75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't keep them forever, but I could do it long-term (until appropriate homes could be found). I can worm, vaccinate, farrier and feed them, but if one needs some catastrophic medical care, I wouldn't be in a position to handle that. I have a trailer that can hold up to 20+ and can pick them up or transport to another location if that is needed. If someone close to the investigation wants to PM me, feel free. I'll do what I can. My hearts aches for these little horses.
Thank you Michelle for the contact info and the update!!! Puts everyone's minds at ease to know we have some headway towards a better outcome.

Myself and a friend of mine in Cullison, Ks. We live 250 miles away. We too can do the same if relocating to foster is the best chosen procedure by the vet/law?!

Please PM me if this is the intention and we will be prepared to head that away.

Thanks,

Angela in Kansas

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: YAY...HELP is on the way!!!
default_pray.gif
:

As your region 13 AMHA Director, I have just been on the phone with Under Sheriff Kase and he assured me that Sheriff Harold Coleman of Bourbon County is on his way to the farm right now. Hopefully we will get some response. I will try to stay in contact and keep you posted.

Larry Elniff

All I can say is if the man is well enough to talk on the ph then he NEEDS TO GET THEM HELP. BTW its BS that they can't get their teeth done. I am sure he isn't willing to pay. This is a horrible situation.. I hope they are all removed ASAP!

While I commend the owner for getting a vet out now, those horses did not get in that condition overnight. There's some long term neglect going on with those skinny horses. I hope the owner and the horses get the help they need!!!

I agree this is not an overnight situation.

If he knew the horses needed help why did he put them in foal??

I do not understand people sometimes.

So....I wonder what will be done??

Hands up those pessimists like me who believe nothing will be done???

God I hope I am wrong.
default_sad.png
:no:

I have my hand up Jane!! :saludando: My guess (and it is only a guess based on watching too much TV) is that the sheriff will go out there, be told a vet is on his way and the sheriff will be satisfied that the horses are being cared for and under a vet's supervision and leave without doing anything. BUT the good thing is that a vet is on his way there.
default_yes.gif
: Hoping the horses will receive the care they need.

I have my hand up Jane!! :saludando: My guess (and it is only a guess based on watching too much TV) is that the sheriff will go out there, be told a vet is on his way and the sheriff will be satisfied that the horses are being cared for and under a vet's supervision and leave without doing anything. BUT the good thing is that a vet is on his way there.
default_yes.gif
: Hoping the horses will receive the care they need.
The owner is about an hour from home right now. So I don't know that the sheriff or vet (who called the Vet?) is going to be able to do anything till the owner arrives.

Besides the sheriff's responsibility is to check back for progress from the vet and owner... so hope all will go as needed.

I went to Susan's web site. I must say that the pics of the horses that belong to Jake and the conditions do not even resemble the conditions these horses are in. There are good fences. It is clean. I can only surmise that he has a part of his place that he doesn't take care of. If it is from the floods, CLEAN IT UP! If it is just what a corner of his property looks like. DO NOT PUT YOUR HORSES IN THAT AREA!! You have to be brain dead to think that is OK. Let me tell you if my horses started to get thin and bones were showing. I would get help. If he says "Yes they are thin and I don't know why" then he needs to get rid of most if not all of his horses. They are housed in a garbage dump. Whats up with that? If he is getting on in age then he is just not seeing what we are all seeing. I don't care if it is 1 horse or 100 horses. Get rid of them if you are not addressing their needs.

