A snake in one of my stalls!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minis3

Reaction score
Has anyone else ever found a live snake in a stall? I was horrified!! My horses were not in their stalls at the time. As I approached the stall, I saw it laying there big as life and no one around to help me. There would have been a time that I would have gone running in the house and hid under the bed. But I had to get it out of the stall. I am still amazed that I actually did this. I tried to pull it out with my manure fork but all it did was go further into the stall. And then it turned and presented itself at me. I thought okay fellow, this is war. I then went for the shovel. It took several attempts but he now is in snake heaven. I'm sorry to anyone this may offend but I DO NOT like snakes. Although I did try to get him to leave and he didn't. Now I must admit he was no boa constricter or anything like that, just your average garden snake about 2 feet long and as round as your thumb, but to me a snake is a snake! And I truly felt awful when I killed him. Although it was my horse Onyx's stall that he was in, and I know Onyx would have done him in with no trouble. Onyx once killed a baby groundhog that was unfortunate enough to be in the pasture at the same time he was. I have seen snakes around before but never in the barn or in one of the stalls and I sure hope I never do again!

YUCK!!! I don't "do" snakes either. You're braver then I am!!! Think I would have gone running for the house even though no one is home to help me and hope it left on it's own!!!
default_yes.gif
:

If it was just a garden snake, I probably would have just moved him out to the yard........Snakes are actually a sign that your local environment is healthy........and the small ones eat bugs. I've seen a good sized one actually swallow a mouse! :new_shocked:

MA

Had one in the barn a few years ago before we had it enclosed. It was atleast 5 ft. long.

My son and I were out playing T-ball over the weekend. After we finished I ran in to get these bird seed ornaments to put on the tree. As I was walking by the side of my house right were we had just been playing laid a black colored snake(don't know if it was actually a black snake or some other kind) laying stretched out along the side of the house. I called my husband who came out to get it. He has this pole that he made with a rope on the end of it where he is able to catch it without being in harms way and doesn't harm the snake.... he picked it up and took it across the street. He said it was over 6 ft. long. It scared me more because my son who is 3 was within a few feet of it. It was almost as big around as a soda can(hubby said it had been eating good).

EEUuu, Minis3, I'm with you. Snakes make my skin crawl! Don't even want to watch them on the animal channel! You're very brave to have done away with it. I made my hubby come remove one that was only about the size of a worm.

I have a phobia of snakes! The thought of snakes, even just the word makes me shiver *ick*. I cannot even look at them at the pet store, even dead ones creap me out.

Last fall i came into Coco's stall and it smelled funny. I put him out and was cleaning his stall and i glanced in his corner feeder and there was a snake, flat as you could imagine but still in striking position. I ran out and came back, well it was dead and flat but still gave me a scare. I could not touch it, had to wait 2hrs for someone to get home and throw it across the creek. I didnt realize until later that it was bailed with the hay and when i threw hay into them that morning it was in the hay, soo that ment that snake was in my arms that morning. ICK Ewwww i spazzed lol.

That is so scary. We have a creek like right behind my main barn (hence the name Green Creek) so it doesnt help. Sometime i will walk out in the pasture of drylot which is right off the creek bed and there are snakes laying there. Did i mention i have a phobia of snakes?? I always had to check out pool and make sure no snakes got in it lol, i'm a spaz when it comes to snakes.

Hope you never find another snake in your barn, better yet i hope you dont find another snake anywhere!!!! lol
default_smile.png

I have to post this snake story in a stall lengthy but to funny.

The cat had part of snake in the stall, ughhh and I was just grossed out and it was about 3inches in diameter. It was like just the front part of the snake looked like the back half was either cut off or ran over or something blood end. Gross! So the 2 cats were hissing and carrying on over it so I went to pick it up with the shavings fork and it took off into the shavings I screamed and jumped up on the tack trunk. I about thew up! Why was it still alive??? So I called my husband to come kill this snake (oh yeah I cant kill anything) so he drove all the way home while I watched it. :lol: So he comes home and takes it out with a shovel, heres the good part. Turns out it was a lizard and the bloody stump was the tail. I was so mad I would captured it and set it out safely. You couldnt see its legs in all of those shavings. So it looked like it was slithering down in them. (they were about 5 inches deep in that stall) still creeps me out!

. Although I did try to get him to leave and he didn't. Now I must admit he was no boa constricter or anything like that,
Ok well first off in my mind any snake is one of those freak of nature 20 feet long things that can easily swallow a human.. I DONT DO SNAKES AT ALL I HATE THEM!!!!

so there is a PANIC and i mean PANIC every time I see one (remember this is a house of girls who about called 911 cause a toad was in our house and took 3 hours of screaming and crying to catch it and get it outside)

I have seen them in the stalls a couple of times but that is why I have those ferral barn cats around.. I just go find a couple of cats and toss them in there and they pretty much handle business

but OMG so scary!!!

Leeana, I'm like you, I'm terrified of snakes!!!!!
default_crybaby.gif
:

I have several stories like the time the cats brought in a snake through the cat door. I jumped over the couch and out the front door. Luckily it was the dead of winter and the snake was dead. They wanted me to see their prize. No one was home so got the cloths rod that you use in cars that was by the front door and managed to get it outside without having a heart attack. One day shortly after that I was getting home from work, opened the front door and there coiled up by the door was a snake--got that same rod out and got him out on the porch and was about to get him with the wood axe when he fell through the crack of deck--he was lucky--but the cat door was permanently closed.

