What do you do if you have one of 'these'...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hubby and I are opposites. When we moved here, he was worried what the neighbors might think and insisted on a "nice looking" fence. I on the other hand wanted a "no climb" fence all the way to the ground so no kids or dogs could get in. He won and luckyily, we have had only one incident with a dog in 10 yrs.

I believe in the "good fences make good neighbors". On the other hand a bit of sweetness will get you more cooperation that nasty sour grapes (sorry, just couldn't help myself from using that) LOL

living here in Switzerland , in a small town I have this problem all the time .Uneducated people that want to help ... Most people are just using the things they learned as kids , and times have changed, they just dont know that because they no longer have animals.I try to explaine ( and i have to do this on a daily basis ) that These horses are special ... the native shetland lived for hundreds of years on a rocky cold island without grass... their bodys have adapted to this environment ... then we suddenly took them out of their environment and put them on lush pasture in warm climates ...not cool ... so what we responsible and educated owners do is try to give them the environment that they are use to and can thrive in .We do this by cutting down on the grass intake ( then i go into laminitis and founder etc ) and so on and so on ... then i show the hotel guests the trophys , you see , the judges wouldnt "like " this horse if it was not fit physically , emotionally and trained . all the horses needs are being cared for , so thank you for your concern , but there is no need to get involved here ....Someone called me the other day and wanted my 38 year old donkey for 3 days to go backpacking in the Alps ... she does not have horses , nor does she know anything about horses .... but her daughter once took riding lessons ... good greif. Write your idiot neighbor a letter explaining that your horses are in the best care , and to bark up another tree, our neighbor once threw fresh cut grass over the fence too ... you have no idea if he is using pestisides on his lawn , or snail bait ... I threw the grass right back over that dang fence , but threw it everywhere ; ) good luck , i feel for you !

He sure doesn't sound stable and I definitely would not invite him over.

Had another incident today when I was out. Poor hubby had to take the brunt of it. Neighbour comes storming over across our paddock to him raving that he can't sit on his back deck now because he just cant sit there and watch these poor goats limping around and there's something wrong with them and we don't even care, and he's called up the vet who said its probably foot rot, blah blah blah etc. My hubbies like 'yeah, there is something wrong with them, that's why they've been separated and I already know they have foot rot and if you've noticed their fur is actually a bit blue from the treatment we've been soaking their feet in'.

Anyways, i get home from the shops, hubby is frazzled so neighbour will be getting a polite but forceful letter in the mail and also the electric fence will be lifted to crotch height, so he won't be able to climb over (I hope he tries at least once tho, *snigger*). If that doesn't work we might just have to fork out a few thousand to put a tall fence along the whole property and take out an AVO.

My mom has one of these neighbors and it is all out war after they asked him nicely to stop feeding the animals and stay off the property s. It has gotten so bad he poisoned one of the horses he hast them with his bebe gun,he ran the donkys through the fence and my mom had to actually get rid of them after the horse who was poisoned had recovered he spooked it with something and it ended up sticking a branch all the way through its leg and had to be put down sherriff say they can do nothing about any of it . I say get a restraining order and be done with it if he comes on your property he will be arrested all this happened cause they started out trying to be nice to the syco next door!

Had another incident today when I was out. Poor hubby had to take the brunt of it. Neighbour comes storming over across our paddock to him raving that he can't sit on his back deck now because he just cant sit there and watch these poor goats limping around and there's something wrong with them and we don't even care, and he's called up the vet who said its probably foot rot, blah blah blah etc. My hubbies like 'yeah, there is something wrong with them, that's why they've been separated and I already know they have foot rot and if you've noticed their fur is actually a bit blue from the treatment we've been soaking their feet in'.

Anyways, i get home from the shops, hubby is frazzled so neighbour will be getting a polite but forceful letter in the mail and also the electric fence will be lifted to crotch height, so he won't be able to climb over (I hope he tries at least once tho, *snigger*). If that doesn't work we might just have to fork out a few thousand to put a tall fence along the whole property and take out an AVO.
Sorry it came to that point. He obviously would be miserable if he couldn't see himself as "Mr. Know it All."

Latest posts

Back