A little venting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k9mini2

Reaction score
OK I very rarely post anything here, but I just saw an ad on the sale board that I find tacky. I goes on to say We have not been sick, not getting a divorce etc etc. The ad goes on and on with the not's

I take it as putting people down who are experiencing difficulties in their lives and are explaining why they are selling.

Yes I know there are some people who post some tragedy when in fact that isn't the real reason they are selling.

But there are people out there who are experiencing some of these sad life changing event. I just seems very insensitive to me.

I have seen this type of ad multipal times from different people over the past year or two and just finally got irritated enough to post this... I am not making a point of just this one person. My reaction is to this one and all the ones I have previously seen that give me that.." OH thats real tacky" reaction.

Thanks for letting me vent. Maybe I am over sensitive.
default_no.gif

I have thought the same thing......

I can see your point. Though maybe because of the horses they are selling and what not some people have inquired to the reasons etc. So rather then answer several emails regarding that they decided to just put it in the ad itself? Just another thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the ad as well a few minutes ago and although I thought it was sure "different" I was not offended. Basically I was a bit bewildered initially. I have survived some of those situations described and it merely reminded me that God does not put anything on our shoulders heavier than what we can carry. The advertiser did say they had been "blessed". My take was that they were explaining upfront the reason for selling some horses so people would not be inclined to do any homework about their situation. But then I can see where it contained some insensitivity; however, I like to think it was unintentional. Nor am I offended by the "venting". Sometimes it helps to express how we feel. When I saw the ad my face initially went
default_new_shocked.gif
. Then I thought "wow, somebody besides my dearly departed grandma Vera says whatever they want to say in a very blunt and callous way because this is stirring up some unpleasant memories."
default_no.gif
. Then I thought "don't judge, maybe this is just their way of saying what they mean and meaning what they say." Group hug anyone?
default_blush.png

I read the ad as well a few minutes ago and although I thought it was sure "different" I was not offended. Basically I was a bit bewildered initially. I have survived some of those situations described and it merely reminded me that God does not put anything on our shoulders heavier than what we can carry. The advertiser did say they had been "blessed". My take was that they were explaining upfront the reason for selling some horses so people would not be inclined to do any homework about their situation. But then I can see where it contained some insensitivity; however, I like to think it was unintentional. Nor am I offended by the "venting". Sometimes it helps to express how we feel. When I saw the ad my face initially went . Then I thought "wow, somebody besides my dearly departed grandma Vera says whatever they want to say in a very blunt and callous way because this is stirring up some unpleasant memories." . Then I thought "don't judge, maybe this is just their way of saying what they mean and meaning what they say." Group hug anyone?
That is a great way of putting it.

When I read it I'm afraid I actually laughed a bit as I could sympathize with their position. It seems like everyone in the world is having a fire sale because they've got some terrible reason they can no longer keep their horses and they'll drop the prices quite low to accommodate that. For someone who is selling their horses because that's what they do and they want to make a profit (you know, like most horse breeders used to before the economy tanked?
default_wacko.png
) I bet it gets pretty frustrating having people expect you to sell the horse for half of what it's worth or less because they assume you're having problems. I think I might be tempted to put right out front that everything is fine as well!

No offense taken at your vent, but that was my take on why they said it.

Leia

takes a lot more then that to offend me. I think it was a poke at those who have been advertising for years selling out and all these dramatic reasons for doing so yet year after year they continue to breed more and sell more -using some of those misfortunes many go thru at one time or another in life as nothing more then a sales tatic hoping it will make people feel bad for them.

Of course not everyone posting things like that are using it as a tactic and all of us have had life happen but been here long enough and you will see the same farms using those as "excuses" year after year after year

"long enough and you will see the same farms using those as "excuses" year after year after year" You got that right Lisa!

I read the ad. too but didn't finish it. Myself? I personally do not like ANY ad. where they start off with their problems or reasons for selling...I note names too so I can skip over them from now on. I actually think ads like that should be removed and it should be in the posting rules to please don't bring your personal problems to the sale board.

takes a lot more then that to offend me. I think it was a poke at those who have been advertising for years selling out and all these dramatic reasons for doing so yet year after year they continue to breed more and sell more -using some of those misfortunes many go thru at one time or another in life as nothing more then a sales tatic hoping it will make people feel bad for them.
Of course not everyone posting things like that are using it as a tactic and all of us have had life happen but been here long enough and you will see the same farms using those as "excuses" year after year after year
I think it's funny - I agree with Lisa that it's just an ad to catch attention. Why cut someone down about it? EVERYBODY goes through up and down phases. EVERYBODY has hard times at some point. These folks just want to move some horses without trying a sob story.

