A Story for All to read! IMPORTANT !! LONG

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry what you have been through. I think its wonderful that you could share your experience on LB to help others. You will be in our thoughts and prayers
default_pray.gif
:

Oh Donna, how very terrible for you and your poor little mare. I'm sorry I do not have a foal alert system to send to you. But, I do have lots of prayers and good thoughts headed your way as we speak. Hugs to you since I can only imagine how scared you are over the upcoming foalings. Please keep the forum informed. Hang in there, sounds like you have more than enough on your plate.

You have my prayers and sincere best wishes for successful foalings and healthy foals. It sounds like u have done everything u possibly can.

So very sorry to hear of your problem thats very low down of the hay seller jerks that some are just for the buck. :ugh: Happens up here also. Good luck with the rest of your foaling...

Sending prayers to all your beautiful little mares and prayers to you as well for all the strength you will need to get through this! I am sooo sorry to hear of it! What a dope of a hay dealer, I hope he has more than one sleepless night over this! I am in as well with funds if you need it! Just say the word!

You have a good case if you are able to go that route, IMO. My heart goes out to you for what you may have to experience this foaling season.

Larry and I went through something similar last year when our area was low on hay and we had to buy from a supplier who was bringing in hay from other regions. The supplier lied to us too! Unfortunately the fescue was mixed in with orchard grass and timothy, so it wasn't so easily identifiable.

We were fortunate not to have any red bag births, BUT we had mares not bagging up like they normally do and we purchased a colostrum replacer online called "Equine IgG. It comes in 300 ml bottles and is given orally. The manufacturer is Sera, Inc. It states on the bottle -- "For failure of passive transfer in neonatal foals". Each bottle is enough for one full-sized foal, so we were splitting it up into fourths for the minis.

Occasionally, there are horse farms that save colostrum, freeze it, and sell it. Your vet may know if there are any farms like that in your general area.

Please keep us informed on how this season goes for you.........Your post is a very educational one for many. Thank you so much for sharing.

Blessings,

MA

So sorry to hear of your sad loss and the ongoing problems. Thank you for sharing the information. I am sorry I do not have a foal alert system, hope someone else has one they could lend you. Sending prayers and hugs for you, your family, your beautiful mares and their foals. Please keep us posted.

Yvonne

Donna, I am so sorry to hear of this. Your family and mares will be in our prayers. If anyone out there has not met Donna and Buster [and Mandy] in person a nicer family you could not possibly meet. Linda B

Oh Donna, I am so sorry for you and Buster. You two and your mares will be in my prayer
default_wub.png
: At least you cought it before any more losses and are prepared for it now. Please keep us updated.

I am very sorry to hear about what has happened to you..The jerk that sold you that stuff needs to have something done to him :new_2gunsfiring_v1: I know it won't bring back your mare, but no one esle needs to go threw this. I have never had a foal, as I am to worried that something would happen.. Sending prayers your way for the rest of your mares to foal safely...
default_yes.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Oh Donna I am so sorry for the loss of you Mare & Foal! :no:

That man does deserve to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law too! :no:

Thank You for post your story so we can all learn from it . Even if it is tragic story it may jsut help someone in the near future. Your description of this hay rang a bell with me already.

It sounds like a small load a hay my husband just picked up from a near by farm a couple of weeks ago! :new_shocked:

So I have serious question can someone, please post a photo of what Fescue looks like in hay form please! I will post this in the other topic I saw started by someone earlier too. It shows Fescue in (small photo) a field and in a drawing, but not cut and dry.
default_unsure.png
:

I am freaking out here! I have never seen fescue in person before so dont know what it looks like. All I know is this hay is not bladed like my other grass hay has been. It also has a Pine needle look to it and it is very green still. We only picked up some different hay since we have one horse here with the need of an Grass Hay only diet right now, otherwise we feed Alfalfa/Grass and Timothy/Grass 2 second crop.

I will send hubby down Monday to have the hay tested just to be sure though
default_yes.gif
: I would just like to see if anyone has a photo or two of what it looked like cut and dry.

Again,

I am so sorry for your losses and thank you for telling us your story!

Jeri

Hi Donna

I am so sorry about your mare and foal. I just can't imagine having to go through something like this and I am sorry that you are. I will keep you and your family and all your horses in my prayers. May God Bless you and help the rest of your foaling season be good.

Rattlesnake Branch Miniatures

Southeastern NC

Dear Donna,

I am so so sorry for what you are going through right now. My husband and I both send you our prayers, for you, your mares, and your unborn foals. Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Oh my gosh Donna, you poor soul - sending best wishes that you will have the most healthy bouncy foals possible...... Best of luck in getting some money back from this hay seller - hopefully you have something other than verbal to pursue this with.

I am not writing this for your pitty and I know that some have expressed their sympathy for my mare that I lost and I do appreciate that. I just want to stress to you how improtant it is to go with your gutt sometimes, not take the advise of some whom you think may be qualified to give you information, allot of people like to think they know it all!
I have been in that position too many times.

Thank you so much for sharing. You may have saved countless lives. I'm so sorry about the loss...we'll pray for a healthy and uneventful foaling for those yet to come.

Thank you for your informative post, and best wishes for a successful foaling season from here out!

We had a mare foal first of the year with no milk, and it sure did cross my mind although to my knowledge we've never had fescue down here.

Jan

That's awful; I'm so sorry you lost your mare & her unborn foal. I'll be hoping things go better for your other mares.

Remember all, she did say the hay seller offered to come & pick up the hay if she wasn't satisfied with it. She didn't take him up on that & I think that may work against her if she tries to sue the hay seller over this. The other thing is it sounds like this fellow is just the hay dealer--he bought this hay from some farmer (I'm assuming he bought the hay already baled, but that's as assumption) and then resells it to horse owners. That being the case he maybe took the hay farmer's word for what kind of hay was in the bales, and he didn't know it wasn't orchardgrass. Maybe he should have known, but either he just took the farmer's word for it and didn't check the hay closely--of if he did check the hay for himself he didn't recognize it for what it was. After all, the first county ag agent that looked at the hay said it was orchardgrass too. I don't mean to imply any criticism of Donna by saying this--I'm just pointing out that the hay seller may not have deliberately lied about the type of hay and that a lawsuit may not be too feasible.

Donna

1. I am terribly sorry for your ordeal

2. I think that may should pay. Even if it is in small claims court, he should not be allowed to

get away with this and should be punished somehow. I hope you have gone over there and let him know

exactly what happened and also tell that AG Man's boss that he obviously don't know his job.

3. This post should be pinned in the "Best of Miniature Horse Forum" for future reference

People in my neck of the woods will tell you anything that you want to hear so that you will buy your hay.

I have bought more crap hay in the past that turned out not to be fit for cows.

Took me years to know who to trust and who not to trust.

Back