75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All~

My friend who lives only a few miles from Vern is going to call and see about visiting with him. She has had some severe problems with worms because of all the moisture in that area.

And I have come to the conclusion that they obviously aren't starving cause they would have eaten ALL the Weeds! there is plenty of foilage in the pictures. So no weight gain leads to two things: teeth or worms!

Will keep you posted.

And I have come to the conclusion that they obviously aren't starving cause they would have eaten ALL the Weeds! there is plenty of foilage in the pictures. So no weight gain leads to two things: teeth or worms!
Well, sorry, I am in total disagreement with that statement. I may be wrong,(and I hope I am) but I just don't see it that way at all. :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a reply..

Attorney General Paul Morrison has requested that I respond to your

e-mail regard the poor condition and treatment of the miniture horses in

Uniontown, Kansas.

In Kansas, the County Attorney has primary jurisdiction for filing

criminal charges, such as cruelty to animals, for criminal conduct

occuring within his or her county. The Attorney General is authorized

to step in at the request of a county attorney, generally due to a

conflict or interest or inexperience in major criminal cases. If Terri

Johnson, the Bourbon County Attorney, makes such a request, the Attorney

General will certainly be willing to evaluate the case and file any

charges that are warranted.

Additionally, the Kansas Animal Health Department may have jurisdiction

to take action. I am forwarding your e-mail to that Department with the

hope they can be of assistance.

Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention.

Sincerely,

Camille Nohe

Assistant Attorney General

It could be that these horses stood in water for some time and it doesn't take long for a horse to go down hill. Now there could be some underlying problem that we (since we are not there to see for ourselves) can't see. These horses ALL need a vet if they don't die in the meantime. I have NEVER seen a horse as thin as these. Whatever the problem I know that these mares NEED to be removed and spred out to homes that can give them individual attention as to the feed and most likely worm issue. If he is an "OLD TIMER" I would suspect he uses tobacco to worm. These horses are WAY past that. They ALL need medical attention. No matter how nice this guy is, he can't handle the situation anymore. :no: :no:

"

39-14-207 Feeding of impounded animals -- Care provided by humane society -- Recovery of expenses. (a) In case any impounded animal is without necessary food and water for more than twelve (12) successive hours, it is lawful for any person, as often as necessary, to enter any place in which any animal is so confined, and to supply it with necessary food and water so long as it shall remain so confined. Such person shall not be liable to any action for such entry, and the reasonable cost of such food and water may be collected from the owner or keeper of the animal. The animal shall not be exempt from levy and sale upon execution issued upon a judgment therefor. "

Now there is a law that every state should have ! Somebody really cares when laws like that are made. As for the guy being "big hearted" or cares about the horses, it certainly does not appear that way. That is sickening and devastating. This didn't happen to them overnight and there definitely has to be neglect there for a person to allow their horses to get in that shape. If he couldn't care for them he could have at least given them to someone that would. :no: Sure hope they are tended to very soon. I have seen scenes similar to this where there is ownership but no care for the animals ....may be just another case of having them for breeding more that won't get taken care of.
default_wacko.png
:

I do not mean to imply that the pictures do not look very thin.

But I know myself that any horses I have ever kept in a grassy pen, in a matter of days ate it down to where it was a dry lot......... as they even ate weeds when that was all that is left in between their hay feedings. So I can see that this might be a real possibility.

However bad teeth also will make a horse starve to death in its own way, and I truly wish we had a way to get all his horses' teeth checked also by someone like Carl Mitz who is known for his Excellent work and experience and also for being reasonable in cost.

I'd be glad to help out with part of the cost.

I'll be glad to get a report when someone actually goes to visit him.

I do want to help him in anyway that I can.

Susan O.

Remember that this could be any of us. Life has a way of changing and we all know that. Instead of being negative (which unfortunately is easy for some to do) please remain positive and think of ideas to help and not stir the pot so to say.

If Vern had always been a responsible breeder, and it sounded like he was, then maybe finances, age, number of horses and weather more than likely had a hand in all this. He is admitting that some of the horses are thin and he isn't sure why. He is not denying there is a problem. There are members on this board that have written things I would border on neglect, just because a vet is up to 8 hour ago is not a excuse. I have hauled horses 12 hours to get looked at.

