lost two pregnancies this week. what to do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amysue

Reaction score
So this past Saturday, my BEST broodmare slipped a foal. She was exactly five months bred to the day. She showed no signs of distress or of not being bred/heat so we assumed all was well with her that morning before turnout. I fed her then came back to get her and she was on the ground, contracting in full labour. I had the vet out to see her, no fever or infection and so far no viral or bacterial causes have been found. Vet says its more common in minis and not to fret. So today I put my Shetland mare and her filly out, went to go get their hay, turn around and pokey is flat out in contractions (with her filly "helping") driving her nuts at her side. She slipped a fetus too, right at about five months old. I sent him out for a necropsy and blood was drawn but otherwise she seems to be recovering fine. I am at a total loss here as to why this happened (I can see one being just a fact of life but two within 6days) and I do not know what to do. I keep my horses healthy and fit, their vaccination and deworming is current and both mares have been bred to these stallions with no issues resulting in successful foaling. I have waiting lists for foals and hate to lose a whole year. However im not willing to jeapordize my mares' well being either (yes I know breeding has risks... and i know the current state of the market but i have clients waiting for foals who have already put deposits down...so im really not in a good place for a lecture at the moment). My vet says its ok to breed them back this fall and just have late summer foals. I honestly dont know where to go from here. Anyone have any experience in this department willing to offer any advice? Is it wise to breed them back soon after slipping a foal? I am in a time crunch with fall approaching...do I wait and breed them in the spring? Im torn on what to do here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this happen years ago. You are in one of the lowest states for Selenium in the country, as are we here in Florida.

One year, I lost 8 fetuses during pregnancy, and only had two foals deliver. They were showing signs of weakness, and the vet came and gave them a shot to get them up and going, and told me I needed to STRONGLY supplement my pregnant mares with Selenium.

Most mare/foal feeds -- indeed most horse feeds -- only have 0.6 ppm of Selenium.

I started using a Purina supplement called "Free Balance 12/12" which has 35.0 ppm of Selenium, and never had another "slipped" foal.

Just an idea. I swear by the supplement, and the good results it gave me. Best of luck, and hope to be seeing some babies from you next year!

~~Diane at Castle Rock

I'm so sorry.... At this point it's probably all guess work. A Necropsy often comes back as "inconclusive".

The things that come to mind is -- is there fescue in your pasture, if you have pasture? And secondly, there may be

some infection in the uterus? Since you stated being UTD with vaccinations, I am ruling out Rhino....and that tends

to hit between the 7th to 9th month of gestation. Although, pay attention to when you give a Pneumabort shot versus

when an abortion happens. We used to use a certain brand and had abortions happen within a day or two after.

Sometimes an infection is effecting only a section of the uterus and doesn't affect the fetus until the fetus reaches

a certain size. For that, a uterus flushing with antibiotics is helpful. It's actually a very simple procedure when done

while the mare is in heat....I've done dozens myself and some vets are willing to teach breeders to do it, while

providing all that's needed, of course.

And regarding a possible infection, don't forget your stallion. Give him a washing with a mild antibacterial soap and

water, with a follow-up rinse...
default_smile.png
Warm water, of course.

Finally, if it were up to me, I'd go through all the possibilities and then wait for next Spring to breed again, but

that's just me....giving the mares a break.

Not a vet so please clear with your vet but if they were mine I would do a uterine infusion with antibiotic and put any other pregnant mares you may have on SMZs for 10 days. Could be an infection passed by your stallion from mare to mare, could also be weather stress...5 months is in my experience, the most common timing of aborts.....hoping lab results give you an answer!

Thank you everyone for your kind words and suggestions. I too have had problems with pneumonabort so I use prodigy. I thoroughly cleanse everyone before and after breeding to prevent infection. Im really thinking Diane is on to something with the selenium deficiency. I noticed the other day that pokey's tail is all breaking off, shes not rubbing it nor is her filly, windy eating it. I think I read somewhere that lacking selenium can lead to hair breakage and loss. I am sending hair samples to uconn today for mineral testing and im heading out to buy some 12:12 supplement. Im very grateful for the foals that I got this season and I do not want to push my mares too far, so im leaning towards giving them a break.

amysue I am so sorry for your losses I know you are heartbroken. It is so hard to deal with losing the foals when you plan and wait and then get the rug pulled out from under you. I hope the good information you have received here will help. Please let us know the outcome of your testing.

I do not breed, but have read a little about selenium. My area has plenty occurring naturally, so I try to buy supplements that do NOT have selenium. Many supplements offer with/without options. I think the Extension office has a map that shows states/regions that are deficient.

So sorry to hear about your foals. What a heartbreak. And the buyers who were waiting will be so disappointed also.

Here's the map we have on the Mare/Foal Forum

/monthly_02_2013/post-8000-0-52677700-1360928904_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• Selenium Map.jpg
    Selenium Map.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 0
I just wanted to say, I'm very sorry for your losses. I know how heart breaking it is.
default_sad.png

Back