A few questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a couple questions that have been on my mind that I wanted to ask.

This question is more of opinion, but when you bath your horse, do you let him off to roll, or do you keep him off the dirt and rug him. I have watched videos in the past, some wash and let them roll, some rug immediately. I just wanted your opinion, when I bath mine, normally they will find the dirt regardless lol. I dont show anyway, so I dont really mind if they do.

Also, I searched up on google, it said that a mini is 38 inches and under. So would Kevin not be a mini being 40 inches? Would he be like a small pony or something? haha.

I also have a grain/feeding question. I have been applying for jobs lately, one of the things I wanted to do was put something extra into my horses diets when I earn money. Although, Im still not sure. I know nothing about feeding particular feed such as hay and grains. I dont know if they NEED anything more, we have a property with plenty of grass, I dont show or do anything special.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Are extra feeds for when they have been take off the grass?

I think thats all for now!

Hey Carly,

Regarding the feeding and Grains , It very much depends on whether they need it or not. Theres no point in feeding grain if they dont need it.

Miniature horses live very differently all over the world in conditions that differ greatly from one home to the next. Often you find that minis live in dry lots ( no grass) and are fed good quality hay, grains with supplements and even a mineral blocks. Other places have lush yards / paddocks and good access to grass so may not need grains and supplements. My horses dont get grain at all, they get a mixture of clover, Lucerne and good quality plain grass hay. They also have a mineral block in their paddock and limited or monitored access to green grass for a few hours per day.

If your minis are lacking across their topline Id try and get a good mineral block from the feed store, if you feel they are still requiring more then id be looking at a low sugar feed maybe "xrta cool" or "Zero".

What are you currently feeding everyone at the moment ?
default_smile.png

Right now, the boys and Willow have just been on grass, like normal. Snickas is out on grass of a day and of a night she gets some Mare and Foal, maybe a bit of lucerne. Maybe if she feels like sneaking into our shed and scoffing down the chook feed, lol. But other than that, thats all they get really.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We live in Arizona and only feed alfalfa. Would like it to be mixed with bermuda or some kind of grass hay, but hard to find.

The only horses getting grain are our two mares with foals and the two yearlings.

Everyone has a layer of fat over ribs and are in good shape. They range between 3 months and 22 years.

As for Kevin, he is considered a pony. Like a Shetland. Miniatures are 36" and under. The American Miniature Horse Association allows horses 34" and under. The Miniature Horse Registry is up to 36".

Do not allow your horses to eat chicken feed. It is very bad for them.

When I bathe, I usually take mine for a walk until they dry off. I don't like for them to roll right after a bath. I have allowed them to, but it's not my preference.

Mine are on native pasture. I do think a mineral block is a good idea.

I have a 13hh hard keeper pony and a 32" mini that can kinda be a hard keeper in the summer (no idea why but they both melt body condition in hot weather.) I feed $25 worth of grain a month. I go through maybe $10 in supplements (mini is IR) and her Regumate (magic mare juice) is $25 a month or so. They are both worked super heavy though, the filly does ride. If you are breaking the bank feeding horses, change management not feed.

As far as the bathing, it depends. If it's a general get the crud off bath, I just squeegee them dry and they do what they want. For shows they aren't allowed to roll though - both are white!

Alright, well my horses are no where near being underweight, they all have a lot of fat that's for sure. So I probably wont bother with adding more to their diets.

I dont feed them chicken feed because its for the chickens and my dad would kill me if I was wasting it. Just the shed was open and she went straight for it. Its put up high now.

Thanks for all your replies!

For registration minis are under 38" measured at the last hair of the main (at the withers they may measure a bit taller). AMHR registers minis 38" and under; AMHA registers minis 34" and under.

Many horses need nothing more than forage, a source of salt (livestock salt in either loose or block form, plain white is fine, unless your area requires something more, something specially made for your region) and clean water. Forage usually consists of grass pasture they graze themselves or some form of harvest forage (hay, chaff, forage pellets or forage cubes). If pasture grass isn't available, then they need a replacement forage source that you provide.

If forage alone doesn't keep your horses at a healthy weight, then they may need a source of additional calories and nutrients (grain, hay, commercial pellets, chaff, something to provide the missing nutrients).

Alright, well my horses are no where near being underweight, they all have a lot of fat that's for sure. So I probably wont bother with adding more to their diets.

I dont feed them chicken feed because its for the chickens and my dad would kill me if I was wasting it. Just the shed was open and she went straight for it. Its put up high now.

Thanks for all your replies!
The cost of chicken feed is not the reason. It is designed for a different stomach and needs than for horses. They will probably colic if they eat it. Definitely keep it out of their reach! Not even a handful.

Snickas is doing fine, not colicky at all. I didn't know it could be that bad, thanks for informing me. The bag was put out of her reach the time she got to it, so I dont have to worry about it anymore. It was never fed as a treat either.
default_smile.png

Off topic but " Miniatures are 36" and under. The American Miniature Horse Association allows horses 34" and under. The Miniature Horse Registry is up to 36 " when did they change this..or is it a typo? The AMHR has always been 38".

Debby, its probably 38. I was probably mistaken. We only have one mini over 34", so don't pay as much attention to the AMHR. We like the 34" and under. Our tall one is a gelding that doesn't look his age. He may be 22, but he acts like a 3 yr old herd stallion. Will protect the broodmares and babies from the occasional stallion turned out for exercise.

We have a five year old stallion that was getting to big for his britches, turned out with the herd. He is now more manageable and listening with his ears instead of his testicles.

Regarding baths........If you're not showing them, let them roll, IMO.

Regarding height....Your 40 incher is considered a "small pony". (A perfect height for a youngster to learn how to ride on.)

Regarding feed....I go by the "KISS" method. (Keep It Simple Silly). Forage (either pasture or quality hay) is the most important. We also provide a mineral/salt block. For horses that are young, pregnant, lactating, or being used for performance/show we will feed them a pelleted 14% grain.

My favorite complete feed for most of the above listed is actually a "senior" feed. That's just what WE do.

Latest posts

Back