? about CDE requirements

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sams

Reaction score
just wondering if anybody involved in CDE know the rules pertaining to cart and harness requirements. also do minis in CDE need to be registered or just any mini under 39 inches? is there a rule book on this somewhere and where would i find it?

thanx

In competition a "VSE" (Very Small Equine) is any equine under 99cm at the withers, including donkeys and mules. No registration is required.

I'm not sure what specific information you're looking for as far as carts and harnesses, but the most basic requirement is that the cart be safe and the harness must have breeching. Sidechecks are allowed but discouraged at training level and overchecks and martingales are both illegal. Once you get above Training level, no checks at all are allowed and you must have steel or wooden wheels on your cart. (Pneumatics and wire spokes are not allowed for safety reasons.) The American Driving Society has the rulebook for CDE's but you must be a member to access it. Try looking at www.minihorsecde.com for more introductory information.
default_smile.png

Leia

Actually, rule 918 section 1.3 states if the vehicle does not have brakes then breeching is required as a part of the harness. Most people continue to use breeching for the marathon even if they have brakes on the vehicle.

I have seen many different types of vehicles used in CDE. If you currently own some type of cart that is safe then it probably ok to use at an event at least at training level. I used the same harness I had for the show ring my first two events. Just make sure it fits the horse correctly. I was able to add the breeching at very little cost. ( None of my carts had brakes)

I hope you do find a venue to become involved in the world of combined driving. It is best if you could find someone that has been competing for awhile to mentor you. You may want to support the organization that provides the officials and rules for the events.

Ron

Latest posts

Back