What do you do if you have one of 'these'...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrymini

Reaction score
I have one of those neighbours who thinks they're the only one capable of looking after animals and the rest of the human race doesn't care about them. Ever since we moved here he's badgered us about how to look after the goats and horses when he wouldn't have the faintest idea. I just wish he'd dob us into the RSCPA so they could come and see some healthy loved animals and tell him off for wasting their time lol. I've been pretty well restrained and held my tongue but yesterday he went too far. Our paddock is near the house, so got a good view of him cutting his long grass and throwing it over the fence to my horses who were scoffing it down like there was no tomorrow. And by the time I'd noticed and reached him there was so much there. I was so mad. He thinks he knows everything but if he did he'd notice they were on very short grass because I want them to be, not because they've been forgotten and neglected. And if he paid any real attention he'd see me throwing them hay once a day. I told him not to feed them, because I need to know what they're eating and if they eat too much they'll get sick and he's says really grumpy and put out 'yeah, OK', like i'm the one being unreasonable!

Sorry to offload on you all, but he's just really getting to me. He's the type of person who is a full time unemployed whatever, helps himself to everyones produce (when they're not looking of course) and doesn't respect general manners of not going onto other peoples properties and touching, feeding your stock or moving your stuff if he thinks its 'not safe' for the animals. All of which happens when you're not home. He once told us that dogs shouldn't have collars then a few days later our dogs collar magically disappeared. We had him up about it but of course it wasn't him. Later that day the collar turned up on the fence that joins our two properties. I wont even go into the goats, I'd be here all day lol

What do you do??!! I wish he'd move lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he's just lonely.

I'd do everything I could to keep the peace. Bake some brownies and have him over, then give him your grand tour. Not that you owe him any explanation, but do introduce your animals to him and say why you do things the way you do. Maybe won't do any good of course but then you know you did try to be kind and reasonable. Let him know you are at least a nice person.

I'd journal everything....What he's doing is on the verge of menacing. He's got a psychological problem.

He also needs to be told that fresh grass cut by a mower and instantly fed to a horse can be deadly.

I'm apparently not so nice. . . no trespassing signs, and a video camera. . . followed by a warning, then legal action. I'm sorry, but he's doing things that can harm or kill your animals. I would not play nice.

I think it doesn't hurt to start out nice since feuds between neighbors is a long term mess. I would try to have a talk with him and find out more about him if he isn't creepy. Did he grow up on a farm? What's his favorite animal? Then, I would explain that it is absolutely imperative that your animals eat only what you provide for them.

Also, you have a phone and he should call if he wants to come over. Cell phones a great since you can get his number and then not answer your phone if it says wacky neighbor calling.

If you grow produce, maybe you could drop by with a little extra once in a while, emphasize that he should call before coming to your house and tell him to enjoy the produce that you provided.

If he is wacky, then you will have to lay down the law. Video tape him doing wrong and go to the sheriff's office. If he is just lonely, you will have helped him have a nicer life but laid down some boundaries. He must call before coming onto your property and he must stop feeding your animals. If he is wacky then you have set your boundaries and sometimes a talk with an officer does help.

Just a thought that reaching out while insisting that your boundaries be honored may help.

I'm apparently not so nice. . . no trespassing signs, and a video camera. . . followed by a warning, then legal action. I'm sorry, but he's doing things that can harm or kill your animals. I would not play nice.
LOL, I was thinking the same thing! Have him arrested for trespassing once or twice and then maybe he'll learn to keep his hands off things that don't belong to him. If he has a problem with the way you're treating your animals he can call whatever the Australian equivalent of the ASPCA is. He's entirely out of line to go snooping around through your place moving and feeding things that he knows nothing about. I would give him a stern verbal warning that he's not to enter or mess with anything on your property without your permission and let him know that you plan to call the police/press charges if it happens again, and then follow through with that threat if the behavior persists.

I’m not normally a harsh person so I would try the peace thing first and nicely confronting him for a while which it seems you have already done. When it comes to someone telling me how to care for my stock, I get very very defensive. I’m not going to vet school because I hate animals and enjoy watching them starve. I’m very loving and caring and have been feeding horses and other types of livestock of all shapes and sizes for many years and if I wanted advice on how to care for them, I would ask for it. I would agree with the previous post at this point and take a more aggressive approach.

