75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesnt make for good organization or a good 'action plan' if nobody knows what anyone else is doing. If there are others working on this, perhaps they could get together with CMHR and everyone work as a team. It is just the best interest at heart for the horses, not who does what. Twenty heads are better than 10 when it comes to ideas and getting things done. Various experiences help too.

It is not the rescues that I dont trust- when you hear different stories coming from the same source to different places as to what is and is not being done there- and the story keeps changing, it makes me doubt that some people (I am NOT refering to the rescues) are not doing what they say they are or are trying to create a smoke screen for some reason. And unfortunately knowing human nature as I do and past experience, some folks just dont do what they say they are going to...
default_wacko.png
:

In my older age I have had to make myself on believe what I see with my own eyes or hear with my own ears from the source, not the grapevine.

News Update

For what it's worth I can share a little bit of info with you this morning:

The hay quality has been upgraded. Confirmed.

The owner is feeding the horses corn and some mixture called "soy mill"??? :new_shocked: Confirmed.

On a good note, you will be happy to hear that 12 of the miniatures have been sold to a private party locally that came forward who we know nothing about. It was a personal deal between Mr. T and the person and I have no other information on the new owner of those 12 horses to offer.

That's 12 down......one hundred and something left to go......

[quote name='Marty' date='Sep 28 2007, 12:28 PM' post='888940'

On a good note, you will be happy to hear that 12 of the miniatures have been sold to a private party locally that came forward who we know nothing about. It was a personal deal between Mr. T and the person and I have no other information on the new owner of those 12 horses to offer.

That's 12 down......one hundred and something left to go......

Not to be Debbie Downer - but I sure hope this is a better situation and not some ploy on the part of Mr. T. Lots of times in equine rescue, when an owner is encouraged to downsize, horses just get moved elsewhere and are reported to have been sold.

But thanks for updating, Marty - very glad to hear another report that they are being fed.

I was asked to post these pictures of some we have.

If these horses don't look like they need help I don't know what to say..

kansas8.jpg

kansas7.jpg

kansas6.jpg

kansas5.jpg

kansas3.jpg

kansas2.jpg

kansas1.jpg

I live about 1 hour north of Uniontown. I saved the pictures to my computer. Gini, do I have your permission to show the pictures to equine vet clinics in my area. Maybe they would help the effort.

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
On post # 507 I included a link to newspapers in the Unionville area. I was a bit reluctant to contact any additional media sources without knowing how CMHR felt about it so I contacted Ginny. She said to go ahead with it. So I'll be sending letters to those newspapers. If anyone else would like to do so, the web addresses are provided.

Tnkrtoy that is a great idea. Very early on in this thread permission was given to use the photos in any way that might benefit the horses. I posted some ideas earlier that I hoped could be posed to some Kansas vets. My suggestions included asking the vet if there is a "state vet"; if so, whether your vet knows who that person is and if so, do they know them well enough to contact them to try to confirm any of the information we've been given about these horses receiving vet care.

If you contact your vet I'm sure any/all of us would be very grateful to hear what they have to say.

It doesnt make for good organization or a good 'action plan' if nobody knows what anyone else is doing. If there are others working on this, perhaps they could get together with CMHR and everyone work as a team. It is just the best interest at heart for the horses, not who does what. Twenty heads are better than 10 when it comes to ideas and getting things done. Various experiences help too.
I 100% agree with this, however, I think that this story is creeping across our country at this point. The miracle of the internet/e-mail! My point was not every single one of those people that are compelled to "do something", whether that be to write to a legislator, news show, newspaper, or whatever, are probably not all going to be coming to "us" here on this forum or to CMHR to let them know. And of course not all of us have ALL of the facts on this, certainly myself included, which is why I personally am letting/trusting CMHR to do what is right. So there is probably going to be some misinformation out there, and it might well not be coming from those of us on this forum. But the GOOD thing is I think those sad pictures do speak for themselves!

I do know that at least one other rescue and I'm betting more ARE working with CMHR on this. The president of IERAL (a group I volunteer with here in Iowa) has indeed written some letters, and she has included CMHR on these.

So there is a great group of people that are coming together on this!

I've only just gotten through reading all of this thread; the photos are heart-rending, and I have to say that if a vet really did go out there to see those horses in person and subsequently stated that none of the horses are "in imminent danger", then he's an idiot. :new_shocked: Those horses are starving to death, plain and simple, and there is no way that THAT MANY horses are old and have cancer. There are obviously VERY YOUNG horses in those pics.

I'll be sending in a donation to CMHR, to be used as necessary. Hopefully CMHR will have a chance to help with these horses, but as in the past, my donation is to be used as they see fit. And I thank all of those that volunteer and work so hard to help all the poor horses, year round. :aktion033:

Sending prayers that these poor horses in Kansas can be saved...