I read the ad as well a few minutes ago and although I thought it was sure "different" I was not offended. Basically I was a bit bewildered initially. I have survived some of those situations described and it merely reminded me that God does not put anything on our shoulders heavier than what we can carry. The advertiser did say they had been "blessed". My take was that they were explaining upfront the reason for selling some horses so people would not be inclined to do any homework about their situation. But then I can see where it contained some insensitivity; however, I like to think it was unintentional. Nor am I offended by the "venting". Sometimes it helps to express how we feel. When I saw the ad my face initially went
default_new_shocked.gif
. Then I thought "wow, somebody besides my dearly departed grandma Vera says whatever they want to say in a very blunt and callous way because this is stirring up some unpleasant memories."
default_no.gif
. Then I thought "don't judge, maybe this is just their way of saying what they mean and meaning what they say." Group hug anyone?
default_blush.png
Well put Vickie, People should read between the lines & place themselves in another shoe /BOOT. Just because someone is saying, they see ,or write it or think it is black or white people interrupter things differently.

I shall TRY 2 judge myself before another!

Well I am guilty
default_wacko.png
of advertising due to health. Two years ago my Doctor for my osteoporosis told me to "STOP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING" he said "if you injure your back I can not fix it"

I thought I could downsize to about 10 of my smallest and most laid back and be satisfied, and I advertised that way. I felt quite healthy, but the xrays don't lie
default_new_shocked.gif

I did downsize a lot, but my numbers have crept up again.

I love these little horses and I am going to try to be very careful "bone wise" but in 5 years I will have to do a "whole herd dispersal".

The LB ad didn't bother me. I actually thought it was a good ad.

I felt the intent was just be "light hearted" and with this topic the ad will now get lots of looks, so maybe that will be a "plus"

I have been tricked a couple of times on the phrase "too small for my breeding program". I have gone to see, with my measuring stick, and came home empty. ..... Even when I have asked more than once if they had an accurate measurement.
default_biggrin.png

I guess I'm not so easily offended. I took it more to say - we have horses for sale but we're not in any rush so don't call with the idea of getting us down to rediculous prices.

I have a friend who is very thin-skinned and takes offense very easily. It must be hard to live that way as much that people say can be mistaken; especially when it's written out like this and you can't see their faces.
default_smile.png

My sincere apologies to anyone who took offense at my ad. I meant no ill will to anyone who is experiencing difficulties. It was my way of publicly thanking God for my blessings and expressing that I was not appealing to people's sympathy to try to sell a horse as some (but certainly not all) do.

l thought it was a nice straight forward ad...the ones l really really hate are the ones stating.. need to sell to make way for the new foals arriving soon. l won't even look at what they have when l see that.

l thought it was a nice straight forward ad...the ones l really really hate are the ones stating.. need to sell to make way for the new foals arriving soon. l won't even look at what they have when l see that.
I tend to skip those too... who created that problem... the person placing the ad perhaps???
default_gaah.gif

I haven't even been looking at the sales board in some time (shocking, I know), so I've not seen the ad. However, as described, it doesn't offend me a bit. It's ironic that a thread "against" it is probably really just additional advertising as people go to find the ad
default_biggrin.png

Hi

I agree Jill, I'm headed there now to see what the "who to do is"
default_smile.png
all about?

Personally I think how someone advertises is really none of my business. If I don't like the ad, I don't finish reading it.....etc.

B

default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif
default_blush.png
Well put Vickie, People should read between the lines & place themselves in another shoe /BOOT. Just because someone is saying, they see ,or write it or think it is black or white people interrupter things differently.

I shall TRY 2 judge myself before another!
Thanks. See the thing is grandma Vera never ever intended to hurt anyone's feelings. She was who she was. She and grandpa Henry were also "blessed" . They were married for 74 years when he passed away at 95. She wanted to live to be 100 and get lots of birthday cards for the occasion. She did just that and then went on to join him! And no way could she or would she have issued such an eloquent apology as the gentleman just did. We all make what are understandably mistakes in the eyes of others while in reality we are just being the individuals God created us to be. Now if he had just made us all tougher than a pine knot like grandma Vera was!

Well, I just found the ad. Geee................I don't see anything in that ad that requires an apology.

Sorry folks, the weather is VERY NICE in Texas today, hope you all are not snow bound!

"My sincere apologies to anyone who took offense at my ad. I meant no ill will to anyone who is experiencing difficulties. It was my way of publicly thanking God for my blessings and expressing that I was not appealing to people's sympathy to try to sell a horse as some (but certainly not all) do."

As someone mentioned earlier, you will see a lot of different ads on this sale board and other sale boards for that matter. WE cannot judge why the ads are written that way, nor is it any of my business. If you want a gorgeous ad, put one in the World Magazine - or the World Show Case.

That is just the way it is! SAD.......

Beth

PS - This is my opinion. I liked that ad too by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back