Possible pistachio ingestion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoahG

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So Winston and Aggie are kept at a boarding facility, which is unfortunately open to the public on the lower half all day. I found a soggy pistachio shell in Winston's food bowl in his stall and now I'm concerned. Since anyone can roam through the facility for all I know some moron was feeding him pistachios. He appears to be normal right now, and I'll drive up to check on him in the morning. This made me furious. The fact that someone would have the tenacity to put it in hos bowl (which was in the middle of his stall) makes me so mad. I read that pistachio trees are poisonous to horses, and I assume the shells aren't any better. Really praying nothing bad happens to my little boy from this.
--Noah20221021_201507.jpg

People are horrible about feeding them things they shouldn't have. I'd also be worried that someone was in the stall with him. If someone had to go in there to give nuts, who is to say they aren't trying to climb on and go for a ride. Or that they will close the stall door after. I would make sure the barn manager is aware, and maybe check in his mouth to see if he tried to eat a shell and got anything stuck in a tooth. They are very salty so a horse might try to eat one, but I think they are probably too hard for them to crunch and eat. I don't think a couple nuts is likely to hurt him, but it's better safe than sorry.

People are horrible about feeding them things they shouldn't have. I'd also be worried that someone was in the stall with him. If someone had to go in there to give nuts, who is to say they aren't trying to climb on and go for a ride. Or that they will close the stall door after. I would make sure the barn manager is aware, and maybe check in his mouth to see if he tried to eat a shell and got anything stuck in a tooth. They are very salty so a horse might try to eat one, but I think they are probably too hard for them to crunch and eat. I don't think a couple nuts is likely to hurt him, but it's better safe than sorry.
Thank you. I've talked with the manager and their reply was along the lines of "sorry it's a public facility." Winston seems to be a-ok. Thanks again.

I would be furious as well :mad:!!
Like LostandFound said, who knows what else they're doing!

Would the manager let you put up a sign asking people not to feed them? (Not that that is a guarantee stupid, disrespectful people will comply...but, it may help).
Is there any way to secure the stall door so unauthorized people can't get in?

This boarding stable is open to the public? Like just any random person off the street can come in?
That would be weird....I've boarded, and of course owners are free to come over any time (within reason), and usually (unfortunately, not always) they have better sense than to mess with someone else's horses. Anyone thinking of boarding could make an appointment to see the facility...but, random people having access to horses sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I would be furious as well :mad:!!
Like LostandFound said, who knows what else they're doing!

Would the manager let you put up a sign asking people not to feed them? (Not that that is a guarantee stupid, disrespectful people will comply...but, it may help).
Is there any way to secure the stall door so unauthorized people can't get in?

This boarding stable is open to the public? Like just any random person off the street can come in?
That would be weird....I've boarded, and of course owners are free to come over any time (within reason), and usually (unfortunately, not always) they have better sense than to mess with someone else's horses. Anyone thinking of boarding could make an appointment to see the facility...but, random people having access to horses sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Yes it's very public and the fence is horrible. We've had transients sleep by our horses, and I have MULTIPLE signs asking not to feed them. Nobody follows those. To make things worse there's a pony riding center and area where you can have parties. I've caught people feeding chips and cake to horses with special dietary needs. People suck.

Yes it's very public and the fence is horrible. We've had transients sleep by our horses, and I have MULTIPLE signs asking not to feed them. Nobody follows those. To make things worse there's a pony riding center and area where you can have parties. I've caught people feeding chips and cake to horses with special dietary needs. People suck.
We are also forbidden to lock our stall doors for "safety concerns." This place is garbage and I cannot wait to get out of there and move to Los Osos.

That sounds pretty horrible. Boarding stables over here may have parties or lessons open to the public or other events. But people are expected to obey the rules and be respectful. Both for the horse's safety and liability issues. If some kid gets their fingers bitten off feeding chips to a horse or gets trampled going into a stall and blowing a noisemaker at a horse, the facility gets sued. But California lives in it's own little bubble. I'm glad he is ok though!

That is definitely worrisome and yes, some people don’t: understand, know any better, or care. While I understand not locking the stable doors, Capriole makes an excellent point on the potential for a lawsuit.

Did you sign a contract? Is there any language in there pertinent to oversight? How do other horse owners feel about this issue? Even though you are leaving, would conversations with others boarding there bear fruit on some control over public visits? It sounds like a tough issue.

Hugs to Winston and Aggie!

Frustrating for sure.

I have to stress, though, that locking a stall door is a HUGE safety concern. Please do not do that, ever-- in case of a barn fire, that pretty much guarantees your horse will die even if there are people right there to evacuate horses from the barn.

Frustrating for sure.

I have to stress, though, that locking a stall door is a HUGE safety concern. Please do not do that, ever-- in case of a barn fire, that pretty much guarantees your horse will die even if there are people right there to evacuate horses from the barn.
Friend of mine lost her horse that way. Barn caught fire in the middle of the night and the workers only had time to free the horses in unlocked stalls.

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. Other horse owners and I are talking about having a discussion with management here. Have some happy photos of my little cowboys. Happy Haloween!

Attachments

• 20221031_130037.jpg
    20221031_130037.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221031_120414_HDR.jpg
    20221031_120414_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Back