75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry Mona if you would feel that I would direct anything at you because I wouldn't. I am not that kind of person.

I have seen a dozen cases of starvation over the last 20 years and have heard excuses that would make you cringe including what I mentioned in my post. My thoughts were directed at the Minature board as a whole and any other horse owner. I myself own a beautiful leopard appy gelding (that was a 2 yr old stallion at the time that cost me another $350.00 to geld because his testicles were up) that was the worst case of starvation my vet or I have ever seen. EVERY SINGLE BONE ON HIS BODY WAS VISIBLE and he weighed about 350 pounds. I paid $750.00 and had to give her a trailer to get him because the person thought he was fine. And he had strangles on top of it. He has to chew with his head extended because of it. And you know what she said when she say him a year later and he grew 4 inches and gained over 600 pounds. "If I had know he would have gotten that tall I wouldn't have sold him". I would NEVER let him have that kind of home again and we have had him over 6 years now and he still is greenbroke
default_smile.png

It is very easy to get excited over starvation or abuse cases and it is better to step back and think of the positive ways to help and if you have negative thoughts write them on a piece of paper.

[SIZE=12pt]I am just curious, how many are actually there??? it says 75-125 that is a big difference, and we are seeing 10-15 in the pictures, do they all look this bad? Are they on a pasture? There is alot being left out, I agree these horses need help, are they wormy, are they starving.....Would the person that was there like to post more info? Who was there to show them the horses, Was it the owner? I wish I was closer I would drive over and check it out first hand. I did pass this on to our club, hopefully someone is near there that can give us more info as well.
default_sad.png
[/SIZE]

We are working on getting someone there that has the knowledge to inform us more on the situation.

As soon as we have more info...will post here!

Thanks for the concern and good questions.

[SIZE=12pt]If no one has checked into this by tomorrow, Susan O. Can you PM me his phone number, or maybe since you know him call him for me and see if he would be willing to let me come to his place, if we can get a number of how many horses, I will bring wormer, and we can get to work at getting everyone de-wormed, and get them some hay if they don't have any. I will work with him if he will allow it. To at least get them on the start of recovery, if it is teeth problems that will take a vet, and/or any medical problems, but I am willing to not sit here and talk about it, but to get off my rear and help him. I am around 4-5 hour drive from there, but if no one local can get in gear then I will. I can't offer to take in any more than I already have here, so I can only offer my help. But if it means working with him to help the horses, I would rather do that than to let them go on any longer needing attention. ~Michele[/SIZE]

One point that has not been raised is- Is this man still on the property??

It is possible he is in Hospital, In care- whatever-

It is probably a priority to find out what the situation actually is.

To those who think they know what this Forum does in a crisis- BACK OFF!!

I KNOW I sound negative- maybe venting is not very productive but I just get sick and tired of everyone trying to see the owners point of view.

If he is still alive there is NO excuse.

NONE.

Not one.

And we do NOT speak loudly and run away- if you did a search in the archive you would see for yourselves what we do.

I really do not appreciate that sort of accusation.

I say again, I, at this point, do not CARE what his excuses are.

I no longer care that he is a nice person.

Just how many nice people do you know that will starve their animals???

If he is eating then there is no excuse I want to hear for letting th3e animals starve.

Here is his ad with the phone no. so you can talk with him.

Vern Trembly of Trembly Tiny Trails, in Uniontown, Kansas has a large number of minis of all ages and colors for sale! But he does not have email. If you are close to there or happen to know him from his over 40 years in the minis, give him a call to ask about his horses. I bought my stallion Vega Light Vant Huttenest from him 12 years ago when he was still in Colorado.
default_smile.png
His number is 620-224-7320.

