75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[ ]

I have some halters that I already offered to donate, I can put them in the mail tomorrow if you think they will get from MT to TN in time for you to take them with you (I'll send them priority).

Chanda

Chandra, that would be great too. Priority should get them here in time if I leave on Thurs, still not sure when we can go in, but I want to be ready.

Thank you,

Ginny

I've been in my own foggy world for the last week apparently! I JUST saw this now, this morning!!

I have a few halters to donate and will stop at the store to get rope and clasps to make some lead ropes. Tell me where to send them, to insure they get there in time! I will also donate some $ after I get to the bank this morning
default_rolleyes.gif
: My PayPal account is dwindling.

Thank you to all that can donate time! You are all such wonderful people!!!
default_wub.png
:

Sending light out to those horses, and all horses in need at this time.
default_sad.png

As I have said before, I am in Nevada and if there are any that the vet will give a health cert on I can take two. I can't take any more than that. The way our layout is it would be nothing to put in 2 more stalls. But then there would be the problem of getting them here. I can afford to feed and house. I can't afford transport and health certs. I have 1 stud run with a stall that I am not using and there is always room for 1 more with the mares. I know that you say "KANSAS ONLY" but I think you are going to have to look a bit broader. Nevada has a lady that has now twice gotten a pair of rabbits. she left them together. She, both times ended up with something like 500 rabbits. Nevada took help from other states. We have a rabbit rescue here but there was no way they could handle a total of 1000 from that one stupid person. Some people might say "well, they are just rabbits. Eat them." They spayed and neutered every rabbit and placed them some in CA some in UT and some here. The thing is Nevada wasn't too proud to try to do it all themselves. What I am saying is with that number of excess horses being placed up for adoption, you are not going to be able to make sure they ALL have proper homes if you try to do it all yourselves.

Will CMHR be the only rescue organization to take over these mins if they are given up? My understanding is that there is a rescue org. in Kansas also. Big task for so few but I sure am thankful for the help everyone is able to give. I can't take a horse because of my limited space and therefore not being able to quarantine as CMHR requests but I will be sending a check out as soon as my retirement check comes in and it can be used for whatever is needed. Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a phone call from a vet's office in KS!! They are donating 90 doses of vaccine (that includes tetanus) and 300 doses of an oral Ivomec!!! So, should these be needed, we now have them available!!! :aktion033: What a wonderful gift from these vets! Thank you to all for donations large and small to help these miniature horses! They are depending on us!!
default_yes.gif
:

Peggy

Alba Hurst Miniature Horse Ranch
WOOHOOO!!! GREAT news!! :aktion033:

[ ]

I have some halters that I already offered to donate, I can put them in the mail tomorrow if you think they will get from MT to TN in time for you to take them with you (I'll send them priority).

Chanda
Chandra, that would be great too. Priority should get them here in time if I leave on Thurs, still not sure when we can go in, but I want to be ready.

Thank you,

Ginny

I'll finish getting the box ready and put it out in tomorrow's mail (hopefully, the pony express will be running fast tomorrow and get these where they need to go quickly).

:aktion033: EVERYONE TAHNK YOU for all the donations! I just LOVE how this forum comes together in a crisis!! HUGS to all!!

I know that you say "KANSAS ONLY" but I think you are going to have to look a bit broader. . . The thing is Nevada wasn't too proud to try to do it all themselves. What I am saying is with that number of excess horses being placed up for adoption, you are not going to be able to make sure they ALL have proper homes if you try to do it all yourselves.
Perhaps I should not speak for CMHR but I will speak from rescue experience. CMHR is not the one saying that they aren't willing to use other states - according to previous posts, the vet on the case indicated that he would not be issuing health certificates for at least some of the horses. So for that reason at least some of the horses wouldn't be able to travel outside of the state.

Also, if these horses are not voluntarily surrendered, and there is any sort of legal battle, that might prohibit them from leaving the state as well. I don't think it's a matter of pride or anyone wanting to do it all by themselves.

I would guess/hope that CMHR is willing to work with other local equine rescues.

CMHR is encouraging ALL OF US to fill out foster home applications at this point.

If there is anything that I can do from up here in Canada - I would be more than happy to do it. I would foster several if I could get them here!!!!!

