A little venting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they wrote it that way to draw some attention or to be different or to catch somebody's eye, they sure have now... Losts of posts on this topic and I bet half of them went back and read the ad to see who posted it. Might not be so bad of an idea afterall. hmmm. Don't shoot me. Just an opinion.
default_rolleyes.gif

default_rolleyes.gif
The ad is not offensive or tacky to me but your complaining about it is.

.......... Lighten up - life is waaaaay to short to fret about it
default_wink.png

Last edited:
I don't think ads bother me much, people write an ad many times in the way they'd like to see it written, and we're all different. The same way we all take an ad different. I went through a divorce and was more than fortunate that I had to sell none. However, if I see an ad that talks about a divorce, or health reasons, I take it as venting, or don't really want to sell but I have to because of X,Y, or Z. So at times I have read how upset they may be over it and even if they didn't explain it that way, kind of venting for them on how hard it is for them.

I don't know why I read the board, other than addicted, but if I don't like an ad, I just keep scrolling down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lighten up folks. The man has repeatedly appologized for offending anyone. I've used similar wording myself. It is different and lets you know he's not going to cut his prices in half to make a quick sale. I'm sorry anyone was offended but it's just an AD, not a comentary on YOUR life or situation. No one is poking you with a stick over your misfortunes. We've all had bad/hard times and hopefully will have good/easy times too!

Personally, I'd LOVE for an ad of mine to get this much attention! LOL

Viki

An effective ad draws your attention and makes you take action weather that be an email, phone call or even a forum post. So I would have to say the ad is very effective
default_smile.png

Kay

People have been mentioning what turns them off in an ad.
So, now I'm curious.

What keeps you riveted?
When I'm looking -- utd pictures (don't offer a yearling or 2yo and advertise with foal pics), a well put together horse with long, well set neck, good hip, and pretty head, straight forward information vs. speculation as to what the horse would / could do in the ring (unless you have shown a lot to high level wins, don't speculate in your ad -- people who know won't take it seriously at all).

I don't think anyone should get upset at the ads. I know alot of times people will inquiry as to why I am selling a horse so I like to put the reason in there. I don't think anyone is making fun of another person's finacial hardship by noting they are not having a hardship either. It can happen to anyone at any time.

I've been looking at ALOT of sale ads lately, not just for miniature horses but more for normal sized ones. A lot of people post the reasons why they are selling and I have never looked badly at that. I feel like alot of these people are only listing their personal reasons because they want the readers to see that there isn't anything wrong with the horses that they are selling (bite, rear, kick, etc) and that they wouldn't be selling the horse if it wasn't imperative that they do so.

Sometimes people build their horses up so highly as being the perfect horse, yet it makes you wonder if the horse was so perfect, why they are wanting to sell it. If I see that they have fallen on hard times, then they are most likely being forced to sell a decent animal. When I see ads that don't mention why the person is selling, then I often wonder if the people have more horses than they can take care of (meaning I may not get a healthy or trained horse), or if they are lying about some of the details (soundness/behavioral). I hardly ever see "Need to make room for new foals" when looking at normal sized horses, it's almost always miniature horse farms that list that in my experience.

I like ads that have pictures of the horse performing the tasks that the owners say they can do (riding, jumping, pulling a cart), and decent, up to date pictures of the horse where I can tell what they look like. I hate when you see a picture of a horse, and you think it's the one for sale, then you get to the bottom of the ad and find out that it's just for referrence.

- I haven't learned the trick yet to guarentee I only get fillies
when you do, will you let me on that little secret. for the past 7 years I have had mostly colts. UGH!!!

Parmala,

I hear you about taking care of a farm by yourself. It is a lot of work and I must say, that I am sometimes guilty of saying in my adds that I am getting too old for this many horses and need to reduce. Especially the boys.

I liked the ad. Thought it was refreshing..

On the flip side, I would like to say that I had 3 things to advertise in my last ad. I sold 2 of them within 2 hours of posting- Thanks! The ad board works great when you just put things out there straightforward too....
default_smile.png

I can say I have had a large vet bill and we have had some health issues, but I do agree with Judy Bakker that people really don't need to know the reason we are selling our horses. What does bug me is when people already know that they aren't selling horses at the prices they have on them, but they continue to breed anyway. I looked at the economy last year and decided not to breed any of my horses. That was my choice, plus I felt like I needed a break. I normally just look and don't post, but I feel this way also. I didn't mind the ad either.

I myself am going through a bit of a hardship right now, that I know will pass eventually, but things can sure stress a person out.

When I saw the ad, I was not sure whether I should be offended because the author was poking fun at other ads (just because of my current situation) or if they were just being humorous, or just explaining that the horses were for sale 'just because'. And then I didnt really give it a second thought.

I am sure they didnt mean anything to purposely hurt someone's feelings, but when you have only flat print to review, it's hard to tell the meaning of some things or what someone is trying to say or how they mean to come across. LOL

Ads that start off with why they are selling dont bother me at all...... everyone gets into situations from time to time that they didnt think they would end up in as things change through life. To each his own......

Back