A persons character

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true, kaykay... there are red areas as well as blue areas - and of course one tends to do business with like-minded folks at times - so it would appear that all businesses are GOP-owned or Dem-owned depending on where you live. And to be honest - most people do not ask the political allegiance of a business before they deal with them, do they? At this time of year some signs might tip you off, though!

AND I'm telling you it was a mere coincidense. This is not an opinion. It is a fact. Please believe what you want but I know this to be true. A lot of people only believe what they want to hear. And I guess this is what you wanted to hear. Your way or the highway.
Bolding mine. Because that is what happens in many of these threads, Bassett - if you check out all my posts you can easily see that most of the time I say that BOTH sides have issues. I provide links to facts... about both sides. I note when I use links that lean left or right so that can be considered. Although on this forum the assertions and
default_new_rofl.gif
mainly go one way - so my posts here will tend to reflect that. On other forums, the discussion is a lot more balanced and a lot less
default_new_rofl.gif
about the opinions of others - and I refute things said about McCain as well...

So no - it is not my way or the highway.... I even said I was sorry I was so skeptical but I guess that was not acceptable.

My way or the highway would be telling others smugly that their opinions and concerns are not important... accepting fables and rumours as fact and presenting them as such... the sneering that has gone on at times...

Heck - I have been shot down here just for following the common courtesy of a forum/message board - bolding people's names. Referring to them if you quoted them. It is not a call-out - it is courtesy. As is supplying links to follow up quotes so things can be read in context. All of this is just good forum discussion manners... and the lack of manners some have displayed in these threads would get them laughed out of discussions elsewhere - where all opinions are respected and all opinions are vital to the discussion. On both sides. You know - fair and balanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to strongly disagree. My family has run a construction business since I was just a baby. Even though my parents are gone it is still running and successful to this day. It employs approx 25 full time employees. And yes its run by Democrats LOL. There are I am sure many many more but I dont make it a habit of asking business owners if they are Democrat or Republican.
Actually, I don't make a habit of asking other business owners but I am pretty well known in the business community and it's also very well known where I stand. It comes up
default_smile.png
And, yes, Virginia is traditionally a Republican area. Happily. I'd imagine the line of work makes a difference, too. White collar vs. blue collar may see some differences. Speaking in depth every day to people about something as personal as their money and it comes up, too. Then the thing about owning the business yourself, or working in something owned by your parents. Working for yourself / working for someone else. I think it does change the perspective.

Bonnie, I know Tag and many other Canadians like to jump all over these threads. I do my best not to spend time reading what they've said because I saw enough of it up front. Remember, you and I get to vote on the 4th, they don't.

I give up. It is obvious you do not respect my opinion at all.
Obvious? How so? That is simply not the case. Seriously - show me where you feel I have said that. Have I ever
default_new_rofl.gif
at anything you said or
default_rolleyes.gif
?? No.

Bassett - I have said time and again that all opinions matter and all opinions count. We have had many good discussions in the past. I even apologized for snarking at you and being a bit skeptical - and yet you just toss it all aside...
default_no.gif

Bonnie, I know Tag and many other Canadians like to jump all over these threads. I do my best not to spend time reading what they've said because I saw enough of it up front. Remember, you and I get to vote on the 4th, they don't.
Jill... I do not just JUMP all over these threads as you so dismissively - and bordering on rudely - assure Bonnie. That would be.... incorrect. In the extreme. I try to present facts as opposed to incendiary stuff. I want to discuss the issues. I care about this election. I care about what is going on. I LIVE HERE. I am involved. The only difference is that I cannot vote. That does not mean I do not have concerns or thoughts about what is happening. And of course, you do not care about or respect my opinions or concerns in the least so will not even be reading this...

BUT - I respect your opinion even if I do not agree with the dismissive My Way Or The Highway flippant tone of disdain that is used...

edited to fix typos and add the word flippant after reading the posts below this one...

Thanks Jill. I'll remember that and TRY to ignore them. I think they are right some peoples opinions just don't matter.
default_smile.png

Yep, no matter what they say online, on November 4th, they won't really be saying anything
default_biggrin.png

Bonnie, Jill

You two just fell off my ladder of respect.

To think that at one time I looked up to you guys.
default_sad.png

Bonnie, Jill
You two just fell off my ladder of respect.

To think that at one time I looked up to you guys.
default_sad.png
That's okay
ok.gif

You're free to put as much stock into the opinions of others who are not US citizens and don't know what it's like to be a US citizen as you want when it comes to deciding who you should vote for. I personally couldn't care less
meeting.gif

There's a small handful of Canadians who are so sure they know what it's like to be a US Citizen and who can best lead our Nation and they chime in on these threads practically every other post. I put as much stock into what they have to say on this subject as they'll be given on the 4th and find that to be perfectly reasonable
default_yes.gif

So you no longer care that someone who once took your words and considered them, thought over them, respected them, talked so highly of you to friends about your knowledge of miniature horses, and respected you for over 4 years. Will no longer consider you, a person to seek out your posts for help with horse problems, will no longer look up to you, and will now take your posts with a grain of salt and nothing more.

I know I would have a hard time sleeping at night knowing that my own actions/words caused someone to go from admiring me to no longer careing for what I said, but then again we are extremely different people with extremely different views on life.

