Addition to Whitneys "what color" thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginia

Reaction score
Good morning all -- asking for your patience here, Whitney walked me thru the use of Photobucket when she was here over the weekend, but this is my first "solo flight", and first try posting pic's on Forum, so it's anybody's guess what will transpire. I took a few more photos this morning, and this one (if it indeed comes up) shows BOTH of my fillies, and I don't know what color either one of them are. As Whitney posted, the "red" one is out of a bright sorrel mare that doesn't exhibit any silver influence, and the tan/grey/grulla/buckskin/dun whatever the heck filly is out of the mare who's head is showing, she's registered in "R" as grey roan and in "A" as brown roan, and I don't feel she's either of the above, she appears to be brown sabino. Anyway, I'd sure like to settle on at least a strong inclination toward a specific color for both of these babies before I send in their registration applications. Both are by Moon Man on my website.
TaylorandTinkum.jpg

I was thinking and saying silver dapple before but now that Ashley said liver chestnut, and I'm looking harder, I think Ashley is correct and the filly is liver chestnut
default_smile.png

Your filly is defintelly liver chestnut. My gelding Red looked exactly like that as a baby.

redlays.jpg

Here is what he looks like now

56809RedObstacle1-208x156.jpg

When they grow there winter hair it does come back looking chestnut but just a little darker looking than a regular chestnut.

Black and Chestnut- may or may not be Liver- they do go that dark and then come back bright red!!
default_smile.png

Great Job posting you even got them bigger than I did!

Edited to add: Ginia I really looked at Sally close and I wonder if she's liver. Have you ever shaved her to see what color she is?

It looks like they are finally buddying up..............

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Whitney -- yeah, she looks a "little" liver in the summertime, but still what I'd just classify as "sorrel", with some darkening around her muzzle and eyes. Hmmm -- been in this "mini thing" since '95, and still can't quite figure out the color genetics, but this is the first year I've had TWO that I can't decide how to register color-wise.
default_wacko.png
:

Latest posts

Back