I went to Susan's web site. I must say that the pics of the horses that belong to Jake and the conditions do not even resemble the conditions these horses are in. There are good fences. It is clean. I can only surmise that he has a part of his place that he doesn't take care of. If it is from the floods, CLEAN IT UP! If it is just what a corner of his property looks like. DO NOT PUT YOUR HORSES IN THAT AREA!! You have to be brain dead to think that is OK. Let me tell you if my horses started to get thin and bones were showing. I would get help. If he says "Yes they are thin and I don't know why" then he needs to get rid of most if not all of his horses. They are housed in a garbage dump. Whats up with that? If he is getting on in age then he is just not seeing what we are all seeing. I don't care if it is 1 horse or 100 horses. Get rid of them if you are not addressing their needs.
I don't think any of the pics on Susan's web site are of this fellow's. I think those are pics of Susan's horses/property and other people's horses/property. (unless I missed something) Susan takes wonderful care of her horses.
default_yes.gif
:

I went to Susan's web site and near the bottom she says she is listing these horses for others. Jake is one of them. It has his email address to contact him. I am NOT saying anything bad about Susan I am sure she is trying to help him get rid if some of his horses. Those horses were all priced over $1,000 and in good health. The pens they were tied to looked nice. Weather he took them to her place to take the pics I don't know. But they were some of "HIS" horses. Check the site. I may be wrong.

OK, I was wrong. His phone number is at the bottom of her sale page. :eek:

I must admit I do not always have the best spots for pictures of my horses. :)

And I also have a "packrat" for a hubby which drives me nuts!!! But I try to keep lots of his junk behind his little junkyard fence he put up for me. :)

As to Jake, he is another friend who recently moved and has a very nice place and pastures. I went to visit him in beautiful Star Valley , WY last friday and his place is gorgeous. Yes I have advertised for friends over the years on my sale page. Vern is just one of them. And his place in Colorado was very nice. I wish I was close enough to go see him in Kansas.

But no offense taken. I see that you found your mistake.

And Mona, all I can say is I Try to take good care of them. :)

Susan O.

Several pages back I talked about a man named Victor who rescues horses. I just spoke to him on the phone and he said that Larry, our Director, is correct. The Sheriff and others are on the way out to the farm to check on the horses.

After considering the fact that the horses are miniatures, Victor says that if the horses are removed from the property there will be a need for foster homes. He said with the number of horses on the farm it would be overwhelming for one farm to take them due to fencing requirements for miniature horses. So he asked that everyone, that can help, to be ready including the organizations that help in these circumstances. There will also be a need for trailers to move them out. I don't want to be premature, until the authorities check it out, but he did ask that all people be ready to help.

It is really sad to see horses continue to be bred when they in such deplorable conditions regardless of the reason. I can't imagine that they are getting adequate feed, if any, so let's get ready to help them if we can!

Janet

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I think it was in a post on a different forum but in regards to this "case", there was an email link to email if you could offer foster care. Maybe you or Victor can get a hold of Shannon, the gal that is in charge of gathering those names that offered their help.

Several pages back I talked about a man named Victor who rescues horses. I just spoke to him on the phone and he said that Larry, our Director, is correct. The Sheriff and others are on the way out to the farm to check on the horses.

After considering the fact that the horses are miniatures, Victor says that if the horses are removed from the property there will be a need for foster homes. He said with the number of horses on the farm it would be overwhelming for one farm to take them due to fencing requirements for miniature horses. So he asked that everyone, that can help, to be ready including the organizations that help in these circumstances. There will also be a need for trailers to move them out. I don't want to be premature, until the authorities check it out, but he did ask that all people be ready to help.

It is really sad to see horses continue to be bred when they in such deplorable conditions regardless of the reason. I can't imagine that they are getting adequate feed, if any, so let's get ready to help them if we can!

Janet

Mona,

Thanks for the good suggestion. Another thought is that anyone in the area that can help feel free to email me if you would like. I will compile a list and pass it on to Victor. As I said this may sound premature, but we will be ready if the horses are removed and Victor is considered in charge of the rescue.

(Susan, in Kansas, I did finally get to ready your post. I appreciate your thought on wanting to contact Victor. If you don't mind, I don't want to flood him with phone calls, but if you choose to help in any way it would be welcome.)

