Adding fat/oil to diet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My horses are both in good winter weight. But they have dandruff and I am wondering if that is a sign they are not getting enough fat in their diets.

What exactly IS horse dandruff? Is it dry skin or is it a symptom of something else?

The only oil/fat they get is 1/4 C BOSS every day. Should I consider top dressing their feed with oil? If so, what kind?

Their hooves are good.

I just noticed this dandruff stuff in the last 6 months. We have been very dry here, so do not know if that is a factor. It is most noticeable when clipping the bridle path. One is 16 and one is 20.

I haven't found dandruff to be always due to a lack of fat... In some cases other dietary deficiencies such as vitamin or mineral can be at fault. In one barn, we took our dandruffy horses and did a six month test on different supplements... The winner was a product called Equi-Pride and I don't think it's got any fat.

I haven't found dandruff to be always due to a lack of fat... In some cases other dietary deficiencies such as vitamin or mineral can be at fault. In one barn, we took our dandruffy horses and did a six month test on different supplements... The winner was a product called Equi-Pride and I don't think it's got any fat.
Thanks for replying.

They have been on the same supplement for a long time. Perhaps its formula has changed? I will ask.

I usually use the hooves to determine their diet. I will ask the farrier on Wednesday at their appt if he notices any changes.

I agree with the above post. Dry weather will contribute to dry skin. It is more likely to be a lack of ammino acids and vitamin e which is necessary for the body to utilize the protein from the acids. When faced with the same situation I fed fresh ground flax seed and rice bran to the ponies. It vastly improved the skin and coat.

Most of my minis get two table spoons of fresh ground flaxseed in their evening ration. I prefer to buy it whole and grind it in a little coffee grinder as it stays fresher longer that way. My vet does recommend providing an iodized salt lick when regularly feeding flax. Also, for skin and coat supplementation, feeding flax ground is more beneficial than whole. Whole flaxseed is great for sand purge btw.

I too feed ground flax seed.I feed it all year long.It is good for digestive health in both the horses and humans.I have a bur coffee grounder I got at walmart to grind it..I also add table salt to their beet pulp..

Just remember that horses cannot digest a high amount of fat because they do not have a gallbladder. I would recommend trying SmartShine by SmartPak. It has lots omega and fatty acids. It is about $13 a month and it is guaranteed to work.

16317_Overlay_New.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My fav is Farnum super 14. Its been around for a long time and will really do a lot of the skin and hair coat. I swear by it.

Latest posts

Back