Wow - forum folks are the best - it is wonderful to see what people are doing for these poor little horses. They will all have a chance now - this is such a sad story but it looks like it is going to have a happy ending!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

All I am saying is that Kansas needs to take a lesson from other states that have had the same problem with the same and other types of animals. After all Nevada does also have the WILD HORSE population that we deal with too. However, they do not limit the adoptive or foster homes to NEVADA. Kansas officials need to get off their butts and do the right thing by these horses and not totally burden the people of Kansas with the problem. They are not the ones that let these horses get in this shape. It that man that wouldn't face what was happening to his horses. I don't really care if the man was sick or the weather was bad so he didn't want to go out to feed. If you own an animal YOU have to take care of it. I am sure there were other people that knew what was happening but they were too afraid of offending someone to say anything. It also appears to me that this sheriff and vet are too concerned they might offend someone to just go in and say these animals are in danger. If they are too ill to get a health certificate they are too ill for that stupid old man to keep them. He made them that way and he should go to jail for doing so. I say arrest the man and take the horses. If he did this and animal cruelty IS a crime. Then arrest the criminal (no matter how old) and take the property. It is as simple as that unless you are too afraid to offend someone.

HI. I see the Foster Applications on the CMHR website-Is there a fax number we can fax the completed app to. Did not see one listed on the website. And thanks to Marty-as she put it "if we all paid 5.00". I know as a stay home Mom we live on a tight budget and crises sometimes make me think I can't afford to help-but I can afford SOMETHING..even if it is only 5.00 and someone elses 5, than someone elses...well it does add up. Foster App ready to fax in and paypal on the way. Thanks to thoses in the trenches and keep up the good work! God Bless You!

All I am saying is that Kansas needs to take a lesson from other states that have had the same problem with the same and other types of animals. After all Nevada does also have the WILD HORSE population that we deal with too. However, they do not limit the adoptive or foster homes to NEVADA. Kansas officials need to get off their butts and do the right thing by these horses and not totally burden the people of Kansas with the problem.
:bgrin Katiean~Good point. Hopefully there are enough of them that will recieve health cert's once they are more evaluated by a vet so that they can go to other states for assistance. I as a Kansan and the other 4 + people I know willing to foster are only going to be able to take 2 to 4 at the most, if that, now there is a possibility for quarantine. Several don't have the facility to quarantine, if necessary, and funding is an issue so we aren't going to get into the position that we can't provide quality care ourselves.

Thank you for being so outward about needing to get them across the state line. I am sure CMHR personel are going to do their best to do this as well once they can get more hands on.

default_unsure.png
: I personally don't know of any Kansas officials that would even be involved, other than humane societies.

Thanks for the information...I hope it gets to that point, cause it will be very difficult to place them in just Kansas foster homes.

I see the Foster Applications on the CMHR website-Is there a fax number we can fax the completed app to. Did not see one listed on the website.
I don't know about a fax number; I just copied and pasted my application to an e-mail and sent it that way. That may not be the preferred method but hopefully they got it.

I see the Foster Applications on the CMHR website-Is there a fax number we can fax the completed app to. Did not see one listed on the website.
I don't know about a fax number; I just copied and pasted my application to an e-mail and sent it that way. That may not be the preferred method but hopefully they got it.
I do believe she said copy and fill in the info and then paste it to an email to CMHR is fine!

In order to get a health certificate to cross state lines horses must have a negative coggins, give these Vets a break, coggins take up to 10 days depending on labs/location. I have not read ANYWHERE that they can NEVER leave Kansas.

JUST IN!!!!!!

Alison with AMHA has said we can put jars for donations up at Worlds. Thank you Alison!! :aktion033:

Cna someone please help me? I'm making the signs to go on the donation jars for the World show. I need the legal designation of CMHR You know, not for profit thing.....and the Pay Pal link please in case someone wants to donate by that means.

Charlotte

If someone would have had the nerve to do something sooner there would not be a need for any coggins tests. I am so tired of people afraid to offend someone that something like this happens. You can not tell me that this man sat all by himself at his house and no one ever visited. I am not saying test and ship out every horse. Just give others a chance to help besides putting up their money that they don't know that 100% will go to the horses. I don't want to support a foundation. I want to help the horses.

One more time:

We are accepting applications for foster homes from EVERYONE EVERYWHERE. Yes even Canada! Wherever you are, bring it on. They are being screened and processed as fast as we can. We need homes so please do apply if you want to. We especially need more foster homes in Kansas for right now too.

It is up to the State Vet of Kansas when the horses will be allowed to leave Kansas, not anyone else's call but his.

Virginia will be updating as soon as she possibly can when she has more information for you that can be shared and she can then answer more of your questions then.

We are working out butts off so please bear with us. We all have an assigned job to do and we are doing it best and fast as we can. Promise. You guys have been awesome.

Charlotte: You can go to CHMR main page website and get any information you want from there.

There is also a link on the main page for paypal http://www.chancesminihorserescue.org/volunteer/index.htm

Applications can be emailed to shannon <[email protected]>

Much love

Keep the Faith Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back