A Story for All to read! IMPORTANT !! LONG

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donna

Reaction score
Most of you do not know me or my farm, but others do. I am not writing this to be critisized, this is information for all of you to learn by. NOTHING MORE!

I have been breeding for some time and have never had a mare to abort or red bag. I have only once had trouble with a mare foaling and that was my very first mare that labored here. I take very good care of my horses and pay special attention to my mares.

In Virginia we have a problem with Fescue grass. Fescue is NOT a forage that you want to feed your mares in the last tri-mester of their pregnancy. For years I have had to buy special hay for them during that time. It is not the fescue that is the problem so to speak, but the mold that grows on it. That mold is TOXIC to the mare and causes the Placenta wall to thicken. The mold also causes the mare NOT to produce milk ( hense the importance of COLOSTRUM ). The toxins also cause the foal to be larger than usual and can prolong the days of gestation. NOW FOR MY STORY

Every year around September, October I go on a shopping spree to find a supplier for my hay. I have been burned by allot of hay salesman in the past promising me they would have my hay when I needed it and then selling it during the hay shortages to make an extra buck. Hense, leaving me shopping again.

This past fall we went ahead and erected a barn just so we could put up enough hay to carry us through. I went shopping! I found a supplier that assured me he had some really good Orchard Grass hay, My hay of choice. I stressed to him that I raised Miniature Horses and that there could no be any FESCUE in the hay.

He replied to me he had been in the hay business for many years and that he and his son knew their hay. He said that he had invested allot of money into this business and was servicing horse and cattle owners all over. He said that the hay he was going to bring me was really nice stuff and that everyone was demanding it. I set up the appointment for delivery.

The hay arrived when I was at work and Buster was here to help unload it. When he noticed the hay looked differant, he asked about it. The reply he got was unusual but the man insisted it was really nice Orchard Grass hay. When I arrived home later that day, Buster told me that I should come look at this hay we got, it really looks weird. I took one look at called the supplier. I asked him just what kind of hay was this that he had brought me, I told him that is was very fine, like 4" needles, almost like pine needles. When I questioned the supplier about the funny apearance, he said that the hay blades were rolled because of the weather and when it was bailed. Every question I had for him, he had an anwer waiting for me, no hesitation, sounded like he knew his stuff. It was very green and pretty but the stems or blades were rolled funny. He explained to me that it was Orchard Grass Hay, some of the finest in the state, it came from a very repllicable farmer in the Valley. He said it I did not want it he would come and get it, he said that he stands behind his hay and that he had a very high demand from other horse people for this hay, " They love it!".

After a week or two, the more I looked at the hay and handled the hay, I still had some question as to whether it was Orchard Grass or maybe even Timothy? I called the supplier back and asked him if there was anyway that his son that delivered the hay could have gotten it mixed up with another batch, I stressed my concerns again that this was not Orchard Grass Hay, again he convinced me it was.

I decided to take a sample up to the county Extension Agent to be analyzed. The agent called me later that day and told me that even though the texture was different the hay was Orchard Grass. So with that I went ahead and fed my girls.

On Saturday, February 3d, my Lady went into labor. She had the infamous RED BAG. She had no MILK. I was checking mares daily and did find it strange that only a couple were starting bags and mares were due to start foaling soon. Last year I had some mares that sometimes got their bags the day before foaling or even directly after foaling, so I did not think much of it until Lady. I do not want to go into the horrors of that labor, but I just want to say, Lady did not make it and I never got to see her foal, as it was never delivered.

On Monday, I was feeding and I put my hands around a big batch of hay to feed and I thought to myself, RED BAG, NO MILK, I am going to have this hay checked out again by another agent from another county. I took a sample over to the agent and within 30 minutes he called me and told me to get my mares off that hay it was definatley Fescue. YOU CANNOT IMAGINE WHAT I FELT! My world crashed.

I called my vet in desperation, we immediatly started the mares on EQUITOX,Each tube is $60, I started out with 5 tubes,it is a homone therapy to start milk production. Since the mares are due soon, I also had to order Colostrum for the foals, 3 pints at $125.00 a pint. I had to order additional Foal Alerts because with the milk altered by the hormone, I can't test with the strips to determine foaling as I have in the past. Never missed but one foal , ever hitting the ground. I had to go out and buy additional cameras and have extended cables sent to me overnite. I had to erect two new stalls in the barn isle way to accomodate the mares. I am on 24 hour watch, have had little sleep between beeps. My daughter, Mandy, is getting married on March 3d, I had to hire a VET to sit with my horses during the rehersal and wedding/reception because of the potential upcoming problem birth. $150 an hour. I am mad, tired, stressed, depressed and hurt.

I am not writing this for your pitty and I know that some have expressed their sympathy for my mare that I lost and I do appreciate that. I just want to stress to you how improtant it is to go with your gutt sometimes, not take the advise of some whom you think may be qualified to give you information, allot of people like to think they know it all! This man has EGG on his face! He claimed to be a hay expert and if I can come up with the funds, He will be wearing that EGG in Court. I do not know yet how I intend to do that. I may even have to ask for help. I am not at that point. What I would like from all of you right now, is your PRAYERS for my Mares and Upcoming Foals. If you can support me with that, I will be grateful. My next mare to foal was due last nite, she did not foal. She has a little bag started, thanks to the Equitox. Lets Pray that all the bags fill with thick, Healthy Colostrum and all the babies are born in clear thin Sacs. Lets Pray that all are healthy and the mares recover quickly. Do this for me, and I will be forever Grateful to each and every one of you! You will know that if I can ever be of any help to you, ASK! I will be there if I can.