I will gladly hitch the trailer and head that direction if needed and I live 14 hours or more away. And not complain or blame him in any way. So instead of using that negative energy, which is NOT beneficial for anyone, please remain positive and try to find ways to help and offer to house horses or take feed or wormer or whatever needs to be done.

Remember we are in agreement, we love Miniature Horses and will do whatever needs to be done to help them. So use that energy to help not hurt the situtation.

Well it looks like Mr Trmbly has been in good health and doing well from this article.

http://girardpress.com/stories/090606/loc_20060906030.shtml

Maybe he is away from home with his pony ride business to really attend to the rest. Susan must be trying to help him sell horses because there is a link to her site for his horses. Susan, have you seen these horses lately? Did he let you know that he is having problems in keeping weight on them? Did he ask for any help other than advertising for him? I too would like to know the whole story because horses just don't look like that with good care. Mary

Remember that this could be any of us. Life has a way of changing and we all know that. Instead of being negative (which unfortunately is easy for some to do) please remain positive and think of ideas to help and not stir the pot so to say.

If Vern had always been a responsible breeder, and it sounded like he was, then maybe finances, age, number of horses and weather more than likely had a hand in all this. He is admitting that some of the horses are thin and he isn't sure why. He is not denying there is a problem. There are members on this board that have written things I would border on neglect, just because a vet is up to 8 hour ago is not a excuse. I have hauled horses 12 hours to get looked at.

I will gladly hitch the trailer and head that direction if needed and I live 14 hours or more away. And not complain or blame him in any way. So instead of using that negative energy, which is NOT beneficial for anyone, please remain positive and try to find ways to help and offer to house horses or take feed or wormer or whatever needs to be done.

Remember we are in agreement, we love Miniature Horses and will do whatever needs to be done to help them. So use that energy to help not hurt the situtation.
I agree Kitty..life does throw you curve balls..BUT I feel like these horses need HELP..

thats why I said throw some hay over the fence..and I believe it would be best to talk to the guy..

Find out what IS going on....if he was "reported" before this must go on a while..and sorry it needs to be resolved. Whichever way is best for the HORSES.

Gotto add..IF you ever sold a horse..One of your Babies could be on this farm.. :no: :no:

Very good points 'Kitty'!

I am trying to get some people there personally to evaluate the situation and get some vets there to do the same!

The simplest way is to get an answer to the problem, not accuse or creat our own ideas of what is going on...and THEN...if he is not capable of caring for the horses, we can work (hopefully through him) on getting them fostered. Otherwise, other means are sometimes necessary when someone can't let of their animals for the better of the animals. But it isn't fair to jump to conclusions, until someone actually goes there.

I wish I was closer or even if I had the funding I would drive there to get some incite of what the problem is and how we all can help to fix it!
default_yes.gif
:

I sort of doubt if every single one of those horses pictured with bones protuding all have teeth issues. Wormy, more than likely. But to look at that many animals in one place that look like that and not think they are underfed? SERIOUSLY??

Hi Mary,

I had not seen that article but was going to mention how much the kids liked him. He did tell me when he called me last about 21 months ago around the Christmas before last, about how much the kids loved the little pony circle and how much he loved doing it. And from being around him I do not doubt it at all.

I knew he did not have internet and so back then I also volunteered to put a link to him and his phone number on my sale page. We were simply talking about the market and selling horses when I did. He is and was a friend. I have helped lots of friends sell their horses over the years.

I remember one person even emailed me that she went and looked at his horses from my site, but was not sure if she wanted to buy right then. She did not say they were thin at all at that time. It was sometime in the last two years I think.

I feel very bad for the thin ones and also for him. And I hope they both can be helped.

Susan O.

I agree that something must be done but getting overexcited and negative will not help. In disasters it is the people that keep their head that live and help othres. So everyone needs to take a deep breath, step back and be positive, and THINK of positive ways to help. It can still move quickly but laws are laws and unfortunately must be followed to stick in a court of law.

Blasting the breeder is not positive. Try to look past that. Try to stay focused on the horses. In my experiences it is the ones that yell the loudest that do nothing but stir the pot and then back out of the situation, leaving the work to be done by the rest.