[SIZE=12pt]If no one has checked into this by tomorrow, Susan O. Can you PM me his phone number, or maybe since you know him call him for me and see if he would be willing to let me come to his place, if we can get a number of how many horses, I will bring wormer, and we can get to work at getting everyone de-wormed, and get them some hay if they don't have any. I will work with him if he will allow it. To at least get them on the start of recovery, if it is teeth problems that will take a vet, and/or any medical problems, but I am willing to not sit here and talk about it, but to get off my rear and help him. I am around 4-5 hour drive from there, but if no one local can get in gear then I will. I can't offer to take in any more than I already have here, so I can only offer my help. But if it means working with him to help the horses, I would rather do that than to let them go on any longer needing attention. ~Michele[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt] Please folks remember this is not about each other and our opinions it is about the welfare of these horses! We need to work together in a non accusatory manner if these horses are to be helped. Authorities have been notified and made aware of this horrific situation and hopefully help will soon be there for them. We are a large group with a loud voice lets keep our attention on the horses and their well being. [/SIZE]

you guys are all terrific and a pat on the back to everyone.

Gini and Jess

The Sheriff and County Attorney has been contacted today and a Vet is on the way to check out the horses and make a determination.

Please keep up the good work. Your e-mails are working.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHOOPS MADE A MISTAKE! mARY

I KNOW I sound negative- maybe venting is not very productive but I just get sick and tired of everyone trying to see the owners point of view.

NONE.

Not one.

And we do NOT speak loudly and run away- if you did a search in the archive you would see for yourselves what we do.

If he is eating then there is no excuse I want to hear for letting th3e animals starve.

Jane, If you read all the posts I think you will find that someone did just phone him recently and I posted the article from the first of the month on him giving the rides at that time. Mary

NONE.

Not one.

this article was about September 6, 2006

Well it looks like Mr Trmbly has been in good health and doing well from this article.

http://girardpress.com/stories/090606/loc_20060906030.shtml

Maybe he is away from home with his pony ride business to really attend to the rest. Susan must be trying to help him sell horses because there is a link to her site for his horses. Susan, have you seen these horses lately? Did he let you know that he is having problems in keeping weight on them? Did he ask for any help other than advertising for him? I too would like to know the whole story because horses just don't look like that with good care. Mary
That article is from 2006, alot can happen in over a year.

I sort of doubt if every single one of those horses pictured with bones protuding all have teeth issues. Wormy, more than likely. But to look at that many animals in one place that look like that and not think they are underfed? SERIOUSLY??
ANY animal with worms can be FED, & FED, & FED and they won't gain any weight. So there is no need to be so negative about it.

Thanks to all who are offering ideas as resolutions and any assistance with funding will be greatly appreciated too!
I'm sorry if you feel I'm only being negative and not helpful. You can see in another post I did offer assistance from the Iowa Equine rescue I'm involved with.

I'm familiar with worms, I worked at a vet clinic for a few years and have done rescue work for several years. Based on those experiences, and based on the pictures provided, it would appear that those horses are not being fed enough, or not being fed something with enough nutrition. And it's also highly likely that they are wormy.

I'm all for helping the man out if that will help the horses, but I sure hope there are some safeguards put in place so that the same thing doesn't happen again somewhere down the line.

If there is a need for assistance with fostering of these horses, please feel free to contact Iowa Equine Rescue and Awareness League. I am the foster coordinator and would be happy to help in any way that we are able.

Renee in Iowa

I KNOW how its in Tennessee..not only are you allowed to feed..BUT even recover your expenses.. :aktion033:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

39-14-207 Feeding of impounded animals -- Care provided by humane society -- Recovery of expenses.

(a) In case any impounded animal is without necessary food and water for more than twelve (12) successive hours, it is lawful for any person, as often as necessary, to enter any place in which any animal is so confined, and to supply it with necessary food and water so long as it shall remain so confined. Such person shall not be liable to any action for such entry, and the reasonable cost of such food and water may be collected from the owner or keeper of the animal. The animal shall not be exempt from levy and sale upon execution issued upon a judgment therefor.
That's AFTER the animals are already impounded by authorities..."Feeding of impounded animals".

I sort of doubt if every single one of those horses pictured with bones protuding all have teeth issues. Wormy, more than likely. But to look at that many animals in one place that look like that and not think they are underfed? SERIOUSLY??
ANY animal with worms can be FED, & FED, & FED and they won't gain any weight. So there is no need to be so negative about it.

Thanks to all who are offering ideas as resolutions and any assistance with funding will be greatly appreciated too!
I'm sorry if you feel I'm only being negative and not helpful. You can see in another post I did offer assistance from the Iowa Equine rescue I'm involved with.