I am in need of one item if anyone has one laying around, My vet says that I can get to the mares quicker if I had the Foal Alert System. You sew a magnet into their Vulva and it becomes seperated and sends a message to a receiver at the onset of foaling. I cannot afford the system new. It is very expensive and I have already put out allot of money. If anyone has one that they would be able to lend me. The transmitter and receiver, I can buy the Magnets, please Call me ASAP 804-561-4159

Thank You LilBeginnings for allowing me a place to open my heart and a place to vent!

Donna

Donna , My heart and prayers go out to you and your Girls Ill be keeping you all in my thoughts.

Oh Donna!

I know how sick you must be over this! I pray that each of your girls does well with foaling and that the babies are healthy. I cannot even imagine this.

God Bless you during this trying time!

Beth

donna

Im so sorry for you and your mares and I am saying prayers the rest goes well. I know exactly how you feel as I also got a bad batch of hay that made my entire herd sick. I kept asking and asking the different vets if it could be the hay and they all said no. That is until the entire herd got sick. Like you said you have to listen to your gut.

Oh Donna I am so sorry.

If it does come to your needing financial help to get this son of an unmarried mother, count me in!!

My prayers will be with you and your mares in the coming, hard , days and nights.

Donna,

I am very sorry for what has happened. I've worried about in the future if the hay I think is fescue free really isn't. Thanks to reading your post, I will have it tested before we have mares that are pregnant.

Jill

PS sending you a PM

Oh, Donna, I am so very sorry to hear that you are going through this! Fescue is a breeders worst nightmare!! I will be praying that the rest of your foaling season goes as well as possible under the circumstances. It sounds like you are doing everything possible to assure that it does!

Donna,

That is so so sad. Your little mares have my prayers for sure.

Susan O.

Our prayers are with you and Im so sorry to hear about the loss of your mare and foal.

Hopefully your mares will foal fine and give you beautiful foals and help heal your heart! Laura

Donna, reading your post breaks my heart. I am so sorry. Prayers and good thoughts are on your way !

Its a hard way to learn "trust is good double control is better". Since I live in Southwest I learned also the hard way.

Keep us informed

Anita

Donna, You know I will be praying for you and your girls..... Been there done that and have two tee shirts from last year to prove it.

Lyn

Donna I am so sorry for all you are going through!!! You have all my prayers and best wishes that you and your horses get through this. It sounds like you are doing every thing you can. I would be sure to save all documentation and do take him to court.

Oh no how awful I am so sorry. As I am reading this I am thinking I know a friend who is feeding hay like this the thing that sticks out to me is the 4 " pine needle description I remember seeing her hay and thinking the exact same thing itis very green and smells fresh but really is just like pine needles. I will send this to her right away.(by the way she thinks hers is orchard hay as well)

Donna, I am so sorry for what you are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mares.

I try to follow my gut. I made my husband take hay out of the mare barn just last week that was supposed to be orchard grass. It looked funny to me and I pitched a royal fit but he switched it out. I would rather be wrong and eat crow than risk my mares. Thanks so much for your informative writing!

default_pray.gif
: for your mares

Donna,

You and all of your little mares have my prayers!!! This is terrible and the man should be strung up by his b_lls! I wish I had a system to send to you, but we don't. I am sooo sorry that you are having to go through this, how scary!

Thank you for taking the time to inform all of us the way you did. I think this post should go in the Best Of LB forum after it's served it's purpose on this forum! Such an important issue for anyone that breeds.

I will be thinking of you all and sending my best. Congrats to Mandy on her upcoming wedding.

I hope you will be able to recover damages from this ruthless salesman.

((((HUGS))))

Jodi

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Your story gives me goose bumps :new_shocked: God bless you and your precious girls, many prayers are being sent your way
default_pray.gif
: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Joy[/SIZE]

I am so sorry to read of the problems you are going through. You and your family and little mares will be in my prayers.

I also want to thank you for sharing your information with all of us. I'm sure it was hard to do, but will probably save some foals and mares in days to come.

I do want to mention the Foal alarm system you are asking about. The kind that is sewn into the vulva. we have a client who also had a terrible fescue year for the very same reasons as you. their hay man sold them fescue hay while guaranteeing it was not. They had several terrible distocias as a result and the sewn in signal device didn't work because the birth couldn't progress to the point of breaking the connection. they have gone back to the halter transmitter type which does give more false alarms, but at least they are now aware if a mare is in trouble.

Take care,

Charlotte

What a horrible mess! If that man knew the hay he sold you wasn't orchard grass, but FESCUE-- that is CRIMINAL!
default_sad.png

My condolences on the loss of your mare and foal, and will be praying for the rest of your pregnant mares.

It was very good of you to share this with all of us. {{{hugs}}}

Back