75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one quick bit of advice which I'm sure CMHR has already considered. IF there is a seizure (rather than voluntary surrender) of these horses, and a subsequent court battle, there is always the chance that this man could actually win and have to have his horses returned to him.

Seems VERY hard to believe from looking at these horses in the pictures, but it CAN happen. Iowa Equine Rescue and Awareness League took part in a rescue this year. Close to 30 horses were seized out of about 70 at the time of rescue, several of these were euthanized THAT DAY by a vet because they were in such poor condition.

And guess what - a few months later, the owner was granted her remaining horses back!

You can just guess how I felt about our legal system at that point.

My point in writing this is there is a need to consider what COULD happen. The logistics and expenses to move these horses out of state will be difficult, and if there is any chance that they will have to be returned to this gentleman that problem will only double. Not to mention rehabbing a horse only to have to return them to the person/place that got them into that condition, though that could be a problem whether or not the horses stay in Kansas or go out of state.

Please know that I'm all for getting each and every one of these horses to safety wherever that may be, it's just something that needs to be considered.

Sorry I know this info is probably in here somewhere but I am at work and on limited time and my break is already over. I am new to the mini world so this is my first time on this forum. (quarter horses)

I live about 2 hours or a little over 100 miles away from uniontown if I did mapquest right. I live near Leon KS. I have three extra acres that my husband and I bought right next to our property. We have nothing over there right now because it is part of our future plans for a bigger barn. I also have a three horse gooseneck and truck. I don't have a lot of money but what I can donate is use of our property and time but I don't have any fences or shelters. If someone has a way to put up some temporary fencing and shelter my family would be happy to help out until the horses are healthy and adopted. I have 3 teenagers that would love to help with chores and are already familiar with taking care of our horses as they have grown up with quarter horses. I can also contact the local vets (my son dates his daughter so might have a little pull) to see if he could volunteer some time to help.

Did not know if this would help or not. Never been involved in anything like this plus we are still trying to dig ourself out of a bad year (credit card debt) from my husbands business so feel bad I can't contribute financially. But if this is something that could be helpful feel free to e-mail me [email protected]

Thanks,

Di.

P.S. I should have added, we have one mini and two large horses in barns on our property but they do not come in direct contact with this three acres.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon. I'm new to this forum and would like to comment. I have three minis, two of whom are rescues from a hoarder.

Katieann, I have been reading this forum and I am so impressed and "heartwarmed" by everyone who has stepped up to help these minis. I do agree with you that it IS frustrating - infuriating, really - that these minis ended up as far down the Henneke scale as they apparently have while the authorities apparently looked the other direction. However, having dealt for many, many years with apathetic and sometimes downright obstructive county authorities in several states on animal abuse and neglect issues, I can tell you that there no doubt were dozens of concerned citizens' telephone calls to every media outlet in eastern Kansas and to every elected official in Bourbon County, Kansas, to the state vet's office and to the Kansas Department of Agriculture.

Unfortunately I have seen this sort of thing happen over and over and over - from midwestern states to the west coast states (no personal experience in the east or southeast so can't comment, but I sure read the reports - apathy and obstructionism is everywhere). I don't believe it's simply a matter of not wanting to "offend" someone -- and I am NOT defending local officials who maybe were slow to act to save these horses. The bottom line is, generally the authorities just do not want to get involved because their attitude is "they're just animals." Or - "the county has no money" (while conveniently forgetting all the rescue organizations who are offering to foot the bill). Or - "the legal hassles are huge" (while conveniently forgetting that sometimes the hoarder has already offered to surrender the animals (that doesn't happen very often)). Or - "this voter supported my last election financially" so maybe "we can cut a backroom deal." Who knows what the REAL "reasons" (excuses) are. But when the authorities can't or won't step in, it is the animals who suffer. Are they paid to uphold the law? Sure! Do they do their jobs? Not always.

Until a state's laws are changed enough to have some real teeth in enforcement - with dire consequences to the "perps" (e.g., change the misdemeanors to felonies), and until law enforcement and court officials, including prosecutors, are elected who are very strong on animal welfare, this scenario will be replayed ad infinitum ad nauseum.

I like the way this is going after reading the last few pages. Enthusiasm has gotten things going in the right direction. Peggy, what a wonderful gift from your vet! Please thank him for the fantastic donation. Seeing the offers coming in is a wonderful inspiration to others.