Yeah, we're trying to keep the peace as we do have to live next door but we have been here for almost 3 years. We're on talking terms with them, his wife is so nice, its just him. After dropping the kids off at school this morning I noticed his wife was outside her house when we got back so I just had a chat with her over the fence, apologised if her hubby thought I was having a go but explained I was having a panic. So they 'politely' know that they can't feed them now. I have thought of getting a camera, but I feel like maybe i'm being paranoid lol. We're re-doing our fences and we'll be putting the horses on the otherside of the paddock and the goats on his side. I told my hubby I want the electic fence around the top as well as the bottom, that'll stop the climbing over the fence hehe

I would warn him very clearly....sorry I just really don't like being told how to look after my own animals. Lol

I would write down my barn rules. I would have Fast Signs or a woodworker make me something with My Barn Rules. I would post it in, on, or near the barn. I would pick some produce and call him up or tell him I have produce for him and while he was there I would offer to give him the tour of the garden, barn, etc. Then I would explain to him about my livestock and how I strictly forbid anyone giving them anything, even treats. I would then tell him that anytime they are going out of town just let me know and I will keep an extra eye on your place. He might see you as a helpful friend. If he did one more thing like you described then you can ask him"what part of my rules did you not understand?"

We have one of those neighbors also. But they are really good people that have helped us out a lot and would do anything for us. We fussed at him so much about bringing treats to our anatolians and he just ignored us. Now that he owns one and she is overweight he suddenly seems to get it. When I put my IR horse down by the road I told them emphatically no treats for her ever, none. They just were not getting the part about not coming over to see our new pups while we were away. One day she came over for some reason I really don't remember what knowing we were at work. Anyway a man that just happened to be interested in our horses had pulled up into our drive way around the same time she showed up and she decided to walk up to the gate with him so he could look at the horses and pups. Mistake. She said nothing in her life had ever scared her as much as how ballistic our female dog went. She said she came to the top of the gate and acted like she was coming over and after them. My response was " She would have.We've tried to tell you AND we have signs up. Guess you believe us now."

Last edited by a moderator:
good fences make good neighbors!! My house and yard is fenced but not as much as I'd like! Our family farm is completely fenced and we've let blackberry bushes and honey suckle grow up over parts of it where the neighbors would be likely to cross. We also lock all gates leading to anything important (like our barn and pastures!)

When we move to our larger property I plan to plant tall shrubs and large pampas grass completely surrounding our property even in my front yard (and fenced off so the goats can't eat it, lol.) If I'm lucky and my green thumb holds, and it fills in like I want it to, then No one will be able to tell if I'm home or not!! Unless they buzz and I open the gate. I'm lucky enough that the back property line is a large drainage canal
default_smile.png
you'd have to swim to come up from that angle :D

I once had a older lady toss over a whole bag of 12% sweet feed and a whole bag of corn to my minis (3 minis) yrs back. I came home just shortly after she did it and looked out my window and noticed them all hanging out in one area. I walked out there and about had a stroke! I flipped out and yelled as loud as I could and she stepped out asking what was wrong and I told her she just may have killed my minis. Thankfully they did ok but i told her if they died, I wanted $5000 per mini!!! They where only worth about $2500 togather but she got the point loud and clear.

never saw anything tossed over the fence unless she asked in advance after that.

Wait until just when you suspect that you are being watched with binoculars you happen to drop in for a visit and the binoculars are right there in the front window. Or even better you are in the barn alone close to midnight and an unannounced neighbor saunters in asking where your husband is. Duh, in bed like 3 hours ago,did you need something?
default_blush.png
( Excuse me while I try to stay in the horse's stall since apparently my dress code for me when I am out here does not require me to wear much.)

Wait until just when you suspect that you are being watched with binoculars you happen to drop in for a visit and the binoculars are right there in the front window. Or even better you are in the barn alone close to midnight and an unannounced neighbor saunters in asking where your husband is. Duh, in bed like 3 hours ago,did you need something?
default_blush.png
( Excuse me while I try to stay in the horse's stall since apparently my dress code for me when I am out here does not require me to wear much.)
lol

I'm the same. If the nice "please don't blah blah" approach doesn't work then this is what I'll do. Plus quick growing plants on the fenclines in problem areas.

I knew there was a reason I moved somewhere with no neighbours
default_new_rofl.gif

When it comes to the health and well being of your animals, I would certainly make it clear that there are some things they CANNOT have- like the fresh mowed grass, etc.... you would appreciate that he not feed them at all. Then go from there... and then yes, I am afraid I would then go so far as the signs, camera, etc... if it continues. You dont want health issues or worse with your little guys.

I'd say try the nice route, but it sounds like you already have. While I wouldn't go to extremes yet, because he sounds like the type that may be looking for a fight, I would start getting your ducks in a row with signage and by documenting everything as others have suggested.

I had a similar problem with one member of an otherwise very nice family that lives across the road. The young adult son felt comfortable letting himself onto the farm at any time. One night I was alone in the barn at about 11pm and I heard voices. I grabbed a shovel and shouted, "Who's there?" and he comes out of the treeline and says, "Oh it's just ____ from across the road." I told him he'd better be careful coming over to the farm at night because I might *mistake* him for a trespasser and hit him with a shovel, and he said "I can take a hit." I said, "Probably not to the head," and that was the last time he came over at night.