If there is a different choice for rescue, other than Victor and his rescue team, then that is fine as long as the horses are cared for. I do know that he is known all over the State of Kansas.

There has been information given to Victor concerning the horses, but I feel that I shouldn't post things that weren't said directly to me. I would feel pretty bad if things turned out to be unfounded if I passed on the information. Why I am I bringing it up then you say, if the information proves to be true then we need to be ready!

Thanks to all of you that care just as I do,

Janet

WHOA everyone!!!!

I have to say this, I do not know Vern at all, but from what I have heard he is of retirement age????

There were some posts that alarmed me and I think that way too many may be jumping to conclusions here thinking this is done on purpose. If we are going to rescue, we should do so WITHOUT judgement, even when that is very very hard. It is comments like this one that are so very bad and hurtful with any rescue operation:

If he is still alive there is NO excuse.

NONE.

Not one.

And we do NOT speak loudly and run away- if you did a search in the archive you would see for yourselves what we do.

I really do not appreciate that sort of accusation.

I say again, I, at this point, do not CARE what his excuses are.

I no longer care that he is a nice person.

Just how many nice people do you know that will starve their animals???

If he is eating then there is no excuse I want to hear for letting th3e animals starve.
Now I am not going to side with anyone. There is only one thing that is right. The horses in the photo need help... period.

But... just because a person is alive and is eating themselves doesn't mean that they are intentionally abusing animals if they are in the state that the pictures show them.

In the following quotes I bolded what made me stop and think that there MUST be something far more wrong than meets the eyes here.

(horsehug @ Sep 18 2007, 10:41 AM)
Just wanted to say I found Vern's number this morning and called him.

I was relieved to find him sounding like his old self and not ill, though he does have health problems.

He said he has some thin horses and some fat ones and that they are on pasture and also grained like they were when I first met him. He said he has wondered why the ones have gotten so thin. He also worms regularly. I mentioned that their teeth might be bad and he said he just does not know where to find an equine dentist close to him. So they have not had their teeth worked on. I definitely remember him asking me the last time I talked to him over a year ago if I knew where he could get a speculum to try to work on their teeth himself. But I didn't know where. I personally know how fast a horse can go down when their teeth need work.

I'm sure all this sounds like excuses to most of you but I do know Vern cares about his horses and has not known what to do for them.

Also he has his studs in another area separate from the mares. I knew he did not used to keep all his studs with the mares altogether when I was at his place in Colorado. And like I said they were healthy and looked great when I saw them there.

I suggested he try to get a regular vet out to see about their teeth.

He also said he had gone to Colorado for 4 days in August and when he came back a trailer load of his fattest horses were all stolen.

I think it sounds like he has tried to keep up but gotten overwhelmed and should have sold and cut down his numbers a while back. But he is not an evil person!!

I am just letting you know what I had heard from him. I am sure when whatever authorities get there they will come to their own conclusions.

Susan O.
I just spoke with the owner, I will wait to see what the vet says that is on his way out there, BUT if what he is saying is true, He has around 100 head and you are looking at the worst out of them. He admitted he has some that are skinny, the ones you see(around 12 or so) where in a pen coming in from the pasture to get their grain. He was not aware that anyone took any pictures and that this was going on until this morning when Susan O. spoke to him. I offered to come help him if he needed any help. He said they aren't showing the other 90 some horses that don't look thin. So I will wait to hear what the vet going to look at them says. You know if he is aware they are thin and making attempts to get the weight back on then we shouldn't be so quick to assume they have no food. I am not making any judgements until I either see it in person, OR hear what the vet determines.