I have a few questions for the CMHR board. I feel that we personally could foster more horses if they could be sent to other farms in a few months after they get back on track. Number one, would this be possible? If so, how would they be transported?

The next thing I am considering is the cost of farrier work. I saw the post about farriers helping out, but is that referrring to the time the horses would leave their present location, or long term. Our farrier is excellent, but we do pay $30 for each horse when they are trimmed. So the question is, are we responsible for the cost of farrier work on the rescue horses? I was reading the information on the CMHR site and if I read it right we would need to cover these costs which could end up being long term. Not knowing how long the horses would be in the Ks. foster homes, I would appreciate knowing the answer to this question. I am

filling out my application, and know that others are as well.

Also, I don't know why it hasn't come up before now, but it dawned on me that information needed to be sent out to our local club members. There are a number of members that may know nothing about this situation. This morning I sent an email to our area director and asked if an email could be sent out to our club members. Any member with email will soon know of the need and be able to consider offering a foster home.
default_yes.gif
:

To all CMHR board members: Keep up the good work, your perseverance will pay off! I think you are all special people and really appreciate your efforts. Thank you.

Janet

I like the way this is going after reading the last few pages. Enthusiasm has gotten things going in the right direction. Peggy, what a wonderful gift from your vet! Please thank him for the fantastic donation. Seeing the offers coming in is a wonderful inspiration to others.

I have a few questions for the CMHR board. I feel that we personally could foster more horses if they could be sent to other farms in a few months after they get back on track. Number one, would this be possible? If so, how would they be transported?

The next thing I am considering is the cost of farrier work. I saw the post about farriers helping out, but is that referrring to the time the horses would leave their present location, or long term. Our farrier is excellent, but we do pay $30 for each horse when they are trimmed. So the question is, are we responsible for the cost of farrier work on the rescue horses? I was reading the information on the CMHR site and if I read it right we would need to cover these costs which could end up being long term. Not knowing how long the horses would be in the Ks. foster homes, I would appreciate knowing the answer to this question. I am

filling out my application, and know that others are as well.

Also, I don't know why it hasn't come up before now, but it dawned on me that information needed to be sent out to our local club members. There are a number of members that may know nothing about this situation. This morning I sent an email to our area director and asked if an email could be sent out to our club members. Any member with email will soon know of the need and be able to consider offering a foster home.
default_yes.gif
:

To all CMHR board members: Keep up the good work, your perseverance will pay off! I think you are all special people and really appreciate your efforts. Thank you.

Janet

Janet,

I have made KMHC aware of this, and there are club members that are offering to foster.

I hope we hear something soon, for us willing to go to uniontown.....so we can get prepared......Ginny, since I am 4-5 hours away are we looking at an all weekend event, or can some people volunteer for coming each day?

Michele,

Thank you for letting me know about your club being aware of the horses. I should have mentioned that I was talking about the Heartland Club. Perhaps there will be more people out there who can help.

Janet

I hope we hear something soon, for us willing to go to uniontown.....so we can get prepared......Ginny, since I am 4-5 hours away are we looking at an all weekend event, or can some people volunteer for coming each day?

Yes totally will need help there for one day or two days whatever it takes whatever you can spare........etc. Virginia will let you know as soon as soon as she knows it's a go further instructions on that. So far, no new information yet available today.

At the moment anything is possible and they will be needing permanent homes when they are ready. Right now we are still working on fosters. We have to take baby steps and one day at a time. It is extremely difficult to look too far towards the future right now but we know that is part of it too. Just remember baby steps.

thank you Marty for answering my questions, but CMHR!!!! I had a HECK of a time finding your web site!!!!! I didn't even know it existed!!!!! I thought it was the CMHR forum! PLEASE make links to the site easy to find ! I had to google it. That might make the site less known!

Charlotte

Good point Charlotte! One time a few years ago, Chance's Miniature Horse Rescue asked for people to put a link on their websites to get their name out there a little more. Maybe that's something you would consider doing? I have a link to their website on my "About Us" page. Feel free to take a look and snatch the logo for your site, that goes for anyone that wants to link the CMHR to their site :aktion033: :aktion033:

I also had a hard time finding the CMHR site. I thought for sure that it would be on the Lilbeginnings home page but didn't see it. I even checked out links here and still no luck. Found it on the bottom of someones post.