It's hard to have a "helpful" neighbor. I've got one (not nearly as bad as you) who is always throwing his grass clippings over to my minis. I've asked him time and time again not to do that because they hork it down so fast and they aren't used to that much fresh grass at one time. I've told him if he and his grandkids would like to pick a few handfuls to push through the fence that is fine. However, I still find the minis scarfing down huge piles of clippings sometimes. I try hard to keep the peace because I've seen neighbor feuds first hand and no one is ever happy in a situation like that.

I would ask him to stay off of the property uninvited and to not feed your animals. Tell him (as kindly as possible) if he has a problem with the way your animals are treated to please file a formal complaint with the local law enforcement. They will come out and do a wellness check and quickly let him know that everything is in order and to please leave you and your property and animals alone.

We have had the same problem with the folks that rent farmland around us which we tried to rent..but were turned down.there were hard feelings as they were upset we tried to rent it instead of them..and that we bought the house their son wanted....which led to the state coming out due to a reported"dead "foal...who in fact was sleeping...he slept hours at the time just sprawled out. They fed our dog a big pot of chicken pastry with bones...his gut twisted from eating so much...he was bloated and his tongue was purple when we got home...and he died in the front seat of my car on the way to the vets office.our neighbors threw their cherry tree branches into our goat pen...we lost four goats and didnt know why until we saw the branches three days later..of course our neighbors called the state again saying they were neglected when they saw us burying them. then to top it off...we had a mare on a dry lot as she had a history of foundering on grass.we had to limit her intake considerably.we came home to tons of grass clippings dumped in her pen and about ten pounds of feed still left in a 5 gallon bucket...she colicked and we lost her the next day while the vet was en route.she had eaten half the bucket if it was full...state came out again after neighbors saw her being buried..they told them we starved her..and that we never put much hay out for her and she had no grass ...they took our only two minis due to the calls and had the vet check them.vet said they were very healthy then brought them back to us..lol.we finally got fed up and moved into a singlewide we bought just to get away.stayed gone a year and moved back because we didnt want to let the house go..we have a 6 foot privacy fence now...have told the neighbors we will sue them if they bother us or our animals again and told the sherriffs office theyd better have a warrant to come out and walk our property...it was a nightmare...and knock on wood..its been better...we hated to act like that but they didnt understand that you cant just assume just because an animal doesnt have feed 24/7 they are neglected.we could never prove they did it..but we know who it was...its a shame how nosy people think they are helping when in fact..they cause more harm than good.

We have had the same problem with the folks that rent farmland around us which we tried to rent..but were turned down.there were hard feelings as they were upset we tried to rent it instead of them..and that we bought the house their son wanted....which led to the state coming out due to a reported"dead "foal...who in fact was sleeping...he slept hours at the time just sprawled out. They fed our dog a big pot of chicken pastry with bones...his gut twisted from eating so much...he was bloated and his tongue was purple when we got home...and he died in the front seat of my car on the way to the vets office.our neighbors threw their cherry tree branches into our goat pen...we lost four goats and didnt know why until we saw the branches three days later..of course our neighbors called the state again saying they were neglected when they saw us burying them. then to top it off...we had a mare on a dry lot as she had a history of foundering on grass.we had to limit her intake considerably.we came home to tons of grass clippings dumped in her pen and about ten pounds of feed still left in a 5 gallon bucket...she colicked and we lost her the next day while the vet was en route.she had eaten half the bucket if it was full...state came out again after neighbors saw her being buried..they told them we starved her..and that we never put much hay out for her and she had no grass ...they took our only two minis due to the calls and had the vet check them.vet said they were very healthy then brought them back to us..lol.we finally got fed up and moved into a singlewide we bought just to get away.stayed gone a year and moved back because we didnt want to let the house go..we have a 6 foot privacy fence now...have told the neighbors we will sue them if they bother us or our animals again and told the sherriffs office theyd better have a warrant to come out and walk our property...it was a nightmare...and knock on wood..its been better...we hated to act like that but they didnt understand that you cant just assume just because an animal doesnt have feed 24/7 they are neglected.we could never prove they did it..but we know who it was...its a shame how nosy people think they are helping when in fact..they cause more harm than good.
That is awful!! Can't believe what you've been through! We haven't lost any stock yet, thank goodness, but I reckon I'm starting to get paranoid now, like if I see a shovel where I'm pretty sure it wasn't before I immediately assume its the neighbour. (cue suspenseful music) Hopefully they leave you alone now!

Latest posts

Back