait on black paper.jpg

rbrown said:
It's an "ADT Fun Day," where the judge (Andy Marcoux) is going to critique your dressage test, and then you get to drive the test again and get a new score (you can also do cones and obstacles for fun for a few extra $$). It's right next door, and I feel like I really need to take advantage of such a great opportunity... but I don't think I'm ready (of course I can always go and watch, and certainly will do so if I don't take Skip). For one, my harness metals don't match, and there are mixed metals on my cart as well. Also, I'm driving with open cheeks because the blinder pieces are starting to separate from the cheek pieces, and I'm not sure if it's okay to use an open bridle for ADT (anyone know??). Finally, my cart is a lovely GREEN road cart. Very green. With an extremely colorful seat cushion (I'm attempting to add a picture.. hope it works). I have been dying to repaint it something darker/classier, but I know I won't have the time before the ADT. And of course... I don't know what to wear!! I have a nice jacket I think will be suitable, and an apron, but not sure what color theme to go with... green?! Or will I look ridiculous with my green cart and a green shirt?
Anyway, I've already worked myself up over this thing I haven't even registered for yet!! ... Anyway, I could really use some decision-making advice/encouragement!!
default_please.gif
Oh m'goodness, dearheart. You are worrying WAY too much!
default_biggrin.png
An ADT is an arena driving trial- those are the most relaxed, most laid-back, least fancy events on the entire ADS repetoire and this is even a step below that as far as formality. You won't need to wear a jacket or fancy hat to this, in fact I think you'd be considered "dressed up" in a polo shirt and clean jeans. Your cart is not only fine, it's gorgeous! I was eyeing it on the forum gallery the other day with great lust. Green carts might be a little bright for the mini breed ring but they are AWESOME by ADS standards and it looks great with your horse. The only thing you need to do is have that seat reupholstered (you weren't kidding about it being colorful!) and you could do that temporarily with a slip cover of some kind.

Open bridles are allowed even at the highest levels of ADS so no problems there.

Mixed metals are a Presentation no-no but hardly a big deal especially at a Fun Day. I had mixed metals at the full driving trial at Happ's last fall! Nobody cared...we were all wearing yellow plastic ponchos anyway.
default_laugh.png

Andy is a friendly, enjoyable teacher and very approachable. I'd pack up your horse, cart and harness and head over there without a second thought. What a great opportunity!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Whew, I am feeling better now. I'll sign up
default_smile.png
And the best part- I just realized that April Vacation for the schools (and me, yay for student teaching!) is the week before, so we'll have plenty of time to practice before the event. Now to figure out what to do with that seat!

I have worked with Andy in the "big horse" world. It is def worth taking a few lessons with him if you can. As others have said open bridles are acceptable by ADS rules and ADT's are usually very casual. Cakis or black pants and polo shirt should be fine. Its all about learning, and your cart looks like its safe and fits your mini very well.... that's the important part. Have Fun!
default_smile.png

I have worked with Andy in the "big horse" world. It is def worth taking a few lessons with him if you can. As others have said open bridles are acceptable by ADS rules and ADT's are usually very casual. Cakis or black pants and polo shirt should be fine. Its all about learning, and your cart looks like its safe and fits your mini very well.... that's the important part. Have Fun!
default_smile.png
Thank you! If I have any money left in my horse account after this week's vet and dentist bills, I want to schedule a lesson with him. I saw him at Equine Affaire and he is really funny, and of course very knowledgeable, so I am sure I would get a lot out of lessons. And if I can't swing it this spring, I'll be moving back in the fall and will hopefully have a job so I can afford lessons
default_smile.png

I love the green cart!

Hope you have a great time at the ADT
default_smile.png

I had the opportunity to view a clinic by Andy last summer. Most of what he covered with those drivers was SO FAR over my head it wasn't funny - way beyond the point my ponies and I are at in driving. BUT I did bring learning home that I've applied and it's a major improvement. It's amazing how much there is to learn. He was funny and easy to listen to - which is why even tho the clinic itself was advanced, I was able to learm. And that was just from watchign people I didn't know. Sadly, I didn't get to actually speak to him myself.

I say go for it and have a blast!! I'm kinda jealous!!!!

Love your green cart. Reupholster your seat later...

Thanks for the cart compliments! I must admit that the color looks nice with Skip's color
default_smile.png

I watched Andy give a pretty basic clinic on harness fit, and was lucky enough to talk to him after the demo (which, even thought it was pretty basic, still gave me tons of insight on how your horse's conformation plays into harness fit- especially breastcollars!). He was very nice and helpful. I will make sure to get pictures and post what I learned! I'm getting so excited.

Back