Here's some information for you that you may not realize about the State Vet:

The State Vet (whom I have spoken to) can be of NO service to us or the animals. None, nada, nothing, period. His job has NOTHING to do with abuse and cruelty, starvation issues in any way, shape, or form. His job is to investigate things like contagious diseases in horses and cattle, rabies, EIA, things of that nature. Not something like this. This is entirely a legal matter that does not involve his office. He was in fact called on this case and he did refer the callers to the local Sheriff. The State Vet is completely out of the picture and no need to continue discussing his involvement in this case because there isn't any.

The Sheriff's Department:

Whom also I have spoken to, has not dropped the ball and I have no reason to believe they have.

For a while I thought we were getting a snow job, but that is not the case. I felt good taking to these guys who in fact are sick over this situation going on in their county. As one deputy told me, this is not good for Unionville and they want this mess in their county cleaned up pretty quickly. They do not like negative publicity one bit and hate this has happened there. I like their attitude! CHEERS AND RAH !!! :aktion033:

They are following every letter of enforcing their law which says they had to issue that 30 day warning which they have done. They are the ones that brought out an equine vet (who I also know who that person is) to assess the situation as a professional, so they would be able to dot every "I" and cross every "T" in this case as their starting point. According to the law, they gave the owner 30 days to make serious changes and efforts in the way the horses are being cared for, which he is.

Now, you and I may not like the way the changes are being implemented....feeding corn and whatever else that soy junk is, and maybe it is not good enough for you, or me, (or the horses) but as it stands at the moment, changes (even as insufficient as they may be), to improve herd quality are taken place by the owner and have to be noted by the SO.

So you must understand that there are laws and channels to be followed.

The Sheriff's office is there daily or every other day and continue to keep the lines of communication open with this man and constantly are pressuring him to a surrender. They do feel there will be "some kind" of improvement in 30 days since they are being fed, however that remains to be seen. They do realize we are on stand-by for them 24-7.

So is it still the Sheriff's Office that is feeding and watering these animals? If not, then WHO is? Also, why have they not been able to have the vet speak directly with CMHR about the condition of these horses? And what are their expectations as to what they will see at the end of the 30 days?

Here's some information for you that you may not realize about the State Vet:

The State Vet (whom I have spoken to) can be of NO service to us or the animals. None, nada, nothing, period. His job has NOTHING to do with abuse and cruelty, starvation issues in any way, shape, or form. His job is to investigate things like contagious diseases in horses and cattle, rabies, EIA, things of that nature. Not something like this. This is entirely a legal matter that does not involve his office. He was in fact called on this case and he did refer the callers to the local Sheriff. The State Vet is completely out of the picture and no need to continue discussing his involvement in this case because there isn't any.

That's a good update explanation on the state vet, because earlier posts did say differently. Just good to know how things work.

And it sounds like they are working as best as they can right now. Seems like the only way things could have resulted in an immediate seizure was if the equine vet that saw the horses had said these animals were in imminent danger?

Well, I have just had enough. ENOUGH. I now have had two e-mails from KOAM-TV, apparently from this Aubey person. The first e-mail was not only snotty and arrogant in tone, it also stated that I had contacted this person before the one I DID send, which I had not, and was very dismissive of this cause. The second e-mail basically accused me of calling myself by some other name (Sally "Rider") and this Aubey person basically "ordered" me to investigate this forum! And the tone of that e-mail was downright rude! If anyone would like to see the inquiry I sent to the station it is polite and informative just as the rescue suggested. There was absolutely no call for these rude, snotty and arrogant responses which were clearly being directed at more folks than just me.

So I'd have to agree with whomever it was earlier that posted that very appropos comment about the messenger being targeted for retaliation -- it certainly turned out to be right on target!

As for the rest? Well I guess this old lady would would have to offer her opinion that ignorance, apathy and abuse in Kansas are not limited to what is being done to these horses--these things are very much alive and well in the Kansas media.

Count me as completely OUT of this fight. I have better things to do with my time, my energy and my money than subject myself to abusive attacks by a bratty little TV reporter who, along with his/her news editor, has already basically called all of us lying idiots.

Sarah Katherine Moore (yes - my real name even though Aubey insists I'm calling myself Sally Rider)

Even though doors may shut, I am confident others will open. As a Kansan, I send a heartfelt thank you for your help- it is appreciated!
default_yes.gif
:

Peggy

Marty, thanks for the update. I am glad to know what has been going on. It didnt' seem like there was any place to get news or facts. Very difficult to wade through 54 pages of a topic!

Marsha

Who the he** is Sally Rider? Yes, I got the door slammed in my face by the same station, though not the same person, but it was made clear they were NOT interested in helping in any way. Maybe THEY made up the cancer story? Who knows?!!

Marty that was a great update- thank you.

Here is the info I found on soy mill - not much- - - -

Dry mixes of zinc salts with particulate proteinaceous feeds for ruminants decrease the rumen digestibility of the protein thereby increasing the nutrient value of the feed to the ruminant. The zinc salts are incorporated as powders external to the particles of feed material. The protective action against micro-organism attack on the protein is provided in the rumen. The dry mix feed materials can be used with beef and dairy cattle and sheep.