I'm familiar with worms, I worked at a vet clinic for a few years and have done rescue work for several years. Based on those experiences, and based on the pictures provided, it would appear that those horses are not being fed enough, or not being fed something with enough nutrition. And it's also highly likely that they are wormy.

I'm all for helping the man out if that will help the horses, but I sure hope there are some safeguards put in place so that the same thing doesn't happen again somewhere down the line.

If there is a need for assistance with fostering of these horses, please feel free to contact Iowa Equine Rescue and Awareness League. I am the foster coordinator and would be happy to help in any way that we are able.

Renee in Iowa
Point taken. We are on the same page!
default_yes.gif
:

I know they must have something to eat, just may not be the proper nutrition.

When we find out the cause, we are all in this to do the right thing and get the horses the care they need and deserve.

*Thanks for the explaination*

Angela In Kansas
default_wink.png
:

Yes a lot can happen in over a year but someone did say they talked with him just recently.....I did say that I made a mistake if you would have read that also. There is no excuse for letting a herd of minis go to almost looking like they are ready to drop dead, as they do. If he can answer a phone then he was at least able to call someone for help for those poor horses! Mary

Well it looks like Mr Trmbly has been in good health and doing well from this article.

http://girardpress.com/stories/090606/loc_20060906030.shtml

Maybe he is away from home with his pony ride business to really attend to the rest. Susan must be trying to help him sell horses because there is a link to her site for his horses. Susan, have you seen these horses lately? Did he let you know that he is having problems in keeping weight on them? Did he ask for any help other than advertising for him? I too would like to know the whole story because horses just don't look like that with good care. Mary
That article is from 2006, alot can happen in over a year.

Renee,

I honestly do not know if he will surrender any or not.

I think we will know more after someone goes there and sees just what the pasture/feed situation is like.

I will call and offer to help him pay for a vet and/or someone to do their teeth etc. but I tried him a few minutes ago and he does not answer now.

Susan O.

Susan -

Our group had a large donation of wormer. Expiration was 1/07 but it should be fine. If you can find a tactful way to offer that we will ship it. . . my only concern is that these horses appear to be in pretty bad shape right now and worming will have to be done very carefully.

I sure hope he's willing to do something if it is as bad as it appears. . .and it appears pretty bad from the photos. Many of those horses aren't going to be able to hang on much longer. :no:

Renee in Iowa

You know if he is aware they are thin and making attempts to get the weight back on then we shouldn't be so quick to assume they have no food. I am not making any judgements until I either see it in person, OR hear what the vet determines.
I have been reading this and I see absolutely NO REASON, NO EXCUSE for letting ANY ANIMAL get into this kind of condition...and saying there are 100 animals with only a few very thin doesn`t cut it either. If you cannot take care of them properly...then DO NOT HAVE THEM....

And it looks like they are grazing a chemical dump..whats up with that????

I have no sympathy for their owner..none whatsoever.

There is no excuse...plain and simple. :eek:

Thanks to everyone who is trying to help. This is just sickening! :no:

I live 5 hours from the location. I could take up to 20 of the horses should the authorities decide to place them and/or the owner decide to surrender them. I can't keep them forever, but I could do it long-term (until appropriate homes could be found). I can worm, vaccinate, farrier and feed them, but if one needs some catastrophic medical care, I wouldn't be in a position to handle that. I have a trailer that can hold up to 20+ and can pick them up or transport to another location if that is needed. If someone close to the investigation wants to PM me, feel free. I'll do what I can. My hearts aches for these little horses.

Last edited:
As your region 13 AMHA Director, I have just been on the phone with Under Sheriff Kase and he assured me that Sheriff Harold Coleman of Bourbon County is on his way to the farm right now. Hopefully we will get some response. I will try to stay in contact and keep you posted.

Larry Elniff

I thank God someone did take those photos. Without intervention by someone, whether the owner or someone else, those minis do not appear that they would have made it much longer. SOMETHING is very wrong there!

Thanks Michelle for the update. And bless you Renee for the offer of the wormer. What kind is it? We've had good luck using Safeguard for 5 days straight and then waiting a week, worming once and then going to every 30 days for a while. Even the extremely wormy ones have not had problems with this system. Maybe this could be tried??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back