acceptable show carts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmkrieg

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been looking at show carts. I am planning on showing in driving in 2008 but I need advice on something that is affordable but is acceptable to show in. I don't want something that I am going to stand out in, that makes me look like I don't have the right equipment or that I am an ematuer, which I am. but I don't want to look like I am. Any suggestions on what I should get? or do you suggest i just hang tight and wait for either a used more expensive one (when I say that I mean $1000-1200) or one that someone is selling.

You can check the sale board for used show carts, or through Prime Design you can buy a brand new Graber show cart with roadster stirrups, quilted covers, AND shipping included for $1350. That's a pretty good price for all of that!

Leia

It just depends on your area..at some shows you will get laughed out of the ring with anything other than a Jerald but usually a decent knock off if plenty fine and even sometimes easy entries are ok. Basicaly as long as you're not sticking out like a sore thumb you'll be ok. I say wait for a decently priced used Jerald..they really are worth the extra money.

No one is going to laugh at you or look down on you if you use a Garber. I have a Houghton, which was / is as expensive and as nice as a Jerald. If I were getting a second show cart, I would seriously consider a Garber. They look fine and sure are a lot less expensive to purchase. Plus, a few thousand is A LOT to spend on a show cart if you haven't even driven at a show yet -- not saying you haven't, but you might not have and to me, it's not nearly as fun as driving in the field for fun :bgrin

Well I can tell you I waited years for me to have enough extra to buy a show cart (Jerald) but with horses extra usually doesnt happen there were vet bills, that horse I had to have ect...

So then how silly I have the driving horse and no cart so I got a EE wood floor cart for 385.00 from Ebay including shipping- now can I show in it at Nationals of course not but heck I can always borrow one there for a few classes but this way I can get out there and start FINALLY. Locally here I have seen people in EE carts place and do rather well but for me it gives me a chance to get out there and practice ( I need it my horse well she knows way more then I do)

If you want a still-fairly modestly-priced SHOW cart, you probably should consider Graber first.I believe that Graber makes a 'regular' size and a 'smaller' size, where all dimensions are smaller--even the seat, and shaft length--you can find out by talking with the folks at Graber(they do not have a website, but an address and phone no. for them can be easily found if you search); Kateland Farm is a dealer of their vehicles, too, I think.

If you are going to show in Country, or the 'new' Western Pleasure' driving, you could be just fine with one of the several wooden wheeled EE or road cart type carts being offered by several different makers, IMO. Pequea Carriage, Country Carriage(their carts are built by brothers named Stoltzfus), Silver Penny, are three that come to mind. Many of the Amish builders don't have websites, but diligent searching will likely turn up someone who owns one, and can share information on where/how they got them.By and large, these carts are about comparable with the Grabers in price, and in some cases, probably less(they come in various styles; some more expensive than others.) I have read that Diamond D/Double Diamond(?) is also now building a cart 'similar'(?) to the Jerald, but I don't know anything about them? I should add that you need to be careful about 'unknown' makers; I know someone who bought a Jerald knockoff through one of the east coast mini tack companies, and it is a disaster--unbalanced, poor finish, and worst of all, the axle SAGGED with the weight of the driver(a male, but not one of extreme size/weight)!!

The above-described kinds of carts WILL be heavier in weight than a Jerald or Graber, but not extremely so.(For instance, my Pequea road cart, the top-of-the-line model w/cloth upholstery and a spares box, weighs only about 110 lbs., whereas the Jeralds, as I recall, are around 90-95 lbs.) I PERSONALLY believe that the day is coming when carts like the Pacific Smart Cart, the Bellcrown Mini-Crown, and the Bennington Minicart will be accepted(for Country pleasure), even in the breed show ring....these are carts that can be fully utilized both in AND out of the show ring, and with the advances that are now being made in reducing weight while creating a vehicle that is sturdy, handsome, and manueuverable, I feel that time is steadily approaching!! JMHO....

Margo

Lisa's reply about a wooden EE reminded me. I have what I think is a gorgeous wooden easy entry cart from Mini Express. It has patent wrapped shafts and is a very pretty cart that I'd have no shame using at registry shows (excluding National level). It was $500, I think. One great thing about it is that it's pretty enough to show in, but rugged enough to play in. I wouldn'd dream of taking my Houghton out in the field for fear of messing it up, but this wooden one can do it no problem.

I have a graber open wheeled cart with oak stained shafts and 24" wheels. I get compliments all the time at shows (both AMHR and ADS). It is a great cart, fits my horse to a tee and the manufacturer couldn't have been nicer on the phone! They have wooden wheels that I want to get for it so I have pneumatic, steel, and wooden sets for whatever I do, LOL as you can see changing wheels on it is a breeze too.

Courtney

Latest posts

Back