I have been involved in horrific horse starvation cases and I noticed even then it was the ones that took in the whole situation that helped the most.

I applaud that everyone wants to help and it will happen, probably not in the next hour but I am sure very soon.

Got a reply..

Attorney General Paul Morrison has requested that I respond to your

e-mail regard the poor condition and treatment of the miniture horses in

Uniontown, Kansas.

In Kansas, the County Attorney has primary jurisdiction for filing

criminal charges, such as cruelty to animals, for criminal conduct

occuring within his or her county. The Attorney General is authorized

to step in at the request of a county attorney, generally due to a

conflict or interest or inexperience in major criminal cases. If Terri

Johnson, the Bourbon County Attorney, makes such a request, the Attorney

General will certainly be willing to evaluate the case and file any

charges that are warranted.

Additionally, the Kansas Animal Health Department may have jurisdiction

to take action. I am forwarding your e-mail to that Department with the

hope they can be of assistance.

Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention.

Sincerely,

Camille Nohe

Assistant Attorney General
I recieved this response also.

I feel very bad for the thin ones and also for him. And I hope they both can be helped.

Susan O.
Susan - Do you feel that you are in a position to hook him up directly with Gini/CMHR so that he can surrender the horses, at least those that are in VERY poor condition? Possibly make a trade for good quality hay? I know Gini said that CMHR couldn't handle all these horses, but from everyone that has come forward asking to help I would imagine they can now.

I'm also involved with an Iowa horse rescue that would be happy to take several in.

Thanks for trying,

Renee in Iowa

Blasting the breeder is not positive. Try to look past that. Try to stay focused on the horses. In my experiences it is the ones that yell the loudest that do nothing but stir the pot and then back out of the situation, leaving the work to be done by the rest.

I have no idea if this and your first post were directed to me or not, BUT, if it is, and to those others that may also be thinking this, I must say to you, you do not know what others have done to help, so do not insinuate that because people are voicing their DISGUST with this or any situation publicly that they do not care and do not offer to help by offering care or donations! You do not know all that goes on. :eek: BUT, just because people offer and give help for the horses, does not mean they cannot express their feelings and concerns for their well-being as well.

I sort of doubt if every single one of those horses pictured with bones protuding all have teeth issues. Wormy, more than likely. But to look at that many animals in one place that look like that and not think they are underfed? SERIOUSLY??
ANY animal with worms can be FED, & FED, & FED and they won't gain any weight. So there is no need to be so negative about it. If they were underfed, they would have eaten all the green that is in there reach and they obviously haven't. In the one picture you can see in the back is a pasture and some minis are out there grazing. So if worms is the issue, it doesn't matter how much they have to eat...you will ONLY see a decline in weight.

I do feel his negligence is not getting a vet to come look at his horses. So once we establish that this is done and then if he isn't able to care for them all~we should help with homes for them to go to.

Very good point! Everyone getting negative haven't been there themselves, or have you considered the reasons for the weight loss. Not just let's take his horses and he down right doesn't deserve them. What if he is an "old timer" and what worked back then, won't work now. I think he is probably doing the best he knew how and now he needs help.

In my experiences it is the ones that yell the loudest that do nothing but stir the pot and then back out of the situation, leaving the work to be done by the rest.
Thanks to all who are offering ideas as resolutions and any assistance with funding will be greatly appreciated too!

[SIZE=12pt]I am just curious, how many are actually there??? it says 75-125 that is a big difference, and we are seeing 10-15 in the pictures, do they all look this bad? Are they on a pasture? There is alot being left out, I agree these horses need help, are they wormy, are they starving.....Would the person that was there like to post more info? Who was there to show them the horses, Was it the owner? I wish I was closer I would drive over and check it out first hand. I did pass this on to our club, hopefully someone is near there that can give us more info as well.
default_sad.png
[/SIZE]

Renee,

I honestly do not know if he will surrender any or not.

I think we will know more after someone goes there and sees just what the pasture/feed situation is like.

I will call and offer to help him pay for a vet and/or someone to do their teeth etc. but I tried him a few minutes ago and he does not answer now.

Susan O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back