The above bold statements, especially the one about the pictures, made me think of my grandmother whom passed away last year. She swore up and down that people were stealing things from her. She swore that she did things like take a shower that morning when in fact it had been a month since the last shower. She could feed herself if she didn't forget she was cooking and try to burn the house down. People would talk to her and she would seem normal and in good health as that is what she said. BUT! That was not the case!!! She had severe dementia for YEARS and could not remember the short term everyday type of things. She in fact didn't even think she had anything wrong with her other than being occasionally forgetful. And funny, but strangers and family that didn't live with her every day never really noticed how bad she was until close to the end. And looking back, she had it for many years BEFORE the whole family realized it as she was able to hide her "forgetfullness".

What I have to say is that I am not making excuses for the condition of the horses. They need help. BUT if Vern has dementia, then most likely he would not know that he has it and it would be VERY unfare to judge him if this is the case. He would actually think that he is perfectly normal. He would not remember people taking pictures of the horses the day before, but yet may be able to remember that someone stopped by. He could even think that a trailer load of his fat horses were stolen and that he has been feeding and deworming regularly. And looking at the feet in the photos I notice that they are trimmed. If a farrier on a set schedule comes over, Vern would not have to remember to do so.

Further, I know for a fact that a mini with bad teeth can loose this much weight even when being fed. I have a hard keeper and she looked like this 2 years ago even though we were feeding her more than the other horses. It just wasn't until the winter coat shed that we realized how bad she really was. It took the whole summer to stablize her weight and to get her to put it back on AFTER her teeth were floated. And a good vet can help the severe cases even if they have large horse tools. Our vet was able to do our tiniest mare using care.

And in one photo you could clearly see a couple of minis out in the back pasture where there is grass. Doesn't sound like someone who is withholding food on purpose.

So until we know what the full story is, EVERYONE should give Vern the benefit of the doubt. Yes it is discusting that they are in such bad shape, but I have a gut feeling that there is something happening more than meets the eye with this case and that it may not be what it appears to be.

Remember, it is not for us to judge. What we should do is help and not bash the person that requires the help, even if they don't know or want to admit they need help. And yes, it is hard to try to keep one's mouth shut as I had been there with the cases that I was involved in with being on the BOD of CMHR.

If we all want to help, write polite letters to get people to notice. And when the authorities do respond to help, make sure you are there with money in hand, time, trailers, foster homes, and equipment to donate to their care if needed.

Just my thoughts until I know more.

:aktion033: Very well put...Nila! :aktion033:

We all need to be prepared to help in the ways we are able to.

[SIZE=12pt]All can go to the other forum titled "Donations for the Unionville Minis"...to help with donations for expenses, etc... :bgrin OR make donations to Gini Acton, president of CMHR through paypal @ https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cm...04883e650e9e5a5

OR email Shannon to get on a list of helpers and what you can offer for assistance (foster care, supplies, transportation...etc..) @ [email protected][/SIZE]

I have to say I agree with Cyndi. There is just no excuse for this kind of neglect. If you can't care for your horses, you shouldn't have them. Simple as that.

These horses are in terrible shape, showing signs of severe neglect, not just a little thin.

I know about 5 people 'of retirement age', one in his seventies, that have minis which they care for on their own and all their horses are in fantastic condition, healthy and happy. I don't think age is an excuse at all. :no:

This is a letter I got from the asst Attorney General.

Dear ms. Simoncic:

Attorney General Paul Morrison has requested that I respond to your

e-mail regard the poor condition and treatment of the miniture horses in

Uniontown, Kansas.

In Kansas, the County Attorney has primary jurisdiction for filing

criminal charges, such as cruelty to animals, for criminal conduct

occuring within his or her county. The Attorney General is authorized

to step in at the request of a county attorney, generally due to a

conflict or interest or inexperience in major criminal cases. If Terri

Johnson, the Bourbon County Attorney, makes such a request, the Attorney

General will certainly be willing to evaluate the case and file any

charges that are warranted.

Additionally, the Kansas Animal Health Department may have jurisdiction

to take action. I am forwarding your e-mail to that Department with the

hope they can be of assistance.

Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention.

Sincerely,

Camille Nohe

Assistant Attorney General

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back