A "What Do You Do With Them?" topic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to share my photos.

These are pygmy goats..

this was Sabrina with her triplets.

Sold them all a few years ago.

Than this fall got the black one back and she is pregnant.

The black one is Angelina, due this spring.

She is much smaller than her mom was...

98c87268.jpg

Angelina back home...

Winterherdb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm loving all the pics and stories! Keep 'em coming!

And Matt, I know, I know. But for some reason I've never really had the "itch" to have goats even though I've generally always wanted any animal I ever saw!
default_wacko.png
default_biggrin.png
But all these cut pics sure makes it difficult not to want one...or two...or three.

Jules, I'm so sorry you lost the babies. I was hoping the boys would do ok after you lost the little girl.
default_no.gif
I hope the mommy goat pulls through. I guess there's heartache in breeding all animals.

How big (how tall, weight) are the "dwarf" goats at maturity? I'm not sure if I've ever seen one in person. Probably have, just don't know one breed from another. And why do several people say they don't like boer (sp?) goats?

I have Boer/brush Goats. My grandaddy has had them since I was little. I have always had one or two, but in the last year or so my grandaddy has gotten older (82 soon to be 83) and now out of 14 I own 11 he owns 3. I raise them to sale for my horses. That is one of my two incomes right now.

But here are some babies!

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Here she is now.

hope034.jpg

More goats

bobo125.jpg

You can go to my website to see more.
default_smile.png
I didn't know the Boer goats had floppy ears, I've only seen Nubians with the floppy ears and just love those floppy ears. How big are Boer goats?

They are so cute, thanks for sharing the pics.

Boers originally came from South Africa and were developed from the Nubian. The breed was developed to be a hardy, heat tolerant, fast growing, high milk production ( for faster baby growth) meat goat. Many Boer breeders use Nubians as suragate mothers for embryo transplants.

I didn't know the Boer goats had floppy ears, I've only seen Nubians with the floppy ears and just love those floppy ears. How big are Boer goats?

Boers originally came from South Africa and were developed from the Nubian. The breed was developed to be a hardy, heat tolerant, fast growing, high milk production ( for faster baby growth) meat goat. Many Boer breeders use Nubians as suragate mothers for embryo transplants.
Cool. Thanks for the information. I just love those floppy ears, and now I know another breed that has them.

default_laugh.png
I really don't know. I would say 27-28 and shorter.
default_smile.png

Matt, if you were laying in the grass, they would hop on you in play!
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
I've, often, though of getting a couple. But I have just heard too many tales of destruction and them getting into everything...
default_rolleyes.gif

Well if you've never had goat chops or deep pit cooked, you dont know what you are missing. My neighbors raise Boer goats and they are delicious on the grill. Make excellent tamales too... etc... Boers are bred for more meat but their milks is very rich and it seems they make great milk goats too!

One of my first pets was a weather goat. He would not stay in his pen and ate our neighbors roses. Oops!
default_unsure.png
Then when we lived in Oregon my parents had a friend that had goats for meat. He had to thin his herd and gave us some goat meat. It tastes like venison only it doesn't have as much of a game taste. Then when I was about 13 and lived in California my dad took me to the livestock auction. He let me buy bummer lambs and a few goats. I would buy them cheap at auction and fix them up and sell them for quit a bit as pets. I also had milk goats and didn't know I bought a "fainter". I went to visit my sister one summer and Dad was supposed to milk the goats. He tied Grace up to milk her and she went stiff. He thought he killed her. I came home to no goats. Our last little girl was a dwarf Pygmy. Our neighbors, (for which I have a few names for them that I can't say here) poisoned my sweet Baby Goat (her name). They also poisoned our dog that didn't even bark at them. We haven't gotten a goat since. Here is a picture of Baby Goat. She thought she ruled the roost.

Picture004-1.jpg

I love our goats! I mentioned in the other thread that we have Nigerian Dwarfs as well- They are by far the most fun to be had at the farm!

I can't wait till the month gets a little more advanced, as I have 3 does due, all first freshners.

As far as what do you do with them- smooches would be one thing that happens quite a bit here!

photo.jpg

You can see the rest of my herd at www.wijimgoats.com
default_smile.png

Why? For entertainment:

HPIM0979.jpg

HPIM0961.jpg

They were pets for me, I got one from my vet, Rambo, the black/white one (someone had found him wandering around and picked him up), I searched and searched for another horned buddy for him and found another, Rocky, the whitish one. They were both wethers and dwarfs. I believe Rambo was a nigerian dwarf and Rocky a pygmy, I do not believe they were pure dwarfs though, both were a little bigger than they were suppose to be, but it didn't matter to me. They were the most fun animals to watch, they were friendly, loving, and very easy to take care of. I hear horror stories of horned goats, but mine were little angels...never caught in the fence, never escaped, never tore anything up, and never tried to butt anyone. Now they did butt each other, but there was never an injury...they were inseperable. When I had to get rid of them, I made sure they went together. I miss them.

Thanks for starting this thread. It is very interesting and I LOVE seeing everyones goats.
default_wub.png
I have grown up around goats on and off my whole life. As a child my Dad raised Nubians. Fast forward many years and some friends were given a goat as a baby and raised him in the house. They enjoyed him so much they got more goats(milking goats) but he would head butt them and they thought he was being mean to them(but typical goat behavior) and wanted to get rid of him. So we took him and the kids named him Max. Not sure what breed he is or even how old he is. I am thinking either a Dwarf Nigerian or Pgymy, he is a wether and the original owner or somebody before our friends tried to debud him and didn't do a very good job so he has one horn growing and curling around and the other is just barely a bud(it gives him character) He looks like a cocca puff. He is so much fun to have around. All of our friends and other people that come to the farm enjoy him.
default_biggrin.png
He has free range, never gets too far from the barns. Doesn't eat too many weeds(darn)but loves to eat my sappling trees :arg! He never jumps on anything except thinks the stacks of hay are a blast to jump up and down on. He enjoys interacting with the horses, cats,chickens and our Shih Tzu and him love to play toether. We have one cat that loves to sit on his back and one chicken that will do the same. He loves animal crackers and doritos. My Paint mare and him seem to have a close bond. I see them out in the pasture together alot and will even catch them laying in the barn together. My grandsons love him. He reminds me more of a dog. In the morning when I go out to feed it is not uncommon to walk out the door and have a our goat and several cats waiting for me then they all follow me to the barn. So here we are about 9 years later and just love him. I am hoping to add a couple more young goats to the farm.(I think the grandsons as well as myself would enjoy them
default_smile.png
) I am currently trying to decide what breed so this thread has been very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back