Two summers ago while watching a mare on the camera (it has one way audio) I heard the rooster just having a fit. Went out to the barn and there was a huge black snake part way into the little chicken coop--I didn't want it killing the chickens so grabbed the only thing I could find--the manure shovel and started whacking at it. It of course has not sharp edge so I guess I managed to damage him enough that I killed him--about 4 1/2 feet long and 2 inches around. EEECK!!!! :new_shocked: Shortly after that I found a small green snake with a pattern in the paddock and ran for the sharpshooter shovel and managed to find it and dispatch it to snake heaven.

Last year never saw a one, guess it was just too dry. I have already killed on in the barn this year--about the size of index finger and 2 1/2 feet long. Was in the hay (bottom layer) and looking for eggs in the nest that the hens had made there a couple of days earlier. I just lifted up the tarp and there he was--talk about heart failure :new_shocked: grabbed the old sharpshooter again and pummeled him to death. Guess the next time the neightbor comes over I need to get him to sharpen my shovel.

Around here the only good snake is DEAD, GONE, KAPOOTS. I won't go in the pet stores with snakes and the kids (now grown) sure can't get me anywhere close to the snake house at the zoo. I'll just wait outside.

EEW! A few Saturdays ago, we found a small copperhead and it was bye bye snakey
default_smile.png
Then, our cow was killed by a water moccasin. Then on Monday we found a HUGE copperhead in one of our mare stalls and it didn't look like a copperhead, so we had it contained in a tool box and Mario took it to work and his buddies asked him why he had a copperhead with him :new_shocked: Our family is a fan of non poisunus snakes such as African Rock Pythons sp I grew up around them and I'm not afraid to mess with them. I'm kind of the snake person at the horse place and I recently got a snake Encyclopedia

A snake will startle me and I may jump or even let out a scream, but I also know they are equally afraid of humans and don't do any damage they can be a good thing, if you can keep from having a Heart attack when you see one.

That being said I still wouldn't want them in my barn. And I'm in Ohio where most all snakes here are harmless. RAttlers, cobra or Boa's I would probably be alittle more worried about.

When I find them I just get a net and or bucket and relocate them.

Hope know more snakes find thier way to your barns. For thier own sake and yours!
default_yes.gif
:

Edited to add copperhead and water Moccasin to the poisonous list. We do have Water Moccasin here in Ohio,, eww,, sorry to here one killed your cow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snakes don't bother me at all. We let all the 'good ones' stay around (hopefully the cats or dogs wont get them- we usually try to move them across the road) but the bad ones- the rattlers, have to go. They don't scare me as long as I see them first! (they don't always buzz in time)

The good snakes help keep down mice, bugs and other unwanted stuff. They wont hurt anything. If you can get them in a bucket (with a lid) and put them back outside away from the barn, they will wander off and do their own thing. The bad ones get 'evicted' permanently.

Now grasshoppers? That is another thing entirely!

I LOVE having Eastern Racers....they kill rats, mice, and the occasional smaller poisonous snake. Have only seen one but they move like lightning if they feel or hear anyone approaching.

Well weh ave snakes, have seen some smaller ones, I don t mind them as long as they arent dangerous ones, but found a nsake skin in our paddock the other day and it lookes to have come off a pretty large snake, but have yet to see it. I agree, snakes dont bother me as much as bugs!!!!! I would take a snake over a spider anyday!

Whew! Glad to read that I'm not the ONLY one who appreciates the value of NON-poisonous snakes! :aktion033:

Trust me! Garden Snakes are GOOD to have around!
default_yes.gif
: (I like Bats too!! :bgrin )

I like snakes, my mom is terrified of them. When the pallets outside were moved there were over a dozen garden snakes under them.
default_smile.png

UP WITH SNAKES! LOL
default_yes.gif
: Actually that fellow was probably looking for a mouse or some large insect to eat. Snakes are very good at rodent control, to the best of my knowledge they don't carry diseases that can be passed to horses like mice and rats do. I'll take a snake any day over mice and rats.

Charlotte

[SIZE=12pt]We live in Texas. I have heard about Copperheads in this area, Thank God I haven't seen one so when I see a snake no matter what it is history. We have had Bull/Corn Snakes. Ours get about 4 feet in length! We have had them in the pool, hay bales and stalls. :new_shocked: Last year we had babies in our pool. Well they look like Copperheads so I gathered them up in the pool net put them in a container and disposed of them if you know what I mean. Well a few days later we found MOMMA on our back porch not even 3 ft from the door. She got scared and slithered into the pool. My one daughter got this short stick to wared it off while my husband got the snake shot. I looked at her and asked if she was nuts. I got this long flat pole with a net and continued to bop it in the head to keep it in the pool til my husband came out. Well after about the second time I stopped it from getting out it stood a third of the way out of the water to "challange" me. I t quickly swam to another area and by that time my husband was there gun in tow. Can you say Hello to my little friend.....BYe Bye snake. So I say to you way to go, I know to it it is not so nice but I would rather be safe then sorry.[/SIZE]

UP WITH SNAKES! LOL
default_yes.gif
: Actually that fellow was probably looking for a mouse or some large insect to eat. Snakes are very good at rodent control, to the best of my knowledge they don't carry diseases that can be passed to horses like mice and rats do. I'll take a snake any day over mice and rats.

Charlotte

default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back