Soy ingredient Use

Feed for poultry, Indirectly for

swine, beef, and animal products

aquaculture like meat, eggs

and milk

Its basicly a cattle feed- heres a link to the big article on the stuff and other soy stuff

http://www.fao.org/docrep/t0532e/t0532e11.htm

Kansas, a great place to be from- oh crap, I was from Kansas......... :no:

I can't help but think that some folks must have called this station, identified themselves with this forum, and been very rude when they didn't get the answers they wanted to hear??

Possibly they meant well but got a little too heated or something?

Just a guess.

Reijel's mom, I did not call (phone) the station. As I said in my above post, I e-mailed the station and was polite and informative in the e-mail. Not only did I get an initial rude reply but in a second reply via e-mail from that station I was informed that I was calling myself by another name.

At this point because not only am I being treated very rudely by media that we were encouraged to contact in a manner in which we were encouraged to do that, but also now evidently you seem to believe that I have somehow misbehaved. I did not make a "heated" telephone call to this TV station.

Please do not consider me part of this cause any longer. Good luck to those who are more interested in saving miniature horses than making groundless accusations against those who were trying to assist in the way that the rescue suggested we try.

I didnt take it as a statement to you, I just took it as a general statement that somebody MAY have called them- I just emailed- dont have time for calls.... maybe they are just crabby because they dont want to be bothered- after all, they did tell us that the horses had cancer... where did they get that from? Nobody had mentioned it before they did?

Kung Fu Buckskin I have no idea what you are talking about. No idea of any Aubrey person or Sally Rider, never heard those names, have no clue. Sorry. I am not aware that anyone called any radio station either and very sorry those that tried were abused by them. If I knew anything about that I would spill it to you in a minute, but personally I don't.

Mona: Good questions I will attempt to answer best I can;

So is it still the Sheriff's Office that is feeding and watering these animals? If not, then WHO is? Also, why have they not been able to have the vet speak directly with CMHR about the condition of these horses? And what are their expectations as to what they will see at the end of the 30 days?

The Sheriff himself is not feeding or watering. The owner is doing that work himself. I believe the Sheriff and his Deputies may have helped him unload hay at one point and helped put it out for the horses at first, something of that nature but no, they are not doing the physical part of daily feeding. They are there watching the horses eat on their daily checks.

The vet can speak to us at any time. I have her name and number to call and I did but she was out several times, but she also probably won't tell us anything we don't already know. She is not acting in the capacity of the vet for this farm. She only was acting in the capacity of a trained, licensed professional for the Sheriff's Department ONLY so they could have a legal documentation that these horses were assessed by someone trained in equine medicine for their reports.

The owner has contacted Kansas State University Equine Department for their guidance. That conversation is not known to anyone but apparently he has chosen to reach out for them for help and guidance in solving his problems. I get the feeling he really wants to do the right thing deep down inside but has so many people telling him what to do at once and jumping all over his case and screaming and yelling at him he may have figured he could trust the KAU with his story. That of course is just my personal take on why he has involved them. But I have documented proof that he is in fact talking to them because he trusts them. I also can tell you we do not think he has not brought in a vet as of yet to act as "his farm vet" that we know of to get the horses up to speed on any vaccines or de-worming.

The expectations in 30 days well your guess is as good as mine. If the owner continues to feed as he is doing now, in 30 days we all know the horses may have gained a few pounds. This is so tedious because we here all know that it is safer that they don't gain quickly so once again, so I hope he's not panicing and over feeding. It's a catch 22 that only remains to be seen.

As for the stuff he is feeding, he did tell the SO at one point that corn and soy stuff is always what he used to feed the horses. At the moment what he is feeding is neither here nor there, it's still considered "livestock" food which is within the law. Please keep in mind baby steps, all the way, baby steps.

I just want to remind you guys that I know you are beautiful people and only are feeling the pain of these little horses like any good horsemen would. I know how hard it is to keep calm and wait and wait and wait. I'm very impatient too but please, use me as an example of someone that knows the law and justice takes time and nobody knows that better than me.

Much Love To All

Thank you Mary Lou for re-opening the thread, and thank you also to Parmela for sending that "update". That was definately a glimmer of hope, and I do know you will keep us all updated as you hear more. Good Luck at the shows!

I can't help but think that some folks must have called this station, identified themselves with this forum, and been very rude when they didn't get the answers they wanted to hear??

Possibly they meant well but got a little too heated or something?

Just a guess.
I'm glad I have the opportunity to clarify that this statement was not meant towards any one person, and I am sorry that it was intrepreted that way. I really was just guessing that there had to be some reason that this station had started to act in this manner, whether or not it even had anything to do with any of us. Lots of people have seen the pictures now and know the pictures were posted on this forum.

I've no intention of making any of this personal, I'm only interested in those horses being taken care of in a way that they deserve. So I do apologize if any of MY comments are scaring people off, I'm just a passionate person when it comes to animal rescue, I spend most of my free time dealing with it.

Thanks so much for the new encouraging update re: the station now taking a 2nd look at the matter. It was just disheartening to know that anyone could look at those photos and not see that there was a legitimate problem there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back