In response to the original topic. If a man's character is not clear you look at his friends, wouldn't his friends characters also not be clear? Therefore you don't know the characters of the man or his friends - they are all unclear.

I mean I gathered from what people have been saying here that people have friends that are similar to them, I know I do, but I also have some friends who are the complete the opposite of me and do things that I would never do. I ask myself after they do something stupid, scary, something I wouldn't dream of doing...

" Now why am I friends with them again?"

then "Oh wait! I love them and know that they are only human, which is all we can ever be."

So you no longer care that someone who once took your words and considered them, thought over them, respected them, talked so highly of you to friends about your knowledge of miniature horses, and respected you for over 4 years. Will no longer consider you, a person to seek out your posts for help with horse problems, will no longer look up to you, and will now take your posts with a grain of salt and nothing more. I know I would have a hard time sleeping at night knowing that my own actions/words caused someone to go from admiring me to no longer careing for what I said, but then again we are extremely different people with extremely different views on life.
Minihorses, if my political opinions, which I do not just pull out of the air, effect how you think of me as a horsewoman, that is just as much your choice as it is foolish. I don't really even know who you are so to be as blunt as you yourself are being -- no, it will not be something that keeps me awake tonight.

Minihorses, if my political opinions, which I do not just pull out of the air, effect how you think of me as a horsewoman, that is just as much your choice as it is foolish. I don't really even know who you are so to be as blunt as you yourself are being -- no, it will not be something that keeps me awake tonight.
OUCH!

I guess the only good thing about these political posts is it gives people a glimpse into who people really are
default_smile.png

I have friends who are republican, democrat, independent etc. I just cant see throwing people out (or their opinion) simply because of their political affiliation or because they dont live or cant vote in the United States.

Every opinion has value. There really is no black and white just different shades of grey

How can we not care what people of other countries think when what we do has such an enormous effect on theif lives (i.e., our financial and the reaction of worldwide stock markets) and when we have the audacity to call our president the "leader of the free world?"

Would you just as soon they not have cared after 911? That they had kept their opinions to themselves rather than expressing their horror and compassion and offering their assistance (while we were focused on getting bin Laden, anyway)?

We could go back to our old isolationist ways, but is that what we want? Is that even an option in this day and age?

This attitude reeks of the pugnacious "W," sneering at Americans and the world at large, saying "This isn't a popularity contest." The trickle-down theory may not work in economics, but it sure seems to works with attitude!

If I were playing a variation on the "maverick" game, swilling beer every time I heard "they can't vote, so they don't matter," I'd be flat on my butt drunk!

If I were playing a variation on the "maverick" game, swilling beer every time I heard "they can't vote, so they don't matter," I'd be flat on my butt drunk!
Hang on, I don't have enough alcohol in the house to play with you. Let me run down to the store and stock up.

I guess the only good thing about these political posts is it gives people a glimpse into who people really are
I have to agree. These post have made me think differently of several people, and I know I am not the only one who thinks this. I can see things changing alot in the future for a certian few people.

When it comes to who I am going to vote for, I do not care who people from other countries think I should vote for. I've said it many times and I've explained why.

Those of you who want to twist what I've actually said and say that makes me a bad person are only trying to justify a personal issue you have with me.

People can like me or not -- and I find most do like me. I'm going to give my honest opinions in discussions that call for it and I'm not going to try and take pot shots at other member's characters.

So you no longer care that someone who once took your words and considered them, thought over them, respected them, talked so highly of you to friends about your knowledge of miniature horses, and respected you for over 4 years. Will no longer consider you, a person to seek out your posts for help with horse problems, will no longer look up to you, and will now take your posts with a grain of salt and nothing more.
Because you don't agree with her politically??? How does that affect her knowledge of miniature horses???

Thanks, Sonya
default_smile.png
It seemed pretty silly to me, too
default_wink.png

NOW, all the people who prefer blue over purple probably won't want to put any stock into my horse insights, either
default_biggrin.png

QUOTE So you no longer care that someone who once took your words and considered them, thought over them, respected them, talked so highly of you to friends about your knowledge of miniature horses, and respected you for over 4 years. Will no longer consider you, a person to seek out your posts for help with horse problems, will no longer look up to you, and will now take your posts with a grain of salt and nothing more.

Because you don't agree with her politically??? How does that affect her knowledge of miniature horses???
I dont think that is because of policital reasons. I think she was refering to some of the shots that have been taken at others and how some people arnt worth the crap on ones shoe because they dont live in US. I dont see it being because they have different political veiws, that would be a stupid reason to not like somebody.

I dont think that is because of policital reasons. I think she was refering to some of the shots that have been taken at others and how some people arnt worth the crap on ones shoe because they dont live in US. I dont see it being because they have different political veiws, that would be a stupid reason to not like somebody.
Oh, Ashley, never did I say what you're trying to ascribe to me. That's very offensive and out of line. You are surely smart enough to realize that because I've said my vote is not going to be influenced by a foreign perspective does not mean that I think what you just said of them as worthwhile people.

dont think that is because of policital reasons. I think she was refering to some of the shots that have been taken at others and how some people arnt worth the crap on ones shoe because they dont live in US.
No one never said that, what a couple said, myself included, was that we do not consider opinions of those from other countries when we go into the voting booth. No one said that their opinions do not matter or they were not intitled to them or that they aren't worth the crap on ones shoe.

Latest posts

Back