Leslie

I think that was an excellent gift on the vaccines. If someone needs to keep them in the fridge for a while they can be sent to me as we have 2 spare fridges in our shed but I am not sure if I will be able to go up to uniontown or not at this point but if I dont go I know some people that are planning on going that could stop on the way and pick them up. So that is an idea at least. I am like 3 hours away from Unionville. So anyhow let me know if you like that idea and if so I will be glad to send my address
default_smile.png

On the fostering I would like to foster but we do not have a pen that is 30-35 feet away from any other pens -- so I am not sure if that would be even feasible for us. Is there anyway to tell if any of the horses wouldnt have to be quarantined.. The only pen I have open that has a shed shares a fence line with another pen. We could put up a temporary pen up in an area that is far enough away but there would be no shelter.. So I dont know at this point..

As for being quarantined, I am thinking this herd had been a "closed" herd (for many years) with no new horses coming in, other than what is born there, so I personally believe the risk in infectious diseases would be very minimal. My main concern would be to keep them away from your other stock until they are free of worms/parasites etc., and at least those are not life threatening to other horses.

dgrminis

I would not take the risk of bringing any horse onto my property without 1st quarantining the new horse.

You don't want to take the risk with your horses. It's just not worth it.

A second KS vet has come on board and called this afternoon!! More vaccine and dewormer offered- whatever we need!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: So, just let us know , CMHR, when you know and if you need these supplies.....voila!!! Three calls and two great donations! :aktion033:

Peggy

Alba Hurst Miniature Horse Ranch

www.albahurst.com

Thank you- dgrminis- I may take you up on it! Just waiting to hear from CMHR about what they need! You can send me your contact info, if you like- then we'll be ready!

dgrminis

I would not take the risk of bringing any horse onto my property without 1st quarantining the new horse.

You don't want to take the risk with your horses. It's just not worth it.

Gini

Thank you.. I would love to foster some but without being able to insure that my horses would stay safe I am not sure it is something I want to do.. If I had a shelter on the temp pen that would work great but this time of year is not the best time to not have a shelter..

Thanks again!

cmhr link to make it easier if anyone else needs it
default_smile.png

cmhr

if you search for miniature horse rescue it usually comes up on the very first page of google

what a great group of people!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

oops just an observation on quarantine. some horses can have illness lie dormant and not get sick until they are stressed by transport or other stressful events. In no way do I want to deter ANYONE, but I do want people to be aware. Other horses do fine and never have a problem. Just hard to know

Last edited:
oops just an observation on quarantine. some horses can have illness lie dormant and not get sick until they are stressed by transport or other stressful events. In no way do I want to deter ANYONE, but I do want people to be aware. Other horses do fine and never have a problem. Just hard to know

I am actually glad you brought this up.. It wasnt an issue which involved anything being transmitted to other horses but I bought a mare earlier this year that was due to foal in 60 days -- well I got her home and she actually foaled within 30 days -- the breeder had given me the breeding date and not the expected date (she just worded it wrong so I wasnt expecting the foal quite yet but luckily was there) But the mare got very sick and depressed and ended up loosing her mind. After we ended up putting her down K-State did a necropsy on her and found out that she had lesions on her brain and had probably had them forever but the stress of being moved to a new place and then foaling had basically been too much for her and did her in.. I hadnt even thought about the stress affecting the rescues really until you brought that up..

Looking at the quarantine issue from another direction...if the rescues have been in a closed herd and unvaccinated they will be susceptible to things on your farm that YOUR horses may have immunity to. So quarantine works both ways. Hopefully by the time quarantine would be over their condition would have begun improving and their immune systems also.

I'm getting the idea that there are a lot of good and generous people in KS.

Charlotte

If the horses are being getting their shots and being wormed from the vets in Kansas, then why would they be susceptible to what is on our farms? These horses have not been in a vaccum. all of what they may or may not have or will come in contact with is in the air (or most of it is). Some is carried by birds and misquitos. 35 feet from any horse is NOT ample quarantine. If you are intent on quarantine, then don't you figure that for the time they are still at that farm where they apearently DO NOT have any communicable disease. They are mearly starving to death. I am sure that with what the vets are now feeding and watering the horses you will see improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back